Looking for help on the right lift that limits future problems. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Looking for help on the right lift that limits future problems.

Well here is the same question that many of you folks have seen over and over again. Obviously I'm new to this forum. However, I have spent about a week trying to answer a pile of questions. I have found a lot of useful stuff but somethings are still unclear to me. So I begin.

I'm getting an 07 Commander: Hemi, 4x4. This thing will be used as an everyday driver for the gal. We live in ranch country so everyday driving requires us to travel crap roads in all types of weather. I intend to turn this into the long vacation expedition rig. Places the fj40 won't want to go (more than three hours away from the Black Hills).

I've heard a lot of problems surrounding lifting these from mechanics to the gentlemen at AEV (they are moving away from their module). I see everyone here talking about lifting and having no problems and then hearing lots of problems, not sure what the truth is. I want to lift for clearance and room for some tires (nothing big, 255-265s, I need the room cause I'm less interested in making a mall crawler than something that works). I don't want to compromise the machine and I don't want to rebuild the front end. I'd like to know what direction to go that has proven to be the most trouble free. I don't want to mess with the computer but I understand that even with the 2.25 spacer lifts and tires a guy may have to do so.

I plan on putting a tactical armor front and rear bumper with the addition of a big custom roof rack. I pull a 4x7 expedition trailer that weighs 1,200 lbs with the roof top tent and loaded. I don't want a lift that will sag a bunch. I'll be adding considerable weight with the bumpers and I fear the RR 2.25 won't work with the stock springs? Should probably just by an XJ and be a little under powered.

Any ideas which direction to turn?

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

As far as the 2" lifts go for our jeeps, you shouldn't encounter any problems in the front end or need reprogramming. Issues will only arise if you stack spacer lifts trying to make a DIY 4" lift. My first 2" lift was the daystar kit. I would recommend you stay away from this kit as it is the shortest of all the 2" lifts and does not level the front and had difficulty fitting 265's. I recently switched to the Old Man Emu HD struts/springs lift and it is a completely different monster. Instead of a spacer lift, this actually replaces the springs to obtain lift. I added a 3/8" spacer on top of the strut aswell and ended up gaining more more than 3" of lift up front. This is pretty much the tallest you can go without stacking spacers or buying the Superlift and is by far the best 2" lift for our Jeeps, just a bit more expensive. Many members, including myself, ended up swapping lifts down the road for the OME kit, so going with that kit at first could save you some money in the long run. Good luck building up your rig, keep us posted.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Much thanks for the reply! Could you tell me what spacers you purchased to complement the OME lift, where did you order your stuff from? ARB website doesn't really indicate a OME kit that I noticed. Also, with the addition of the spacers have you encountered any computer malfunctions or have you noticed and bearing or axle issues? This set up sounds perfect for me. I imagine you have been roading this set up for a bit and I trust you like it? I'm down for spending the money up front. I need the room the commander offers and with their resale value its going to prove to be a lot cheaper than a used JK with four doors.

It will be two weeks before the truck gets shipped to SODAK. I'll be able to kick the tires and decide if it stays or goes down the road. I intend to put all this garbage on asap after I own it. Talked with a guy at CSL offroad and they seemed very nice and had what appeared to be good prices on bumpers. A guy out of new jersey is going to build me a rack unless you folks know of one you reccomend. I need a rack that a guy can walk on with a ladder.

This thing needs to get done before June so I can go get a line wet in June when those trout are hungry after a winter of nymphs! I sure hope Some more veterans post! I'll post some pictures when we get started.

Joe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 PM

I purchased the front spacers and shocks from Rocky-road.com. Rocky road sells the 3/8" spacer that comes out to 9/16" of final added lift. This is the largest on-top-of strut spacer that will fit with enough thread left. Beware that this spacer will most likely cause your front end to be higher than the rear, right now mine sits about an inch lower in the rear, but I still have a spacer lift and not OME in the rear. Honestly you cannot even notice the difference in front and rear height when looking at it, and I can always easily add OME springs in the rear to boost it up. I am also running Monroe Load Leveling shocks that are meant for the F-150, these are longer than the commander specs, and add up to around 3/4"-1" of extra lift in the rear. When buying the lift and spacer, try to only purchase the spacer through rocky road as their customer service is not always the best.

Here is a link to the major aftermarket sites for our Jeeps such as Rocky Road and Jeepin-by-al (who also now owns 4xguard):
http://www.rocky-road.com/commander.html

http://jeepinbyal.com/jeep-commander-xk-2006-2010.html

Here is a link to the "other" forum. Many of us frequent there aswell:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...Shocks-on-Rear
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM

I have only been runnin this setup for a few months, but out of all the people who run this lift (properly), I have never heard of any premature wear on front end parts; going larger than that is when the upper control arm and steering angles are prone to fail. There are many options for roof racks aswell, just check out the "other" forum, as it is a very dedicated crowd of offroaders and there is tons of great info, even a roof rack thread...the search function is your friend lol.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Its the ARB 2" kit for the WK and I suppose you purchased the RR spacers the advertise as their leveling kit? Did you space front and back? Does the truck look pretty level post 2" kit? I was also curious if anyone put on aftermarket arms with the 2" lift? I'm curious if beefing them up will save some trouble down the road or if some you consider it overkill on a lift of this nature.

I'll keep searching, lol. I just didn't know if you had any personal experience with a good basket that a guy can actually walk on and load coolers. They'll be some dead mule deer up there before long and its nice to have one that can handle the weight!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpoffjoe View Post
Its the ARB 2" kit for the WK and I suppose you purchased the RR spacers the advertise as their leveling kit? Did you space front and back? Does the truck look pretty level post 2" kit? I was also curious if anyone put on aftermarket arms with the 2" lift? I'm curious if beefing them up will save some trouble down the road or if some you consider it overkill on a lift of this nature.
I was not aware that ARB made a 2" lift for our Jeep, is it a spacer lift or a spring lift, like OME (old man emu)? I was running a 2" daystar spacer lift front and rear, but swapped the front spacers out for the OME springs/struts since the daystar lift runs short in the front. Also, the lift obtained will be from the springs, you can still use the stock struts, I just upgraded mine since I'd have the front apart anyway. I gained over 3" over my daystar kit which shows how much sag it had. To bring up the rear, I installed the monroe load levelers like previously stated. Since the spacer lifts usually run smaller than OME, my rear still sits a bit lower but can easily be corrected with OME springs in rear. The rocky road spacer I was discussing is not the one from the 2" spacer lift, it is an additional small spacer they sell that can be placed on top of the strut where it bolts in. This allows for 9/16" extra lift in the front and can be used with in addition to the 2" lift of choice for a bit more extra lift. As I said, this is pretty much the most lift you can get without having to worry about premature wear on upper control arms or steering rack. Both jeepinbyal (JBA) and rocky road (RR) offer HD control arm options for our rigs, but you shouldn't really need these unless trying to stack 2" lifts for a 4" franken-lift. There are a few people running aftermarket UCA's with the 2" lift though, such as 07JeepXK and Matt and they have had experience with both sets offered. Here are a couple pics of my rig, Although the front is just about an inch higher in the front, the design of the XK makes it appear quite level:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014[1].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	6146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016[1].jpg
Views:	265
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	6154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018[1].jpg
Views:	205
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	6162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020[2].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	6170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022[2].jpg
Views:	244
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	6178  

Last edited by Ross; 03-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Great lookin rig Psycho. What size are those Duratracs?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Points: 6,179, Level: 51 Points: 6,179, Level: 51 Points: 6,179, Level: 51
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho787 View Post
I was not aware that ARB made a 2" lift for our Jeep, is it a spacer lift or a spring lift, like OME (old man emu)? I was running a 2" daystar spacer lift front and rear, but swapped the front spacers out for the OME springs/struts since the daystar lift runs short in the front. Also, the lift obtained will be from the springs, you can still use the stock struts, I just upgraded mine since I'd have the front apart anyway. I gained over 3" over my daystar kit which shows how much sag it had. To bring up the rear, I installed the monroe load levelers like previously stated. Since the spacer lifts usually run smaller than OME, my rear still sits a bit lower but can easily be corrected with OME springs in rear. The rocky road spacer I was discussing is not the one from the 2" spacer lift, it is an additional small spacer they sell that can be placed on top of the strut where it bolts in. This allows for 9/16" extra lift in the front and can be used with in addition to the 2" lift of choice for a bit more extra lift. As I said, this is pretty much the most lift you can get without having to worry about premature wear on upper control arms or steering rack. Both jeepinbyal (JBA) and rocky road (RR) offer HD control arm options for our rigs, but you shouldn't really need these unless trying to stack 2" lifts for a 4" franken-lift. There are a few people running aftermarket UCA's with the 2" lift though, such as 07JeepXK and Matt and they have had experience with both sets offered. Here are a couple pics of my rig, Although the front is just about an inch higher in the front, the design of the XK makes it appear quite level:
Just so you know ARB is the company that manufactures Old Man Emu products lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blthomas View Post
Great lookin rig Psycho. What size are those Duratracs?
Thanks! They're 265/70/17's with 1.5" spidertrax spacers and about 11,000 miles on 'em. They are a great mix of aggressive tread and reasonable tire wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleblue27 View Post
Just so you know ARB is the company that manufactures Old Man Emu products lol.
Yea I figured that out recently haha. Just took awhile to put 2 and 2 together since I bought the lift from Rocky road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in