OME lift....clunk - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,448, Level: 47 Points: 5,448, Level: 47 Points: 5,448, Level: 47
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OME lift....clunk

Had the OME lift installed yesterday. Drive home from installer all was good. Drive into work this AM was good too, until I got to the parking garage and went over those stupid speed bumps (3 in a row). There was a definite clunk on the passenger side. I took them all at very slow speed, as I always do. Same thing on the way back out tonite.

Did a quick inspection when I got home, and the first thing I noticed is the the bump stops were halfway down the strut shaft on both sides. Is it possible that that is the cause, or at least part of it?

When I initially heard the cluck I figured it would be due to the the top nut on the strut not being tightened down enough. Maybe both are the issue?

I pressed the bump stops back in as far as I could. Is there anything that can be done to make sure they stay put?

I'm going to take back to the installer tomorrow, but any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

EDIIT: one more question - the instructions online say there should be 3-4 threads exposed at the top of the strut nut, but the searching I've done on here some have gotten 7 to 11. Safe to say 3-4 isn't enough?

Last edited by Grand Poobah; 11-08-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: one more thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Did you replace the OEM upper a-arms with the JBA arms which are made for a lifted xk ? If not, the noise you hear may be the upper a-arms hitting the springs. http://4xguard.com/commander-2006-2010/jba-upper-control-arms-jeep-commander/jba-upper-a-arms-for-lifted-wk-xk.html

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 11-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Loose compression stops have been known to cause clunking noises. To help keep them in place I put a few dabs of RTV on them before wedging them in place.

The instructions for the OME are a bit misleading. If you don't tighten the nut down until it's bottomed out you'll also get a clunk. Members who have had this issue have drilled larger holes above the strut so they could tighten that nut without removing the whole assembly from the vehicle again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

No I stayed with the stockers because the joints were still good (and to save some $$$). I'll eventually upgrade those when the stock ball joints are done.

I'll definitely take another look, but from what I remember the angle of the upper arm was such that it would take some serious compression the have them contact.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
Loose compression stops have been known to cause clunking noises. To help keep them in place I put a few dabs of RTV on them before wedging them in place.

The instructions for the OME are a bit misleading. If you don't tighten the nut down until it's bottomed out you'll also get a clunk. Members who have had this issue have drilled larger holes above the strut so they could tighten that nut without removing the whole assembly from the vehicle again.
Thanks Matt. Since I was getting the clunk on just the passenger side and both of the bump stops were down, I was guessing that maybe they weren't the issue. Otherwise wouldn't both sides would be clunking? Good idea with the RTV. Any thought on the best way to press them up snug?

I was just reading a thread about reaming out that hole to gain access to that nut from the top.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

A properly placed pry bar, using the spring as a pivot point, is more than sufficient to wedge the compression stops in place.

I'd do that first... its easy enough. If the clunk is still there, take a look at tightening the strut mount nut.

Don't rule out sway bar links either. If they're aged, added lift has been known to cause the links to start clunking. In most cases they were on their way out regardless and the lift just finished them off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the sway bar bushings are on the to do list for sure. I can tell from feel though and where the clunk is coming from it's high up on the right side so it gotta be either the bump stop or the nut not tightened down fully.

I had pried the bump stops up with a long screw driver wedged on each side. Good idea with the pry bar
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

4-5 threads showing isn't enough if you ask me. I've installed 4 OME lift kits so far between my XK and three friends XK's. I tightened that nut to 7-9 threads showing and not one issue what so ever and no clunks

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in