Minivan transmission?!? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Minivan transmission?!?

I just had the transmission serviced by the same place where we do our company trucks. They’re a trusted transmission rebuilding business, with a perfect BBB rating. A few years ago, they rebuilt my Durango’s transmission, and it worked great ‘til the day I traded it for the Commander.

So… I’m thinking I can safely believe what they say when I picked up the Jeep after it was done. One of the mechanics said ‘’You made a good choice with buying that Jeep.’’ I asked why and we got into a discussion of Jeep running gear. They had just worked on a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. The guy had burned up the reverse clutches in it, and it was expensive to rebuild. The guys thought its transmission was light duty, with only 2 reverse clutch packs and the like, so the shop foreman looked up the part numbers in a cross reference.

Turns out, the Wrangler has a V6 engine as the only option for a real good reason – the Wrangler, Rubicon included, uses the same transmission as a Dodge Caravan. The transmission is turned sideways in the Caravan, of course, as it’s a transverse setup. The end case housing is different, but the innards are all the same. A 4.7L or Hemi would rip its guts out, and warranty might never cover them. Apparently, the burned up clutches weren’t covered, Chrysler decided it was ‘’abuse’’ so the Rubicon owner had to foot the bill. They said the rest of the Jeep running gear is okay, (Dana axles etc.) but the tranny is a bad weak link.

The tranny in the XK however is also used in Mercedes M class vehicles. According to the tranny shop guys, mine will probably never fail. The fluid was still clean and red with its 32,000 miles on it. It’s the first service on my XK as the manual calls for every 30k miles, and things looked like they’ve never been touched. The XK transmission also has two filters, one being a spin-on filter. It’s a tough tranny besides which the computer’s drive-by-wire limits the torque fed to it. I’ve noticed that too. Put your foot hard to the floor sometime - the computer will let up on the throttle for you and reapply it after the shift. It feels like a manual transmission shifting. That really saves wear and tear on bands and clutches.

It’s not the cheapest thing to service because of the synthetic type 4 fluid, but at least it’s every 30k miles. The shop says they usually recommend service every 20k miles for most typical cars. It was $175 for the tranny and transfer case service. The transfer case uses special Mopar fluid made just for the NP245 and nothing else. (Needless to say, Chrysler dealers see you coming for the fluid costs!)

I can sleep better now, knowing that I almost bought a 4 door Wrangler. Now, I’m REALLY glad I didn’t go that route. I don’ want no stinkin’ minivan transmission in MY Jeep Commander!

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Points: 2,051, Level: 27 Points: 2,051, Level: 27 Points: 2,051, Level: 27
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Send a message via AIM to Firstjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Firstjeep
Is the trans on the V6 models the same as the V8 models?

2008 Commander Sport 3.7L QT1 Light Greystone with Khaki Interior Popular Power and Third row Completely stock with a wish list building!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Always interesting to read your posts. I learn a lot. Thanks.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79 Points: 15,238, Level: 79
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

X2 you always provide a good read. The engine and trans in the JK is from the minivan and from what I have heard on other forums they are nothing but trouble. I have also heard that when they do work they are seriously underpowered. The one reason I did not get a 4 door JK is for the engine and the transmission. Good info Adondo and thanks.

Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount

HILLBILLY DELUXE
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Good info!!! That is good to know. Thanks!!!

2006 Silver Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, Chrome Fuel Door, Sunroof, Rusty's 2" Lift Kit, Moto Metal M0950 Rims, Goodyear Silent Armor 255/70/17, Front Skid Plate, 4XGuard Belly Skid Plate, RR Supersliders, Chrome Front Tow Hooks, AEM Brute Force Intake, and WeatherTech Floorliners. See Pics
Semper Fi
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

When yall talk of the tranny, are you differentiating between QT1, QD2, QD or is the difference just in the transfer case setup? Am I making sense? Is the basic automatic tranny in the Commander the same for all engine packages?

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18 Points: 1,175, Level: 18
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

That's a good thread! I think I might be able to sleep a little better at night!

Good day to be alive Sir
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstjeep View Post
Is the trans on the V6 models the same as the V8 models?
I'm sure all XK's have the same transmission. The paddle shift is part of the whole setup. There's a couple of transfer case options though. If it has a two speed case and/or the little T-bar shifter, then it's the NP245. The other is the single (speed) mode unit. Both are built tough.

One thing I like about that tidbit of info is on forums etc. where JK owners think their excrement is odorless as they look down their noses at XK owners for not buying a ''real'' Jeep. My reply to that is ''It's too bad the Rubicon doesn't have a ''real'' transmission underneath it.''

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

If I were to ever get sick of the XK id buy a 2 door JK and just swap in a 4.7 Liter engine and tranny out of a Commander or Grand Cherokee. Then I wouldnt have to worry about the garbage 3.8 liter engine and tranny they use.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I was thinking about this earlier... wouldn't it be just as likely that the minivan has the same transmission as the Wrangler, rather than the other way around?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be a positive selling point to say that, "Hey, look at this Caravan, it has the same transmission as the WRANGLER! You know that it has to be good."

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in