rough country 2" spacers help?? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mongo
  • 1 Post By Mongo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

rough country 2" spacers help??

hey guys ive been doing some research about budget lifts and spacers and guys on other forums are saying that if I put a 2inch body lift that it will ruin my suspension a lot faster then normal on road and off road is this true or is it just a bunch of bull I cant afford a 2,000 lift so I just need some help guys thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I really don't have any experience with lift kits, just been looking and reading myself and have done suspension work and have some knowledge of it. I would definitely go with the advice of someone who claims to be more experienced.

I'm splitting hairs on the terms, but spring spacers aren't really a body lift.

A true body lift would just put spacers between the frame and the body, the suspension that is attached to the frame, would be unaltered in anyway. Yes, it would change center of gravity that would effect how the suspension reacts with the body, most vehicles that would NOT be noticeably for 2", unless your driving your Jeep like a Viper, which you wouldn't want to lift it if that was your goal.

The Commander is a unibody, so a true body lift is NOT possible (well without cutting and welding).

Spring Spacers, yes, they push the body up, but they do that by pushing the suspension down farther. So the suspension arms, tie-rods, shocks are extended another 2" and at different angles, but still within the range of motion the suspension is designed to work. Although, the suspension is spending a lot more time at angles that normally would and receiving shock and stress at angles other than its designed. Longevity of parts may be more of an issue than actually ruining or breaking it. The Commanders front upper control arms seem to be a weak spot, and I'd think any lift would make it at least a bit more likely to break.

I keep seeing advice that a 2" lift is pretty mild/moderate and doing it with spring spacers is very acceptable.

The problem I would see if the bump stops are NOT taken into account in the design, you can end up in situations where you would bottom out the suspension, parts might compress or bottom out before the suspension arms, and thus break/blow shocks, damage/sag springs etc.

If you're looking to off road harder than the stock suspension is capable, well spring spacers is NOT the way to go, it won't give you additional suspension travel.

If you're looking to raise the vehicle an inch or two, to clear slightly larger tires or just for looks, spring spacers for an inch or two, depending on the vehicle would probably be fine, but don't push the suspension any harder than you would if it was stock.
zing likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks for the advice yea I did some research myself and kinda got the same things you were saying about the suspension geometry and all and at different angels the parts will wear at a different pace then normal but not really breaking or failing due to this in a short amount of time. I don't do any hard off road driving but would like to go out on a small easy trail and drive but mostly I want to some a little bigger tire and gain just a small amount of clearance for snow , I live in Wisconsin and I love to go out right after a storm and drive my jeep because there is no one else on the road here besides jeeps and trucks during a storm

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

What other forum are you referring to?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

some one of here wrote something awhile ago i forget who it was but it was kind of referring to the same question if small spacer life makes for more wear on your suspension but i mainly just want to run a slightly bigger tire for now and in the future when i have the funds to do so i will be getting a 4inch super lift for when i really want to go trailing driving
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

With a 2" spring spacer, you'd have less rebound but the same amount of compression. So, if you're NOT going to do any off roading harder than the stock suspension can handle, I'd think you'd be fine.

Yea, maybe suspension parts would start to wear out around 150k miles instead of 200k miles. We're talking tie-rods, ball joints, shocks, etc.

Like I said, my biggest worry is the bump stops, if the lift kit takes those into account. If you bottom out your suspension, the suspension pieces hit a hard rubber bump stop before it compresses enough to damage the spring, shocks, bushings or other parts. So with spring spacers its possible you'll hit the end of travel for the shock, bushings or spring before you hit the bump stop and damage those parts.

So, the kit has to do one of three things.
1.) Include bump stop modifications, like a spacer for the bump stop or an extended bump stop.
2.) The suspension already has enough travel and margin that putting a spacer in it still hits the bump stop before it hits the end of travel for the other suspension parts.
3.) It defeats the bump stops and doesn't do anything to protect the suspension.

If no 3. is the case, yea, the spring spacer kit is likely to ruin your suspension, at least break parts that can be easily replaced (but still cost money and time to replace). That is assuming you're drive it hard enough to bottom out the suspension once in a while, but lets it put it this way, even a little old lady that only drives to church on Sunday still hits a pot hole or speed bump every once in a while and bottoms out the suspension. Well if she drove a commander to church, that speed bump or pot hill might NOT bottom out the suspension, but you already said you want to drive some mild trails, even mild trails you might encounter some stuff that would bottom out the suspension. So, look at the parts or literature from the manufacturer, even email them that question about bump stops, before buying.
zing likes this.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I prefer to read this kind of nice stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Arabia85; 12-31-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in