Does a lift void you warranty??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Does a lift void you warranty???

I called the dealer (Bigelow Service dept, in Belleville, NJ).
I ask them if lifting the commander would void the warranty.
There reply was "It voids the suspension and powertrain) on the warranty.

Anyone have a similar worrie, or issue?

I want to install a simple Rocky Road 2 inch lift (with the shocks), but I dont want issues with anything down the road....

I also plan on adding the wheel spacers (1.5) but I dont think I plan on using a larger than stock 245/65/17 tire, just a different brand. (firestone, off road tire seems todays thought).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Does a lift void you warranty???

Tell the dealership they need to brush up on their law books. They are right in that it would only void the warranty for the suspension and powertrain and not the entire vehicle warranty. However the dealer must provide a burden of proof that your modifications directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. The warranty is not immediately voided just because you installed a lift.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

In short, if they attempt to void a warranty without proving that your modification caused the issue, they risk running into problems with the FTC, Better Business Bureau, SEMA, and your state's business licensing authority.

I know plenty of dealerships that sell lifted vehicles right off their show room floor. Airpark Chrysler Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ sells dozens of new lifted Wrangler's each year.

Last edited by rubicontrail.net; 07-11-2007 at 09:42 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

I would find a new dealer. Our local dealer sells lots of lifted Wranglers also, brand new ones they modify. I had a 2" lift done at the same dealer figuring that if I ever did have any problems they were the ones to install and they would back their work.
It's a legitimate concern about the warranty but since Jeep encourages owners to modify their Jeeps I don't think they would give an owner too much hassle unless the lift was done wrong.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyNJ
I called the dealer (Bigelow Service dept, in Belleville, NJ).
I ask them if lifting the commander would void the warranty.
There reply was "It voids the suspension and powertrain) on the warranty.

Anyone have a similar worrie, or issue?

I want to install a simple Rocky Road 2 inch lift (with the shocks), but I dont want issues with anything down the road....

I also plan on adding the wheel spacers (1.5) but I dont think I plan on using a larger than stock 245/65/17 tire, just a different brand. (firestone, off road tire seems todays thought).

Wiley, I have the 1.25 spacers not the 1.5 that I said yesterday and sent you the picures of.

Also I had my lift installed at the a local Jeep dealer and it was no problem.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

Should the dealer modify the vehicle before sale, they would incur the liability of fixing any problems associated with that car that can be attributed to the raising of the truck.

Rubicontrail is right. A denial of the claim must reveal that the loss is causally related to the lift. However, this is predicated upon language in your warranty contract. If your warranty says that modification to the OEM suspension standards is prohibited; then your claim may be denied.

The reason why the law was put in place was to ensure that manufacturers could not say 'You can only use XYZ parts even though ABC parts, which are not made by us, work to the same standards.'

By altering the suspension travel of the OEM specifications, it would be easy for an adjuster to argue that this modification was not incorporated into the design of the OEM suspension and as such, was not rated for it. Therefore, the loss is denied.

<<--casualty adjuster
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Well it almost seems wrong if you don't lift the XK... so I guess I need to read the warranty
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Points: 1,798, Level: 24 Points: 1,798, Level: 24 Points: 1,798, Level: 24
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

So what should you do if you have a transmission problem when you have a lift and larger tires?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Pray. Some dealers might let it slide and fix it, others will say its your problem. Technically they should still have to prove it was the kit and tires and not a mechanical problem, but going to court over it might cost more than repairing the transmission. I scored a piston in my grand prix gtp by pushing too much air into the cylinder without enough gas, which ran it lean. Luckily, the dealer said they would take care of it, or else I was looking at over $1000 in repair. It all depends on who your dealing with.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Penguin is right on the mark; if the vehicle was modified by the dealership before it was sold, then they are liable to honor the warranty despite the modification.

If an owner has the vehicle modified after he owns it, then the dealership may deny warranty coverage for anything that may go wrong that can be related to the modification. Unfortunately, alter the ride height of a vehicle can easily justify a dealership's denial of just about any part of the suspension. Shocks, springs, steering components, tie rods, u-joints, driveshafts and yokes etc... can easily be considered related and denied as a warranty item by any dealership.

My 4Runner has a slightly modified ride height, and I would surely return it back to stock before bringing it into the dealership for warranty work. The suspension in my 4Runner is an XREAS system, which has hydraulically cross linked shocks that are very expensive to replace, so I would not want to void the warranty on them!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_JEEP
So what should you do if you have a transmission problem when you have a lift and larger tires?
I'm in the same situation as my XK is at the dealer now for some sort of drivetrain rumbling noise and I'm lifted 2". I explained that the noise was there prior to the lift being installed and the writer said that he'd look into it and call me back with a status. This should be interesting as to what the outcome will be.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in