Air Lift with Traditional Lift Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,088, Level: 45 Points: 5,088, Level: 45 Points: 5,088, Level: 45
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Air Lift with Traditional Lift Question

Hey guys have a (hopefully) simple question. I tow a boat so I've added Air Lift suspension Air Bags...(they go into the springs with lines that I've mounted along the trailer hitch).

I'm thinking about doing a 2 or 2-1/2" lift, but in all the instructions I've read it always adds the bump stop extender at the top.

Okay, here's the question.... I had to remove the bump stops in order to run the air lines, will I be okay just adding the lifts and not worrying about the bump stops with a lift? Will the springs with the air bags be enough to prevent full compression off road?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Bueller

Anybody got an answer?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

The easiest way to find out would be to put on a 2" lift in the rear, then flex out the axle with a floor jack to see if the coils will touch. I just took off the rear 2" spacer that made up my daystar lift. Its basically just a polyurethane donut that goes around the bump stop. There should still be a small raised portion under where the bump stop was, which should be enough to keep the spacer in place.

If you pay shipping, I could lend you the rear spacer to test with, install is very straightforward. If it works out, I'd suggest still upgrading to another 2" lift though, as the daystar kit seems to give the least amount of lift.

-Ross

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Makes sense

Roger that. Thanks for the info. I'm probably just going to order a set..thanks for the feedback on the daystar... I'm thinking maybe RR 2.5". Do you know what you're going to go with yet? I'll post some pics one together on how the airbags work in conjunction with the lift so everybody can see.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

You should be fine with either the RR 2.25" kit or the Rough country spacer, those tend to give good results.

I've been runnin' the OME HD lift in the front for about two years. In the rear, I had the daystar spacer/F-150 Monroe load levelers(give ~1" extra lift). With this setup, the rear still sat an inch lower than the front.

I recently got rid of the daystar spacer in the rear and swapped in a set of used 4" Superlift springs that I bought off another member. The XK now sits an inch higher in the rear, but the stance does not look overly "raked" or slanted forward. The best is looking at it in the rear, it's just like a Superlift, but at a fraction of the cost. Install was not too bad, just took a bit to get that drivers side rear UCA back in by myself.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

It will work.

I just installed the Rough Country 2" lift on Saturday and all the rear does is lower the factory parts. If I looked up the correct part #(60811) for your air lift it shows the air line coming up from the bottom. If this is correct the air bags will work with the Rough Country lift.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Concours -- you've got the right part number (60811), I wasn't too concerned with the airlines as much as the impact of removing the bump stop. It has to be removed for the air bag to fit into the spring. I'm super pleased with the airbags it firmed up the ride, raised the back of the XK up a bit and keeps a nice level ride when towing. My concern really was is there any problem if I add the lift and head off-road without the bump stop in. Should the airbags be enough to prevent any kind of complete shock compression or tire rubbing at max compress?

I think psycho787 kind of put it best... it should be okay, but best to check with the jack once i get it on before heading out to the trail.

BTW -- do you like the RC 2" you just installed? Does Front and Back have similar lift now? (meaning no rake)

Thanks for all the help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

I like the lift so far I've only had it for a few days. The rake is less than 1/2". As far as the air bags long as you keep the minimum amount of pressure required you will be fine. When I worked as a Tech our shop installed dozens of air bags. We did a group that went on a trip to Alaska and had zero problems. One vehicle was a Grand Cherokee and another was a Liberty. Their trip included towing trailers and some off-road exploring.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Excellent Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in