Buyers remorse??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Buyers remorse???

Hello I am a new member and new owner of a commander. I could not pass up the great deal on a new 2008 commander 3.7L with Quadra trac 1. While I am not a hard core off roader I do hunt and fish and need a capable vehicle. I am finding out that the QT1 4wd system is about the same as Suburu or awd mini-van. I am just curious on how to improve its off road capabilities. I had 2001 JGC with select trac and loved it.

Is it possible to put a locker in the rear-end and would it work with the QT1 transfer case. If so how much would it cost and what manufacturer would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

No lockers available as of yet. Your best bet may be new tires with a better tread pattern. Go out and give the QT1 a chance though. You may be pleasantly surprised.

06 Sport-4.7L with QT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Don't worry the Quadratrac I is a good system. With the right tires and lift you can do just about anything the other systems can do. Try it out for a while before you get too upset.

ARB has not listed a locker for it yet but they do have it as TBA. Hopefully that means it will get done someday. The best way to push them would be to call or e-mail and ask.

In the hopes of getting a 4WD low for the QT1 I have been following two paths. I have been in contact with Advance Adapters. One of their people there has been working with me on determining a configuration that would replace the NV140(QT1) with a 2 speed Atlas transfer case. You wouldn't have AWD anymore you would have 2WD(Rear) High, 2WD (Rear) Low, 2WD (Front) Low, 4WD High and 4WD Low with a Low ratio as low as 6:1. He's trying to figure out the configuration that will work. I'm guessing it would be around $2500 without installation but don't quote me on that. Contact Advance Adapters and ask but don't mention that you heard about it here. We want them to think there is as much demand as possible.

The other option is also through Advance Adapters. It is called the Rubicrawler. It is designed for Wranglers and sits between the Transmission and the Transfer case in place of the stock adapter. It provides either the 1:1 ratio or a 2.72:1 ratio on top of the existing. This currently DOES NOT work with our NAG1 Transmission or the NV140 transfer case. I believe that the only reason that it doesn't work is because of the bolt patters between the two items. It seems like a small change. The Wrangler Rubicrawler is still in testing but should be out this summer. Call them or e-mail them and ask that it be modified for the Commander QT1. Put as much pressure on them as you can. Let them know that there is a demand out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander 3.7L QTI, Front tow hook(rear hook from a TJ!) Mopar tank skid, overboard on board air.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

X2 on the lift and tires.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I would at least go with new tires. I got axle deep in mud with my 3.7 and got out but it was a bit of a scare with the Forteras. As soon as I wore those out I put on Firestone Destination A/T's. They suit my occational off road path/trail just fine and I did not have to drop a huge amount of cash.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

x3 on the tires and lift - have an '06 3.7 with QT1 and have loved where it has taken us - not an extreme vehicle, but a lot of fun and very capable. Amazing the difference tires alone will make.

2006 Inferno Red 3.7L 4x4 QTI, RR 2.25" Lift, AEV Pintler 17x8.5" Wheels, 255/75-17 BFG M/T KMs, K&N CAI 77-1545KP, MagnaFlow Muffler, 4XGuard Side Guards, Rear Grab Handles, Front Tow Hooks and OEM Trailer Hitch, Fog Lights, Yakima MegaWarrior w/ Extension and 4XGuard Belly Guard.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Thank you all for the insightful information. Overall, I am very pleased with the Commander. Ironically, my wife came up with a great idea at least for me. She said she would buy or make me a fake 4Lo lever or button. So that would at least alleviate my need to engage something before I go off road. Saves me big bucks too!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
If you REALLY want a Locker out of a QDII could be swaped in ... going to be pricey though!

Unless you do a lot of mug boggin' you shoud be fine with thr stock set up the breaks will pulse to operate like a locker .. check out some videos on you tube or achives here for examples
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Points: 304, Level: 6 Points: 304, Level: 6 Points: 304, Level: 6
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

I was also very leary of the Quadra Trac. I put a lift and some Buckshot Mudders on it as soon as I bought it. And I took it to Kansas Turkey Hunting this spring and I got to test it in some of the worst Gumbo mud I have ever seen. It walked right past a stuck Suburban, Pathfinder, and a Chevy truck. (all of the 4x4's) All of which were stuck and the drivers had walked out. I just drove right past them and was amazed at the QT system. I worry no more. I know a lot of guys on here dont like Buckshots, but for the mud, you cant beat them.

Dont worry about your 4x4 system. Just put some good mud tires on there and it will take you anywhere you want to go. But plan on bad MPG. I got 17 mpg on my first tank, buit after the Buckshots 14 is the best I get. I only get 12 in town. But man that thing will eat mud for dinner and ask for seconds!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Points: 1,938, Level: 26 Points: 1,938, Level: 26 Points: 1,938, Level: 26
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Buyer's remorse??? Maybe a little after reading all the threads. Did I purchase a money pit? Why does it seem there are an extraordinary number of problems and issues with these vehicles? Are people just unlucky? Are they abusing their vehicles? I have had mine for 2 weeks--'06 3.7 It had 42,400 miles on it when I bought it. Only thing so far is the left front directional is not working. Hopefully just a bulb or fuse, but is this just the beginning? I love the thing otherwise--rides great despite the V6. Fine for what I will be doing with it. I'm getting real nervous about these problems people say they are having. I guess only time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in