Jeep Commander Forum banner

Question on option for front engine mud guard

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rblapham 
#1 ·
So living in the upper peninsula of michigan on a side road its normal for my road to be super muddy or like today: 5 to 6ft snow drifts. Today I was bombing down the road snow coming over the hood but hummin along then the alternator/battery light came on. Got to a place I could stop (where I wouldnt get the frame hung up on snow. Yep that deep). Found the front accessories all layered with snow and ice including the alternator. Belt still turned and all accessories still spin but alternator is completely dead. I can only assume having snow packed all over it affected it. Drove it home (it was a challenge doing a 3 point turn in a snow drift). Took the 04 Durango limited to work.

Anyways from the bumper to the skid plate its open air allowing snow (and mud) to drift up to the front of the engine. This always bothered me (bought my 07 commander limited used a few years ago and never had any rubber membrane there as most cars/trucks including just about every other jeep have). Is this rubber mud shield just missing from mine? I pulled up the service manual for the commander and scoured the service manual. I cant find any evidence of a front bumper to frame rubber shield/membrane or any mud guard. This mud guard would ideally reach to the front of the skid plate.

If the commander from the factory doesnt have this piece... I guess I can try fabricating one out of a rubber mat. Has anyone done this? Does anyone else have this problem or is there actually supposed to be a factory mud guard here/underbody rubber mud sheild). It also always bothered me that the power steering lines are secured to the front of the frame. Be careful of your angle of approach lol.

Thanks for any feedback

See less See more
#2 ·
Bottom of bumper to engine skid is open by default. 4xguard (jba (jeepin by Al)) and steel armadillo both have front skids to cover this area. Check them out.

#3 ·
Good to know Im not missing any pieces.

Ok wow great recommendation. I was hoping to not have to cut out a piece of rubber mat to fit down there (although maybe that would cause an airflow problem anyways). I see the product. Im requesting install instructions but it looks pretty easy. It appears to utilize the bottom set of sway bar bracket bolts for securing the rear of the plate then the front secures to a piece of the tube frame behind the air dam. I think I read in the description that it requires the removal of the air dam below the bumper.

#4 ·
Maybe this picture can help you see what is involved - enlarge it as needed.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.