Direct from Factory Purchase - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,132, Level: 18 Points: 1,132, Level: 18 Points: 1,132, Level: 18
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Direct from Factory Purchase

Not sure where this fits in, so I'll just post this here.

Since purchasing my Commander back in December, my wife has decided she likes it and as such has pretty much absconded with it. I'm stuck, of course, with her old car. Its a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. It was great when we first got it, but once it hit 100,000 miles, the thing has started to totally fall apart. Its currently got about 135,000 miles on it and needs a new CV joint, some transmission work, and a couple of other minor tweaks - which will cost somewhere between $3 and 5k depending on where I take it.

That strikes me as a perfect downpayment on ANOTHER Jeep (Commander, or GC, or whatever). And so, I've been looking around. For some reason, I can't get the same deals now in late January/early Feb that I could in December.

As luck would have it, I ended up on a connection through Detroit last night. The lady sitting next to me was the Mayor of a Detroit suburb on her way to DC to meet with Obama. We struck up a great conversation for 3 hours (ugh, we were stuck on the runway) and over the course of it we discussed the auto industry and of course my recent Jeep Purchase, my love of all my old jeeps, and my desire to purchase another one (which was probably made by her constitutents). She suggested, since the dealers on the East Coast are playing games, to buy direct from the factory. She said I could fly to Detroit and make the purchase direct from Chrysler and pick it up at the factory and then drive it back.

Anyway, I've been trying to research this option tonight, but haven't seen anything about it. What she described sounded almost like the European pick up options you can get on Mercedes and BMW and Volvo, etc (all byt te nice vacation to europe).

Anyone know if this can be done?? Is there a savings?? How much will they negotiate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Was she the mayor of Southfield? She's a piece of work!
The only factory pick up program I 'm aware of is with Corvettes. But you can only watch you vehicle being built, and the devilvery is at the corvette museum, near by.

Last edited by Motorcity; 02-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

2006 Commander limited all options
2006 Nissian Nismo
2009 Lexus SC430

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Points: 268, Level: 5 Points: 268, Level: 5 Points: 268, Level: 5
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
Was she the mayor of Southfield? She's a piece of work!
Haha! She couldn't be worse than Kwame could she? What's up with the Politicians around here?

Sorry mcformica, wish I had an answer for you.

2003 50th Anniversary Corvette Z06
2000 Ford Excursion Limited
2007 Jeep Commander XK Sport 4x4, 4.7L V8 Flexfuel
w/Heated Leather, Remote Start, Adjustable Pedals, Homelink, Tow Package, Automatic Headlights, Smartbeam, Rear Park Assist, Auto Dim Mirror

It's not what you take with you that is important, it's what you leave behind.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,132, Level: 18 Points: 1,132, Level: 18 Points: 1,132, Level: 18
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Oh do tell.

Yes she was.

I was actually impressed, as she seemed like a nice enough person and actually self critical enough of Kwame and Charlie Rangle, etc. Based on my 3 hours with her, I walked away impressed. Had a good conversation about education, issues with labor unions in education (and the auto industry), tax policy, John Dingell and Henry Waxman and Nancy Pelosi, whether Obama will be successful or not, agricultural policy, food policy and school lunch programs, alternative educational programs and charter schools and influencing and enticing kids to stay in school and get a job when they grow up in a family/household where for 3 or 4 generations no one has ever worked and has only lived off the state.

Actually, I walked away incredibly impressed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Sounds like the old buy a brand new WWII jeep still in the crate story to me

I have not worked in the auto industry for a few years ... but here in Canada the "pick up at the factory" story was a myth at that time ...

.... not even emloyees of the factory who worked on their own cars could drive a new car away from the plant that they bought.

The cars HAD to be trucked to a dealer and paper work signed there before they were allowed to be driven.

It could be different now I guess ... but if so it's news to me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

My bet is that ONLY politicians can get away with that scam... not us mushrooms and once you try and get plates in your native state, they'll tax the beeee hey sus outta ya. In the end you'll be wishing you just went through the dealer.

KKKKFL
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6882 View Post
I like the pop corn one better

Plus what kind of Chicken has a 3 foot long drumstick bone
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headman View Post
Haha! She couldn't be worse than Kwame could she? What's up with the Politicians around here?

Sorry mcformica, wish I had an answer for you.
From what I recall she was a backer of kwame. But hopefully we have gotten rid of him. He just got out of jail, and is in Texas trying to get a job. Good riddens to him, the damage he has done to Michigans image will take years to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in