Front Bump Stop Cup - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,827, Level: 49 Points: 5,827, Level: 49 Points: 5,827, Level: 49
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front Bump Stop Cup

Recently lifted my Commander 2" and in doing so, replaced the front struts and strut mounts. The mounts are NAPA and the bump stops are stock I presume.

The Bump Stops will not stay in the retaining cup on the strut mount. They appear as if they should press fit into the cup and stay. I cannot force them in far enough it appears. I have tried lifting the vehicle, placing wood blocks on the bump stop platform on the strut, then "dropping" the floor jack to try and crush the stops into the cup. The stops have been silicone sprayed to try and get them into the cup. So now I am questioning if they are not getting in far enough, or they are too slippery from the silicone and simply slide back out.

I have seen where others have had the issue of the stops not staying in the cup. I have seen also that people claim this causes a thump when hitting bumps.

Curious if anyone had figured out a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

My bumps stops also fell out after I installed the Old Man Emu lift up front. I have yet to fix it but when I assembled my friends OME strut assembly for him I used a silicone caulk and basically glued them in place so they wouldn't fall out. When I replace my struts ill do the same to mine

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the info. I was thinking along the same lines. I don't really see what would prevent me from accomplishing this with the struts mounted, except the fact that I can never tell if the stops have pushed in far enough to be "in place" and are just falling out, or if they never make it in far enough to begin with.

After putting it on jacks and stuffing 2inches of wood on the platform and dropping the jack, I was sure I had the things stuffed up in the cup, as I could no longer see any of the retaining groove.....then they fell back out.

However if I try and manipulate them into place with fingers reaching thru the coil spring, I never can get the groove fully pushed up in.

Starting to think that the silicone that I believed would help me push them into place is actually allowing them to fall out of place.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

The spay you used is probably not helping out any as its acting as a lubricant

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Mine fall also. One day I'm going to try a old trick we used to do on our bmx handle bar grips. We used to soak the handle bars down with hair spray then the grips would slide right on. Once the hair spray dried you would have to cut them off if you wanted to remove them!

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I'm not liking the method used to press them in.

Get a pry bar or large screw driver and use the coil spring as a leverage point to lift them in place.

Oh, and a dab of rtv will make sure they stay there too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

agree

The method is crude....but was only tried after I tried the prybar and screwdriver method to no avail.

I just don't think they are "snapping into place" Clearly there is a detent ring that appears to me not to be getting all the way into place with the detent in the strut mount cup.

Generally in an instance like this, cutting a slight 30 degree angled notch in the rubber/polyurethane piece will act as a starter thread, then you can screw like rotate the item into place. But with it being inside the coils, turning the bugger is not an easy task. At least not for my big hands. And if it does get in I am going to do the RTV!

+1 on the old handlebar grip, i remember that well. So much better than soapy water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in