Jeep Commander Forum banner

Jeep problem?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  db_ohio 
#1 ·
My last car was a 1997 Jeep Cheroke sport 4-door 4x4........... 240,000 miles and not all on paved road! Traded it in last week for a 2006 Commander 3.7L 4x4. Love it, but one things seems to follow Jeep that I never hear discussed. In both trucks, old and new, when you turn on the fan for the defrost, heat etc... (sometimes without) there is an audible clicking or rattle on the passenger side that sometimes varies with the throttle. I had the same issue in my Cherokee Sport and never found the cause. My Dad the same issue in his 199 Grand Cherokee. I know someone else has to know about this, but I never see it discussed. I have mine in the shop as we speak............... anyone know what this is or how to stop it? I had the Truck three days, I love it so far, but far too early for this!

#2 ·
Same model here. You can expect plenty of wind noise and rattle sounds. Right now I have a rattle sound coming from the passanger's right door assist handle that I can't figure out how to fix. Dealership said could not duplicate of course. Other than that. Love it.

#3 ·
Speaking of rattles I now have developed one in the back seat area ....seems like it is just right behind my head when I am driving...cannot figure out where it is??? Anyone else have this and if so did you find it?

#4 ·
kmag51 said:
Speaking of rattles I now have developed one in the back seat area ....seems like it is just right behind my head when I am driving...cannot figure out where it is??? Anyone else have this and if so did you find it?
Check the second-row seat belt buckle... it can get smacking against the side of the C pillar. I slid mine down so it is held against the seat.

#5 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
Check the second-row seat belt buckle... it can get smacking against the side of the C pillar. I slid mine down so it is held against the seat.
Yeah, my passenger side was doing this. But I dont worry about the little rattles though, I mean put some DC's in the door pockets or a tire pressure gauge, screw drivers, batteries, digital camera, junk in door pockets, glove box and you have some of those 'noises'. I fix them all with that rotary knob on the dash.... you know, the one that turns up the classic rock?? Besides, going around and listenting for little rattles is a bit anal and non jeepish isnt it? :eek:

#7 ·
My back seats (second row) rattle as well. You can duplicate it by lightly hitting the backs of them. I did this for the service manager and he could not believe how much they did in fact rattle. He said he would check to see what can be done or if there are any service notices for the problem. I am going to keep on them because this should not be happening on any vehicle. I tried adjusting the seatbelts but it is definately in the seatbacks or the way they latch when in the upright position. I will keep you posted if I have in luck in finding resolution.

#8 ·
rubicontrail.net said:
I checked the buckle and it is fine. Sounds as if it is coming from the headliner somewhere on top of the passenger door??? The funny thing is today I didnt hear it at all and yesterday it was going nuts!!! If anybody finds a cure please let me know because I dont know where to look.

#9 ·
dmason390 said:
My last car was a 1997 Jeep Cheroke sport 4-door 4x4........... 240,000 miles and not all on paved road! Traded it in last week for a 2006 Commander 3.7L 4x4. Love it, but one things seems to follow Jeep that I never hear discussed. In both trucks, old and new, when you turn on the fan for the defrost, heat etc... (sometimes without) there is an audible clicking or rattle on the passenger side that sometimes varies with the throttle. I had the same issue in my Cherokee Sport and never found the cause. My Dad the same issue in his 199 Grand Cherokee. I know someone else has to know about this, but I never see it discussed. I have mine in the shop as we speak............... anyone know what this is or how to stop it? I had the Truck three days, I love it so far, but far too early for this!
Wow! Looks like your thread kinda got hi-jacked.

To try and answer your question:
My Rubicon did the same thing as well as the Commander. I've never taken the time to check the A/C compressor but I suspect that on the Jeep when you engage the climate control it turns it on, cold air or not. The clicking I believe would be the compressor engaing and disengaging (cycling).

Based upon my suspicion if I’m correct, I don’t like the fact that the compressor is on when I’m not requiring cold air. I believe running the compressor unnecessarily places more load on the engine, wear on the compressor, as well as poorer mileage.

-mike

#10 ·
Check the adjustable seat belt positions. Mine was about half way and the plastic strip was rattling every time I turned the radio up past 20. My driver door panel also rattles with loud music and I cannot figure it out, already had the dealer replace the speaker- no good. Before anyone posts " loud music and rattle ...hmm..." it is not happening on the other doors.

#11 ·
RUT ROW said:
Wow! Looks like your thread kinda got hi-jacked.

To try and answer your question:
My Rubicon did the same thing as well as the Commander. I've never taken the time to check the A/C compressor but I suspect that on the Jeep when you engage the climate control it turns it on, cold air or not. The clicking I believe would be the compressor engaing and disengaging (cycling).

Based upon my suspicion if I’m correct, I don’t like the fact that the compressor is on when I’m not requiring cold air. I believe running the compressor unnecessarily places more load on the engine, wear on the compressor, as well as poorer mileage.

-mike

You seem to be hitting on something. Yes, it does come and go and only when I turn on the heat or A/C. Interesting that more people don't have this problem!! Today it was gone, sometimes its loud, other times barely audible, but it definitely speeds up or slows down with the engine's idle. My Chroekee did it for over 100,000 miles as no one could ever find a solution. My Dad claims to have sprayed some WD 40 on some engine part and it dissapeared. I'll find out what and let you know. But you seem to have what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
I have experience that same noise (although more like a ticking sound) on my previous Jeep ('91 YJ) and my current '98 XJ. But not (yet?) on the JC .

My mechanic brother-in-law said somethin' to do with "lifters" and it's a common. Well, it explains with my 2 older Jeeps.

:confused:

#14 ·
Dabitz said:
Same model here. You can expect plenty of wind noise and rattle sounds. Right now I have a rattle sound coming from the passanger's right door assist handle that I can't figure out how to fix. Dealership said could not duplicate of course. Other than that. Love it.
I have the same rattle. Mine starts only above 75 mph and stops over 90 mph.
I assume it is a harmonic vibration of a cable or something ...

#15 ·
rattle

... got a rattle in my right front door. I suspect it is a cable, or cable strand, that hits the door. I can pull / push on the black hose that has a cable strand (the one in questions I presume) and is stitting forward of the door and makes the connection from the door to the front body of the car. When I push/pull on that black rubber jacket, I seem to adjust the cables a bit and prevent them from banging against the door. It helps for some days/weeks until it returns. Did not want to open up the door and get other problems ... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.