cats need replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exhaust Questions or advice about exhaust systems? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

cats need replacement

Hi, I recently purchased an '06 Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi and am hoping someone might have suggestions regarding exhaust. i'm new to the forum and have found many helpful tips about my new used xk, what a great place to learn!

My commander has just over 43,000 km. No warranty because i live in Canada and this is originally a US vehicle. I'm within my 30 day guarantee period from the place where i bought it, so hopefully i'll be covered. i just took my xk in to the local jeep dealer and everything checks out perfect except the exhaust. my cats have been rattling and need replacement. The dealer says $1600 for the whole deal.

Thinking there must be a cheaper solution and wanting the work done right, i took the vehicle to the best performance shop around, and they suggested 2 hi flo magnaflow convertors (part # 94005) and a magnaflow muffler (#12286). I asked about magnaflow cat back (16665) because i figure this is a great opportunity (glass half full) to add some sound; i've been to magnaflow's website and like the sound of the cat back for the 5.7 hemi (at least on the computer). he suggested that i should do the 2 cats and muffler only, leaving on the resonator, to help keep noise levels down. i told him my wife and kids would like some deep sound from the hemi but we'd still like to be able to talk comfortably, watch dvd, etc on our drives.

Anyway, i've been looking through the various threads to do with exhaust here, listening to the sounds, etc, but it's hard for me to tell what sounds are the magnaflow muffler only, and what's the cat back. does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best option? will the magnaflow muffler on its own be enough for deeper tone, or should i go for the 2 cats and cat back?

Thanks for any thoughts and thank you for this forum. It's an awesome resource!

Fatty

Fatty
06 Jeep Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Points: 816, Level: 15 Points: 816, Level: 15 Points: 816, Level: 15
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Send a message via Yahoo to alopez1334
READ:

THIS

THIS

and

THIS

Hope that helps!

2006 XK 3.7L V6
Slate Gray Leather, Heated Seats, Sunroof, 6 cd changer, Stock tires , and
17-inch Hulk Cast Aluminum wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:
Interior White LED lights
Slate Grey Husky Floor Liners
Front and Rear Jeep Mud Flaps
Stubby Antenna

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,065, Level: 100 Points: 59,065, Level: 100 Points: 59,065, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
I love my my Magnaflow cat-back. Can't hear it inside unless you get on the gas. But regardless of what you do you will still have to replace the catalytic converters if they are bad--and yes, they are expensive.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'll probably go with the 2 hi flo cats and a magnaflow muffler. Folks seem to love their magnaflow cat backs with 5.7 hemi though, so it's got me thinking. in the sound clips i've listened to, on this forum and youtube, i wish i knew what was the magnaflow muffler only and what is cat back, help to make an informed decision. But i guess it's a bit of a go with gut situation and with magnaflow products it sounds hard to go wrong.

fatty

Fatty
06 Jeep Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Silver
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

My cats starting rattling about two weeks ago. I had an appointment for the dealer to fix them under warranty but then they noticed a 6 inch scratch down the one cat and decided they werent going to cover it anymore.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Yep any reason not to cover something.

06 Sport-4.7L with QT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Points: 816, Level: 15 Points: 816, Level: 15 Points: 816, Level: 15
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Send a message via Yahoo to alopez1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
My cats starting rattling about two weeks ago. I had an appointment for the dealer to fix them under warranty but then they noticed a 6 inch scratch down the one cat and decided they werent going to cover it anymore.

Got to love the dealer! From sale to trade in, they are willing to screw their customers!

2006 XK 3.7L V6
Slate Gray Leather, Heated Seats, Sunroof, 6 cd changer, Stock tires , and
17-inch Hulk Cast Aluminum wheels.

Mods:
Interior White LED lights
Slate Grey Husky Floor Liners
Front and Rear Jeep Mud Flaps
Stubby Antenna

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

07?
A scratch????
Or a crease?
If the outer jacket is deformed it breaks the substrate away from the shell and a rattle will ensue.
So, if it is creased or deformed because of the scratch it is not a failed substrate....it is a deformed substrate and not Jeeps responsibility.
But if the case is not deformed I'd recommend a Jeep DSM inspection and denial in writing.
That way, you can make a insurance claim due to road damage with Jeeps denial of failed part.

Good luck,
Rob

|
|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Yes, I think that’s one good option. An insurance claim can be made if there are not too many formalities involved in the process.

Last edited by turtlesdove3; 05-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
07?
A scratch????
Or a crease?
If the outer jacket is deformed it breaks the substrate away from the shell and a rattle will ensue.
So, if it is creased or deformed because of the scratch it is not a failed substrate....it is a deformed substrate and not Jeeps responsibility.
But if the case is not deformed I'd recommend a Jeep DSM inspection and denial in writing.
That way, you can make a insurance claim due to road damage with Jeeps denial of failed part.

Good luck,
Rob
It's basically about a 6 inch long scratch on the cat itself from a rock I apperently bottomed out on at Rausch Creek. The case itself where the scratch is located is indented approx. 1mm along the entire scratch. It happened about a year ago so im not sure exactly how that caused the rattling.

BTW: Just recently got a P0430 code which isnt a surprise to me at all. I can get the parts from the dealer for approx. $640. They have a $200 core on top of that but I would take off the old cats and bring them in when I got the new ones so I wouldnt have to pay that obviously.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in