Daily Drive a Lifted Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,343, Level: 41 Points: 4,343, Level: 41 Points: 4,343, Level: 41
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Daily Drive a Lifted Commander

Jeep Wrangler guy here looking for a more comfortable DD. Wife owned a Commander back in 07/08 and we liked it. I am thinking of getting one as a DD, (gas mileage isn't a factor) and I would like a small lift and Rubicon wheels and tires. I can't leave anything stock!

What's everyone's driving and handling impressions of a lifted Commander? How much effect does the lift have on the handling of the Jeep? I am asking because whenever I lifted one of my Wranglers the driving/handling changed quite a bit. I don't want a lifted uncomfortable Commander! Might as well DD a Wrangler!

Thanks from a Commander Newbie! So to speak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

I did for a couple of years and noticed several undesirables.

Big drop in gas mileage with lift and larger tires (12-14 MPG when I was trying to conserve)
Harsher rebounding when hitting pot holes. (big deal when I was living in Cleveland - most of Cleveland is potholes)
Some bump steer
loss of lower end grunt (gears to tall with larger tires - no aftermarket support yet)

Now I had 245/75 BFG's (32" ish) and a cheap Rough Country 2" lift. Maybe the OME lift and smaller tires may reduce some of the shortcoming I mentioned?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Come over and take it for a test drive.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I've only put about 100,000 miles on my lifted Commander. So far so good. It rides fine for me. Best vehicle I ever owned. I have the Hemi and never felt underpowered with 32 s.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,343, Level: 41 Points: 4,343, Level: 41 Points: 4,343, Level: 41
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
Come over and take it for a test drive.
Too funny, actually thought about you when posting this. Didn't know you still had your XK, haven't seen you on our forum in a while.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Ive been a lurker recently. Had baby #3 this summer so havent been offroading as much. Also between the kids, working on my masters, church, and some other volunteer work I do I couldn't make any meetings so I didn't renew my membership.

XKs still around and still getting modified though! I'll actually be tearing the front suspension apart in a few weeks to try a new setup ive been messing with.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 AM

You're more than welcome to come by and check it out though. I'll give you a complete rundown of the suspension, lift types, benefits and weaknesses, things to look for etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Another great example of innovation, I am glad to find it. There are so many developers working on this segment but this is one of the best innovative idea ever. Thanks for sharing it here.

Last edited by qadir746; 05-27-2014 at 06:11 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjeepthing View Post
Jeep Wrangler guy here looking for a more comfortable DD. Wife owned a Commander back in 07/08 and we liked it. I am thinking of getting one as a DD, (gas mileage isn't a factor) and I would like a small lift and Rubicon wheels and tires. I can't leave anything stock!

What's everyone's driving and handling impressions of a lifted Commander? How much effect does the lift have on the handling of the Jeep? I am asking because whenever I lifted one of my Wranglers the driving/handling changed quite a bit. I don't want a lifted uncomfortable Commander! Might as well DD a Wrangler!

Thanks from a Commander Newbie! So to speak!
I had to get rid of my toy; 2 door 09 Wrangler JK, 35x12.5x17, 3.5" lift, lockers, Quick discos etc.

I got a Commander now since family life slowly demanded it and I didn't want to buy another Wrangler.

As far as the difference. Well, it's nice to feel safe on snow & ice. A 2 door Jk with 12.5" wide tires and rear wheel drive in snow and ice was just dangerous unless the road allowed for 4hi. This full time 4wd system in the XK Commander is great. I only wish I had the option to engage the lockers manually like in my old JK's selectable set up.

Around town its a dream. You feel it being a much wider and longer vehicle but in comparing my old set up also very low to the ground. I feel like I'm in a car in the driver's seat in comparison...teeny tiny. It looks taller from the outside due to the theater seating and roof rack. This makes me feel a bit vulnerable off road.

Power is on another level in comparison to my JK which had the 3.8L. Having the Hemi now I won't go on about the obvious...no comparison to make.

I miss the ground clearance but you'll never run a 35" on a commander, most people anyway as you'd have to spend thousands in mods and cutting and custom work. 33's is a stretch for most as that gets into the thousands as well. This is a downside for me but having a hemi and the QDII was a fair trade off so far. Mainly, because I wasn't out wheelin' much anymore so I am primarily comparing dry road, snow/mud/ice between the two. In that area, moderate off road and around town the Commander is better. Way smoother, more power, more features and room. Off road nothing will compare to the JK. Even if it doesn't do the job its a tonka truck, you can buy a million aftermarket parts. However, that can be a downside when you realize your down the road $8000 in ad ons

The Commander, is very easy to park and I was very surprised at that coming from a 2 door Jk. In that you can almost look behind you and see the curb at the rear wheels I would say its a tie believe it or not.

Highway cruising the XK is also an easy winner.

So, it all depends what you want to do. When I got my JK years ago it was to primarily off road but also to be daily driver. I sacrificed road manners for being unstoppable off road. The Jk is not a good around town vehicle as it is rough, noisy, the big tires will like to walk around on the road a lot, and well...its a normal Wrangler. Not to mention a poor highway driver, in comparison. There are always pros and cons. Being a convertible, and having the freedom tops is awesome.

Now, my situation is change and it has reversed so the XK made more sense, better on road and moderate off road. The QDII system is very good and nothing bad to say about it at all. Probably 90% as good as a full selectable locker set up so in the end you may not even notice the difference there its so close. You will in ground clearance not only from the factory but in tire size too. Approach and departure angles will be better in the JK....all around better off road. Around town you'll enjoy the comfort and power of the XK and feel confident in some off road situations lifted, bigger tires and running QDII. Not to mention the XK being able to out tow a JK by over x2.

Tough comparison! In a perfect world I would have both!

Last edited by taboo; 12-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
You're more than welcome to come by and check it out though. I'll give you a complete rundown of the suspension, lift types, benefits and weaknesses, things to look for etc.
If you'd like to see what a SuperLifted XK looks/drives like, maybe we can meet at Matt's in January, and you'll have something to compare against.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in