Jeep Commander Forum banner

Crying in Indiana

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
After stalking this website for the past year, I've broken down and become a member. I'm totally out of ideas and looking for guidance. Will post to the appropriate boards when allowed. Bought a 06 Commander Hemi in January of last year and have had nothing but problems since. I have been battling engine codes P061C, P0344, and P2072 without end. Rebuilt ECM, new EGR valve, new spark plugs, 2 new cam sensors and no help yet. Local Chrysler dealership says they can't figure anything out and now the local mechanic that I had been working with is out of ideas. Summary of problem is that it randomly jerks and dies - cruising down the road doing my own thing and the stupid thing just shuts off - then dashboard lights up with the Lightning bolt of doom and my traction control light. I'm praying that someone here knows the answers or at least where I should look next. The thing runs and shifts fine - until it slams and shuts off - completely randomly.

#3 · (Edited)
After stalking this website for the past year, I've broken down and become a member. I'm totally out of ideas and looking for guidance. Will post to the appropriate boards when allowed. Bought a 06 Commander Hemi in January of last year and have had nothing but problems since. I have been battling engine codes P061C, P0344, and P2072 without end. Rebuilt ECM, new EGR valve, new spark plugs, 2 new cam sensors and no help yet. Local Chrysler dealership says they can't figure anything out and now the local mechanic that I had been working with is out of ideas. Summary of problem is that it randomly jerks and dies - cruising down the road doing my own thing and the stupid thing just shuts off - then dashboard lights up with the Lightning bolt of doom and my traction control light. I'm praying that someone here knows the answers or at least where I should look next. The thing runs and shifts fine - until it slams and shuts off - completely randomly.
Welcome to the forum @brentswan54;

I'm sure we have guys here that can help you get it sorted out;

First thing I'd ask you is, what kind of spark plugs did you use when you replaced them?

Hemi's are pretty finicky if you don't use the factory recommended spark plugs.

The fact that your local Chrysler Dealership is telling you that they can't figure anything out with all of the diagnostic equipment they have at their disposal is pretty ridiculous.

You might consider searching online for a more reputable dealership.

Here is what I was able to dig up:

P0344 is Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

P061C: Internal Control Module Engine RPM Performance

Internal control module monitoring processors are responsible for various controller self-test duties and overall internal control module accountability. Engine RPM calculation system input and output signals are subject to self-test and are monitored constantly by the PCM and other related controllers. The transmission control module (TCM), traction control module (TCSM), and other controllers are subject to interaction with the engine RPM monitoring system.

Engine RPM is monitored (by the PCM and other controllers) using input signals from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor/s. Desired engine RPM is programmed into the PCM and other controllers. Actual RPM is calculated using input data from the CKP and CMP sensors, as well as the throttle position sensor (TPS), and other engine and transmission sensors. Desired RPM is then compared with actual RPM.

Whenever the ignition is on and the PCM is energized, internal engine RPM monitoring self-tests are initiated. In addition to running internal controller self-tests, the controller area network (CAN) also compares signals from each individual module to ensure that all controllers are functioning properly. These tests are performed simultaneously.

If the PCM detects an internal error in desired engine RPM and actual RPM (which exceeds the maximum allowable threshold), a code P061C will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated. Multiple ignition cycles (with a failure) may be required for MIL illumination.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p061c

P2072: OBD-II Code P2072 is defined as a Throttle Actuator Control System - Ice Blockage

https://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P2072-throttle-actuator-control-system---ice-blockage

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...of-obd-codes-generic-obd2-obdii--manufacturer

I hope this helps you out a bit.

#4 ·
Welcome! It sounds like you are having one heck of a time with your XK. To top it off, you're here in Indiana where the weather is playing games with us! Is that part of the crying too? LOL

Hope you get it figured out my fellow Hoosier!

#6 ·
85,000 miles is very low mileage for a 2006;

Do you know how many prior owners there were?

Also, have you checked to see if all of your factory recalls & campaigns have been completed?

You can check to see if all of the factory re-calls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & just plugging in the VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, I just navigated to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

#7 · (Edited)
Next time this happens check the battery voltage.

I had this very similar thing happen to me, all the dash lights came on and the engine died. Pulled over and checked the battery voltage. It was around 8v and steadily climbing with the ignition off and key out. Got a jump and everything was fine. Checked voltage and it was around 14v. Next day it happened again and again voltage was around 8v and climbing after ignition off and key out.

Determined it was a faulty alternator that would randomly stop charging and when this happens you don't find out until the battery is drained to the point where the ECM can no longer function.

Second, the last code is throttle body code which can create the other codes due to fuel mixture. If the 06 hemi is drive by wire you may be looking at a new throttle body and what you are experiencing is the vehicle going into limp mode. Generally in limp mode you can still drive the vehicle, yours seems a bit extreme. My volvo uses the plagued maserati throttle module that will get dead spots and cause jerking while accelerating in any condition and shut down into limp mode. It feels like it's not getting any fuel and then goes again. Only fix is a replacement or rebuild the throttle body if that's possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.