Y-pipes - location and worth it? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exhaust Questions or advice about exhaust systems? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Y-pipes - location and worth it?

Hi,
I'm about to upgrade my stock muffler to an 18" or 22" Magnaflow (that's a question in another thread! if anyone has any experience) and was wondering what the deal is with Y-pipes. I see that people use them to increase performance (slightly) and reduce unwanted noise but am confused as to where the are installed or if I can even use one on the commander.

I run the 5.7 Hemi and currently have the large stock muffler that is 1 in 1 out (and the resonator at the rear which I'll be keeping). Would the y pipe go just before my new muffler and split the inlet so I would then get a 2 in/ 1 out magnaflow instead of 1 in/ 1 out like I currently have or does the y pipe go somewhere different? I can't seem to find much info online about this. Will this help reduce potential drone? Does it have any other side effects?

Cheers for any advice..

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Lightbulb H pipe X pipe

As far as i know both the H pipe and the X pipe are for true dual exhaust systems where you have 2 seperate pipes that come out of the exhaust manifolds, and are connected by a cross pipe H style, or 2 pipes in the shape of an X then into 2 mufflers and out 2 tailpipes, DUAL EXHAUST.

The Y pipe is usually the pipe that comes off of the exhaust manifolds and routes those 2 into 1 before the muffler, and then goes to the tailpipe or resonator, SINGLE EXHAUST.

Swanny
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCommanderPayne View Post
Hi,
I'm about to upgrade my stock muffler to an 18" or 22" Magnaflow (that's a question in another thread! if anyone has any experience) and was wondering what the deal is with Y-pipes. I see that people use them to increase performance (slightly) and reduce unwanted noise but am confused as to where the are installed or if I can even use one on the commander.

I run the 5.7 Hemi and currently have the large stock muffler that is 1 in 1 out (and the resonator at the rear which I'll be keeping). Would the y pipe go just before my new muffler and split the inlet so I would then get a 2 in/ 1 out magnaflow instead of 1 in/ 1 out like I currently have or does the y pipe go somewhere different? I can't seem to find much info online about this. Will this help reduce potential drone? Does it have any other side effects?

Cheers for any advice..
Maybe you are talking about something I have not heard of before - because I surely have not seen it all.

But, taking two exhaust pipes and Y-piping it into a single exhaust pipe makes NO sense and wouldn't be beneficial on any level.

The only thing thing I have ever seen along the lines of what you are talking about is actually the opposite of what you are describing and takes a single exhaust pipe into a special muffler that has one intake pipe at the front of the muffler and two outlet/exhaust pipes coming out of the rear of the muffler to take an engine that has a single exhaust and give it two separate tail pipes and the APPEARANCE of dual exhaust, even though it is still not a true dual exhaust.

I had a muffler like that on a 79 Chevy Nova that I had when I was a kid with 305/V-8.

It looks cool and may improve exhaust flow ever-so slightly but all and all, I think the performance gains are very minimal.

And I don't know if they even make them for Commanders or not.

If there is a separate "Y Pipe" that performs the same function as the muffler I just described (and again, I have not seen one) I would assume it would be installed behind the muffler, converting a single tail pipe into 2 tail-pipes - again, to give the appearance of dual exhaust. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think a better route would be a complete 3 inch Cat-Back exhaust system.

You'd probably gain more in both exhaust flow and performance with the larger diameter pipe from the catalytic converter all the way through the muffler and the tail pipe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-13-2017 at 05:42 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 inferno View Post
As far as i know both the H pipe and the X pipe are for true dual exhaust systems where you have 2 seperate pipes that come out of the exhaust manifolds, and are connected by a cross pipe H style, or 2 pipes in the shape of an X then into 2 mufflers and out 2 tailpipes, DUAL EXHAUST.

The Y pipe is usually the pipe that comes off of the exhaust manifolds and routes those 2 into 1 before the muffler, and then goes to the tailpipe or resonator, SINGLE EXHAUST.

Swanny
yeah, that's also what I just heard from Magnaflow:

Usually a y-pipe brings the exhaust manifold pipes together to make a smooth transition into a single pipe and then on to the muffler.

I just wasn't sure if there was ever a (sound) reason that you would then split the single pipe into 2 again before the muffler to split the airflow through 2 channels in the muffler to reduce the resonance and then exit as a single outlet again but I think I was way off in my thinking and overcomplicating it in my head.

I'm going to keep it simple and just change out the muffler for the magnaflow.

Thanks for your input guys

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in