need options for upgrading existing 2in. lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,939, Level: 33 Points: 2,939, Level: 33 Points: 2,939, Level: 33
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

need options for upgrading existing 2in. lift

haven't posted in awhile. life has been busy this winter like most i am sure.

i have a 2007 jeep commander with the 4.7L and i lifted it last year using the tuff county 2in spacer lift. i put a set of 265/65/17 open county AT11's and called it a day. the previous owner had put 20in. chrome rims on it and i just had to get it looking like a proper jeep again.

I'm ready to upgrade, wether that be new springs, shocks/struts. or saving a little more saving a little longer and going with the OME HD kit. my jeep just hit 72K miles and I'm ready to replace the stock shocks for something better anyways, so i might as well go a bit further.

could i keep my currant spacer lift and just buy new springs from OME and blister shocks and call it good? i plan on keeping this jeep until it falls apart so i want to do it the right way or at least piece together a good set up for light trails and fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

The OME springs is what gives it it's lift. They are taller then stock springs so you wouldn't need the spacer lift if you get the OME springs. I'm not sure what shocks would work with the taller springs but I'm sure someone here does. Nice looking Commander you got there!

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought. I just wasn't completely sure. The other option for the time being was to install rustys 1/2in plates until I can figure out how to purchase a few things nudr my wife's nose. I'm very interested in improving the ride quality of my commander and I know OME stuff does just that. To make it easier I want to find someone that can install it for me. I'm not equipped to something that extensive.

Would the OME HD kit install be something I with the help of a diesel mechanic of 20years do in a weekend?

Thanks for the response.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Points: 5,068, Level: 45 Points: 5,068, Level: 45 Points: 5,068, Level: 45
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

I just upgraded my 2" lift last week. I got rid of the 2" rough country spacer up front and swapped it out for OME HD strut/springs and the RRO leveling spacer. In the rear I added the OME HD springs while keeping the RC spacer and threw in some bilstein 5125series shocks. Added some 17X9 wheels with 5.7 backspace and 275/70r17 mud terrains and I couldn't be happier. The setup works great and everything fits well with no problems at all. Tires are not even close to rubbing with pinch weld mod done. I did it all myself in about a day and I'm not a mechanic so I'm sure you and your friend could get it done in a weekend.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

i don't mind the spacer lift as it sits but i wouldn't mind a more capable set up and a better ride.

how is the ride with the OME HD kit? i hear its a pretty sweet ride compared t stock trim. i'm going to put the bug in my buddies ear to see if he wouldn't mind giving me a hand. he if excepts, it's a no brainer and i'd hope to have it by the end of winter. if he's not into it i'm going to try and find a good shop that will order it and install
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 AM

I like it, stiffer and feels more solid.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqbennett View Post
I like it, stiffer and feels more solid.

i like a firm ride. I'm not into a jeep that is cushy. I'm going to make a few calls into a couple shop i know and see what my options are and see if they are willing to order for me. the less paper trail i leave at home on the computer the better, like order conformations and things like that.

with the OME HD kit does the front level out with the rear? if not i am considering just getting rusts spacers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqbennett View Post
I just upgraded my 2" lift last week. I got rid of the 2" rough country spacer up front and swapped it out for OME HD strut/springs and the RRO leveling spacer. In the rear I added the OME HD springs while keeping the RC spacer and threw in some bilstein 5125series shocks. Added some 17X9 wheels with 5.7 backspace and 275/70r17 mud terrains and I couldn't be happier. The setup works great and everything fits well with no problems at all. Tires are not even close to rubbing with pinch weld mod done. I did it all myself in about a day and I'm not a mechanic so I'm sure you and your friend could get it done in a weekend.
Just curious if this same setup would work with the OME shocks in the rear as well? Are you using bilsteins in rear because they are longer than ome or just preference? Also does stacking the spacer on the rear ome hd spring leave you with any brake line issues? With this setup does your Jeep look leveled? Also what size leveling spaced are you using up front. I've heard that 22.5 inches from center hub to bottom of fender flare is the longest measurement before messing with angles....are you still within this measurement? I just ordered the ome hd setup and would like to use in conjunction with my current rc spacer lift if its possible. Did you need longer sway bar links? Adjustable track bar? Thanks for any info you have and anyone else that has done this can chime in as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM

Hey Montucky, I've had my modified lift installed for just over a week now and I can give you my opinions based on my experience and things I've heard, but others with a little more knowledge might be able to add more. I'd definitely say go ahead and do it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. A lot of the other upgrades you mentioned I think are only necessary depending on what you plan on doing with your jeep and mostly only necessary for off roading. I haven't done any of them yet but wont be off roading until the weather gets a little nicer and plan on it before then. As for the shocks, I went with the bilsteins based on length. They can also be had for about 20 bucks a piece less. If you bought the full OME kit that came with the shocks you should be able to use them just know that you wont have quite as much travel. Sway bar links-I currently have the stock links but had to crank them way up to get everything to line up. I would consider extended links a must. I made the mistake of ordering the part number supelift list on their website for the 4" kit from a separate vendor only to find out later that superlift does not list the part number for complete assembly for some odd reason. I called superlift and the guy said they usually don't sell small parts like the links separately but would if he had them in stock, but they had a $200 price tag. The JKS QD links will also work and cost about $150. Superlifts parts description says hummer H2 link so I think I will take my stock links in to the local parts store and compare them to some stock replacement H2 links when I decide to swap them out to see if those might fit as an extended replacement. I don't have an adjustable track bar but the driver's side tire seems to stick out maybe an inch or so further so its on the list of things to do. Just looked at the clock and realized I have to leave for work, I'll post up again later to answer the rest of your questions and explain in more detail but to sum it up brake lines may or may not be an issue depending on several factors and I would not worry about the angles with this setup. Also I'm using the rocky road leveling spacer.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 PM

I did a couple quick measurements today but my driveway isn't level and has some ice and packed down snow on it so they aren't completely accurate but should help give you an idea. I'm at work now and don't have them with me but center hub to fender on passenger side was 22 5/8, and I think drivers side was 22 3/8. Pretty much within that 22.5 you mentioned. The angles dont look extreme to me, maybe only slightly worse than with RC only. A lot of members have been running the leveling spacers with the 2" lifts for a long time and I haven't heard any complaints of people replacing parts left and right so I'm sure the components can handle it. As for it being level, I think the back measured somewhere around 1/2" or just a little more higher. Really not very noticeable and more level than stock. I know a lot of people like to have it leveled out but I'd take a 3+ inch lift with a little bit of rake over a level 2" lift. I can post a picture tonight when I get home if you want. As for the brakes, the travel of the rear axle is limited especially on the drivers side by a couple things and any mods to maximize travel will require a bracket to drop the drivers side down a little bit. The upper control arm hits the gas tank craddle on the drivers side and limits travel. It can be trimmed to increase travel, but without this mod done I dont think it can drop far enough to effect the line. the passenger side is longer, and even with the drivers upper control arm disconnected during install and the axle dropped way down the passenger side seemed like it had planty of length. Also if you are not using longer shocks I think they will prevent dropping low enough to pull the line. If you are off road and have longer shocks, the gas tank mod, and longer/disconnected sway bars it should probably be dropped down. You can make a simple bracket from stuff you would find at the hardware store. I haven't done this yet, but like I said it's been a week and I'm only driving on the street until weather improves and it is fine for that. Once it warms up I'm going to mod the gas tank, get longer end links, and do some checks at full drop then drop the brake line as needed. Depending on what size tire your running you may also want to consider extending the rear bump stops. It will stop you from popping off your fender flares when you're at full stuff. Sorry these last posts are so long, I know its a lot to read but I think the more information you have, the easier it is to make a decision. I can't think of anything else you would need to consider, I'm sure someone else will chime in if there's anything to add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in