VIN sticker is missing from the drivers door. Production question. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
TprGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 117
VIN sticker is missing from the drivers door. Production question.

The VIN sticker on the drivers door has been peeled off. Is there any way to tell when my 2006 Commander was produced from the VIN? Thanks.
TprGTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Member
Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20 Points: 1,382, Level: 20
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TprGTO View Post
The VIN sticker on the drivers door has been peeled off. Is there any way to tell when my 2006 Commander was produced from the VIN? Thanks.
Check the position 10 of your VIN, if it say 6, then it was assembled in 2006.
Ichiban is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
TprGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
Check the position 10 of your VIN, if it say 6, then it was assembled in 2006.
Thanks. I am trying to find out exactly when it was produced. The VIN door sticker would have the month and year it was produced. I was wondering if the VIN would be able to narrow it down to month and year as well.
TprGTO is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
a49erFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 12,579
Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
The VIN would give you year only. Do you have the original window sticker? You can also order a replacement VIN sticker through the dealer if needed.



a49erFan is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
Points: 1,409, Level: 21 Points: 1,409, Level: 21 Points: 1,409, Level: 21
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Blackwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 130
Those stickers don't just peel off. Missing stickers are USUALLY a tell tale sign that the vehicle was involved in an accident involving the driver's side door and the door was either thoroughly painted or replaced. I don't know if you know this or not but it is just a heads up.
Blackwater is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
TprGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
Those stickers don't just peel off. Missing stickers are USUALLY a tell tale sign that the vehicle was involved in an accident involving the driver's side door and the door was either thoroughly painted or replaced. I don't know if you know this or not but it is just a heads up.
I am a State Trooper and well aware of that. I bought the vehicle used.
TprGTO is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
TprGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
The VIN would give you year only. Do you have the original window sticker? You can also order a replacement VIN sticker through the dealer if needed.
Thanks for the info.
TprGTO is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
robby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Desplaines IL.
Posts: 3,262
Tpr?
Try looking at various underhood components, like the alt case, rad hoses, air filter case etc.
These are usually date stamped and because of 'Just in time' part arrival the date stamped is usually the date the vehicle was assembled.
Look for two or more components with the same date.....that is usually the assembly date.
If you are lucky the previous owner threw the build sheet into the glove box or owners manual.
This even has the time of day stamped as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

Good luck,
Rob

edit: I just spent about 10 minutes looking at labels under the hood. No luck. Appears Jeep uses a coding system beyond date coding.
Sorry.
Rob

Last edited by robby; 07-05-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Adding information.
robby is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100 Points: 134,048, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Yeggster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario, Canada
Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by TprGTO View Post
The VIN sticker on the drivers door has been peeled off. Is there any way to tell when my 2006 Commander was produced from the VIN? Thanks.
I emailed Dodge through the contact form on web site and asked the exact production date on my Commander ... it took them a really long time to reply (like 2 months) but they gave me the exact date.

If you need the info sooner you should be able to call them?
Yeggster is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24 Points: 1,734, Level: 24
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
TprGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Tpr?
Try looking at various underhood components, like the alt case, rad hoses, air filter case etc.
These are usually date stamped and because of 'Just in time' part arrival the date stamped is usually the date the vehicle was assembled.
Look for two or more components with the same date.....that is usually the assembly date.
If you are lucky the previous owner threw the build sheet into the glove box or owners manual.
This even has the time of day stamped as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

Good luck,
Rob

edit: I just spent about 10 minutes looking at labels under the hood. No luck. Appears Jeep uses a coding system beyond date coding.
Sorry.
Rob
Thanks for info and for looking.
TprGTO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome