Jeep Commander Forum banner

Air Bag Suspension

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
I've looked through but can't seem find anything on this so if i missed it I'm sorry.

I know most most everybody wants to lift Jeeps but I wanna lower mine. Has anyone put a complete airbag suspension on their Commander? And if so do you have any pictures?

#2 ·
I could be wrong.....but as far as I know, no one on the forum has installed air bags.

#3 ·
Lowridn.... hehehe. Sorry I had to chuckle a little at your expense, it isn't everyday you see that as a member name in a Jeep forum. I have never came across a Jeep Commander with an airbag suspension, but if you can find a way to do it, all the power to you. I'm sure the commander will look just as handsome lowered with some wicked looking rims and low profile tires as it does all jacked up......... Wait, wait, who am I kidding, nowhere near AS handsome, but still very nice. Although, you may want to shave all the Jeep emblems off of it when your done just so nobody knows its actually a jeep, just kidding! Best of luck to you! Only advice I could give is maybe snoop around Cardomain.com you may find one on there or maybe some ideas as to how you can do it.

#4 ·
Reactions: Wombler
#5 ·
yeah lowridn is kind of a unique name on a Jeep forum. But, I had a '99 TJ with a 3 inch lift with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, then I had an '06 Rubicon with a 5.5 inch Rubicon Express Long Arm, 1 inch body lift, 37 inch tires and lots of other goodies, and needless to say niether one was a street Jeep. So now i just want something a little more tame.

I sent 24s on air a pm yesterday but i noticed that he hasnt been on since february i think. so ill just have to wait

#6 ·
yeah lowridn is kind of a unique name on a Jeep forum. But, I had a '99 TJ with a 3 inch lift with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, then I had an '06 Rubicon with a 5.5 inch Rubicon Express Long Arm, 1 inch body lift, 37 inch tires and lots of other goodies, and needless to say niether one was a street Jeep. So now i just want something a little more tame.
Impressive. You have redeemed yourself lol. But that is still one extreme to the next. Do you still have either of the other two you mentioned above? You know, just to scratch the offroad itch every now and then?

#7 ·
No sadly the 99 was to the point of costing more to repair than to own so I traded it for the Rubi, but then the Rubi got 10mpg after all the mods and with as much driving as I did I was at the gas pump every 2 or 3 days so traded it for the Commander. Now I only get gas maybe once a week.

#9 ·
I did consider the shorter springs, but I want to be able to raise and lower it. I've made fun of people who have to go over speed bumps at an angle when I hardly even slowed down.

#10 ·
any luck

i am interested in this as well. i have checked out the other threads and the guys you tube vid showing his air bag system on the commander. but i want them all the way around(he only had them on the back and air assist springs on the front)
i wan them for the same rason as the the OP. raising and lowering is the objective not just for speedbumps but also for wheeling and then getting back on the road. i am actually looking at having 2 sets of tires (one for 4x4 and one set for street/normal driving) so i want to be able to lower the truck back down when on the interstate/street "mode"
thanks for any help guys

#11 ·
i am interested in this as well. i have checked out the other threads and the guys you tube vid showing his air bag system on the commander. but i want them all the way around(he only had them on the back and air assist springs on the front)
i wan them for the same rason as the the OP. raising and lowering is the objective not just for speedbumps but also for wheeling and then getting back on the road. i am actually looking at having 2 sets of tires (one for 4x4 and one set for street/normal driving) so i want to be able to lower the truck back down when on the interstate/street "mode"
thanks for any help guys
@James Mitchell Hampton; You do realize you just chimed in on a thread whose last activity was over 9 years ago, right?

#14 ·
If you do a google search you will find some photos and links to people who have lowered their XK's.
It doesn't seem like it would be that challenging of a project to lower on bags especially with this design of suspension.
I don't have any person experience but the people you want to talk with are down in central CA, Accuride. They know their stuff when it comes to bags and lowered vehicles.

GL
Michael

#15 ·
If you do a google search you will find some photos and links to people who have lowered their XK's.
It doesn't seem like it would be that challenging of a project to lower on bags especially with this design of suspension.
I don't have any person experience but the people you want to talk with are down in central CA, Accuride. They know their stuff when it comes to bags and lowered vehicles.

GL
Michael
Yep, I've only heard of a couple of guys on this forum that have done it - or even asked about it; Most members here are looking to lift, not lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.