Confused a bit about lifts - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Confused a bit about lifts

Alright so I'm a new guy to this a bit. Not a new gear head-just a new platform. I got a 2007 Rocky Mtn edition for a steal. 3.7L, 50,xxx miles. Love it so far. I've been looking at other readers rides, aftermarket suspension, tires etc. I'm a little confused. It looks like a lot of folks have been suggesting one or the other of the lift kits on the market i.e. OME, RR, etc. with strut spacers ranging from 1/4" to 9/16" in order to level and grant clearance for larger diameter meat. From what I think I'm reading if I have this right is that these kits are comprised mostly of strut spacers. Isn't that the same thing? How can these things be combined? I know I am misunderstanding a vital bit of info here. What is the performance difference between the kits or kits and spacers and for instance the Skyjacker 4" kit? There is about a $1200-$1500 difference. Also, I'm concerned a little about reliability. I need to drive this daily but I also do some gnarly adventuring (Lived in Alaska for a decade, and I'm moving back to the NW in 2 weeks, nuf said). I want to get up to 33"s (Nitto mud terrains) but I really want to keep it reliable, and affordable. But general badass -ness is always a must. The zombies will be around soon soooooo......ok, enou yammering. Let me know how fresh I am. Lol. Thanks. Oh yeah one more thing- other than slurping those wonderfully affordable hydrocarbons- will the 3.7L push the 33" without dying of a myocardial infarction at a prematurely young age? $5 to the person who can guess what I do for a living. LOL! Wow, this got long. No more go juice for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

The mild lifts level it out, and lift it up a bit. (The XK is forward raked from the factory) There's front spacers that don't seem to match what it does, because of a leverage design. A small "bump" of the struts translates to inches of lift.

The rear is spacers placed in the coil springs, and relates more to the lift it's going to do.

The 4" lift changes things to the point it needs different steering linkage and the like, so that's a lot of extra parts a 2" lift doesn't need. The RR kit comes with new rear shocks and the spacers. Nothing is moved upwards to the point things fail like with a 4" lift. (U-joints get worked harder etc.)

As for 33's I have Toyo M/T's. You'll have to trim the plastic crap fender well stuff to eliminate rubbing. There's also a "pinch weld" mod which you can search for here, but I never bothered and it's not a problem. On a day trip, if I haven't put it in low range and scraped the frame on rocks, the trip isn't complete. I live in the NW too.

Last edited by Adondo; 09-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Adondo. You have 32's (265/70R17). I have 33's (285/70R17).

OP I'm running 33's on an OME lift but had to do many mods to get them to fit. Ie. cut out the entire pinch weld area, rear ac/heat delete.... If you want 33's your going to want to buy the 4 inch Superlift

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

Ok that's about what I figured. 4" sounds like its more hassle (cash and parts) for the average daily use with 25% or less of my time offroad. I'll build a dedicated OR machine soon. So that being said, what are your opinions on the "best" 2-3" spacer type lift options? I can fit 265's with that right? I'm planning wheel spacers for badass stance, lift, and really the best quality shocks out back and struts I can afford. If I could manage that for under a G I'd be well- hype. Or more hype.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Points: 6,179, Level: 51 Points: 6,179, Level: 51 Points: 6,179, Level: 51
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Go with the old man emu 2" HD lift. You'll get more lift than any other spacer lift and most of the time a better than stock ride. Comes with front and rear springs, shocks and struts. Will run you about ~750.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

^^ That. Except I wouldn't get the OME rear shocks. Lots of better options IMO depending on what your budget is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in