Yahoo! Rates Commander as Worst Car for the Money - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 140,000
Yahoo! Rates Commander as Worst Car for the Money

Here's the blurb from the article:
"Full-Size SUV: Jeep Commander
The Jeep Commander is a good choice for off-road enthusiasts, but buyers who spend the majority of their time on the pavement should look elsewhere. U.S. News ranks the Commander last among large SUVs. Its cost of ownership over five-years is $10,000 more than the Mazda CX-9 crossover and even higher than the popular Chevrolet Tahoe, another off-road-ready vehicle. While the Commander's sub-$30K sticker may look appealing, this big SUV is expected to depreciate 50 to 60 percent over five years. Sales were down 56 percent last year, and there's speculation that it may be discontinued after 2009.

Better values: If you're in the market for a full-size SUV, the Chevrolet Tahoe and Mazda CX-9 are worth a look."

My question is: Where does this information come from? Who wrote the article? And what makes this person knowledgable enough about the subject to write this article?

I gave up on automobile magazines a long time ago because they are clearly biased towards the rice and kraut burning cars. They would regularly contradict themselves as well. I remember that 15 years ago, they mocked some of the American luxury car offerings for having tufted leather in "odd colors" like burgundy and deep blues. Recently, they touted the wonders of a Maserati offering with its deep tufted red leather seats. "It's so luxurious."

So what's their deal? Maybe I am the only one, but I think it's beyond aggrevating that automobile publishers aren't more supportive of American makes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Another article about a car from someone who knows nothing about what they speak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Points: 2,441, Level: 29 Points: 2,441, Level: 29 Points: 2,441, Level: 29
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidation View Post
Here's the blurb from the article:
"Full-Size SUV: Jeep Commander
The Jeep Commander is a good choice for off-road enthusiasts, but buyers who spend the majority of their time on the pavement should look elsewhere. U.S. News ranks the Commander last among large SUVs. Its cost of ownership over five-years is $10,000 more than the Mazda CX-9 crossover and even higher than the popular Chevrolet Tahoe, another off-road-ready vehicle. While the Commander's sub-$30K sticker may look appealing, this big SUV is expected to depreciate 50 to 60 percent over five years. Sales were down 56 percent last year, and there's speculation that it may be discontinued after 2009.

Better values: If you're in the market for a full-size SUV, the Chevrolet Tahoe and Mazda CX-9 are worth a look."

My question is: Where does this information come from? Who wrote the article? And what makes this person knowledgable enough about the subject to write this article?

I gave up on automobile magazines a long time ago because they are clearly biased towards the rice and kraut burning cars. They would regularly contradict themselves as well. I remember that 15 years ago, they mocked some of the American luxury car offerings for having tufted leather in "odd colors" like burgundy and deep blues. Recently, they touted the wonders of a Maserati offering with its deep tufted red leather seats. "It's so luxurious."

So what's their deal? Maybe I am the only one, but I think it's beyond aggrevating that automobile publishers aren't more supportive of American makes.

the car mags over here helped in the demise of the UK car industry. I don't trust what i read from a magazine supported by advertising

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Like the article says... the Commander is a poor value if used on pavement, but good value for off road enthusiasts. You could say the very same thing about a 1946 Dodge Power Wagon with 40'' tires and a PTO winch too. Give me a break.

From what I seen of shock mounts, crossbeams etc. hanging down underneath on a LOT of SUV's (usually when I'm behind one at a traffic light) they're best used as a 'pavement' 4x4. Look at this photo and tell me how many things hang down underneath. NOTHING, because it's designed for going OFF road. Yes, it's a luxury-mobile, but nevertheless fully capable of OFF roading.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Man you beat me to it, I was just about to post the link to the article.......I think with the recession going on and the gas price explosion from last year, there is huge biased opinion towards vehicles that dont seem to fit in the "green wave" that's going on now. But I can say that this is my first Jeep, and looking aound my town, I cant go one day driving around without seeing atleast 5 other Commanders in my area alone. It's not a Honda so don't expect 50 mpg, but if anything can get me from Greenville NC to Maryland on one tank of gas like my XK did, that's value enough. Although the resale value on Jeeps is not very good, Jeeps last a very long time, I can honestly say I have probably seen one jeep in my life standed on the side of the road. The guy the wrote that article probably drives a prius that runs on BS...........
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

They have a point on the depreciation too. Compared to a lot of other vehicles, the Commanders have lost a lot of value in very little time.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
They have a point on the depreciation too. Compared to a lot of other vehicles, the Commanders have lost a lot of value in very little time.

Thats why we bought a "gently used" one We looked at the new ones and desided that they were alittle much for our wallet but a used one was do-able... the initial depreciation hit you guys took could pay my college tuition for a year!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Ughh, Mazda CX-9 are you serious?! How is that considered a full-size SUV? It looks like a giant egg. How do you compare a XK and a CX-9? really...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
Like the article says... the Commander is a poor value if used on pavement, but good value for off road enthusiasts. You could say the very same thing about a 1946 Dodge Power Wagon with 40'' tires and a PTO winch too. Give me a break.

From what I seen of shock mounts, crossbeams etc. hanging down underneath on a LOT of SUV's (usually when I'm behind one at a traffic light) they're best used as a 'pavement' 4x4. Look at this photo and tell me how many things hang down underneath. NOTHING, because it's designed for going OFF road. Yes, it's a luxury-mobile, but nevertheless fully capable of OFF roading.
Adondo makes a good point... I pulled up behind a late-model Tahoe this morning - all sorts of hardware drooping below the frame. No way I'd take a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/YukonXL on any serious off-roading as a stock-model.

Since I plan on running my XK into the dirt, I'd rather trade the cheaper up-front price - which, BTW, factors in that same deprediation rate - than pay much more $$$$ up front simply to feel better about my "investment." Come on, all vehicles drop thousands the moment you leave the dealer lot and for those of us that plan on keeping our "classics" it really doesn't matter.

In this new economic era, the days of leasing for two years or trading in every three are over, period. What is a good value, and will last for many years and many, many miles is what matters now. IMHO the Jeep Commander is a good value under these circumstances.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

The Jeep Commander is a good choice for off-road enthusiasts...

I'm covered.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in