Rocks and Valleys, Harrison, MI - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rocks and Valleys, Harrison, MI

While up north this weekend I went on an impromptu off road adventure. I ran into a couple of guys with heavily modded Wranglers in Rose City, MI. I couldn't help but ask if they knew of anything in the area. They said there wasn't much in that area but that they were heading to a place called "Rocks and Valleys" on the 4th.

I knew that I would be on my way back to the Metro Detroit area on the 4th but I thought I could spare a couple of hours on the trails if I got up a little earlier today.

I hadn't heard of this place so I thought it might be worth checking out. They break their trails into 3 categories, Green, Blue and Black. Green is pretty tame. Blue became more challenging, closer to pushing the limit of my XK and more importantly the limit of my daughter who was the passenger for this expedition. Black, well, let's just say I didn't want to have to be towed home.

Like most of northern Michigan, there was a great deal of sand. Not too much mud but I was able to find some. Unfortunately, it was probably the most foul smelling mud I've played it yet. Most of the trails wander through the woods. Many have artificially placed boulders, trees and mounds of sand to cause you to push the flexing limit of your rig.

It's around 200 acres so it's not really a multi day place. Well at least not for me since I avoided the black trails. I only spent 2 hours there so I would head up there again with a group of Commanders if the trip was set up.

I was annoyed by a cherokee driver on the trails that called me crazy for driving a new commander in there. Of course, that meant that I had to go wherever he went.

Sorry I have no pictures. I didn't exactly plan on hitting the trails this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Commander 3.7L QTI, Front tow hook(rear hook from a TJ!) Mopar tank skid, overboard on board air.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderChaos View Post
Sorry I have no pictures. I didn't exactly plan on hitting the trails this weekend.
No excuses. Don't they issue little pocket cameras with XKs anymore?

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I think that option was only available with the Limited. Alas, I have a lowly Sport.

2008 Commander 3.7L QTI, Front tow hook(rear hook from a TJ!) Mopar tank skid, overboard on board air.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderChaos View Post
I think that option was only available with the Limited. Alas, I have a lowly Sport.
That must have been it...

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Not even a few cell phone pics?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Send a message via Skype™ to TYMAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Not even a few cell phone pics?

x2

How about stopping at a corner store and buying a disposable?

Guess what I must say now? No Pictures means it didn't happen.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

The cell phone was out of charge but here is a photo of the aftermath.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Send a message via Skype™ to TYMAC
Is that a scratch and sniff? I can smell that mud from here.

BTW, I stopped by Autozone yesterday. They had a Slime portable air compressor for $60. Its all metal comprseeor unit, not the plastic junk. I bought it and tried it today. I aired down all of my tires and used it to refill each one. Took about 20 minutes for all 4 from 0 psi to 35 psi. Might be better with a portable tank like Ross is building. Comes in a nice little carring bag too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in