Budget lift vs ome full suspension lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Budget lift vs ome full suspension lift

Hi I'm new to the forum. I've been looking around to add a suspension lift to my truck. I've seen budget lift kits from rocky road that are around $450 and full ome kits for around ~$750. I'd like to know the difference in these two kits. The only difference I notice is that the ome comes with struts and the budget doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

The budget lifts use spacers to gain lift. In the front, this can be either a spacer that mounts on top of the strut (Rough Country lift) or a spacer that mounts inside the strut (Daystar). For the rear, it is simply a coil spring spacer that sits on top of the spring. I would suggest goin' with the RC 2" lift, as it truly levels the front, unlike the daystar kit. The best part is, the RC kit only costs $150.

The OME kit provides lift with the use of replacement springs front and rear. The struts are not needed to gain lift, as it is all in the springs. The springs are the same length as stock, just higher spring rates I believe. Because of this, you can just order the springs and use your stock struts if you want to save a bit a money. Many just upgrade the struts to replace worn stockers.

On a side note, is your username a reference to the rap group Gangstarr?

-Ross
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Figure on spending 1200-1300 OME. But it is worth it if you can.
I started with a RC lift then changed to OME a few years later.
OME is a lot of work if you have not taken the front struts and
springs out before.
If you go OME get the heavy duty front and rear.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Figure on spending 1200-1300 OME.
I'd say this figure is a bit high. Rocky-road.com has the complete kit for $790.

Strut/spring install and alignment cost me $200 at my local shop. For the rear, I purchased an old set of 4" SL springs from another member and installed 'em my self. Rear install is very straightforward and I wouldn't suggest paying someone else when its so easy to do it yourself. Not to mention it's a great learning experience if you've never worked on your suspension before. I'm sure the shorter OME springs would be much easier than the longer SL springs to slip in with the axle dropped.

So, if you do the rear yourself and shop around for a well priced install, your probably looking at around $1000 total.

Last edited by Ross; 03-21-2014 at 11:56 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The budget lifts use spacers to gain lift. In the front, this can be either a spacer that mounts on top of the strut (Rough Country lift) or a spacer that mounts inside the strut (Daystar). For the rear, it is simply a coil spring spacer that sits on top of the spring. I would suggest goin' with the RC 2" lift, as it truly levels the front, unlike the daystar kit. The best part is, the RC kit only costs $150

The OME kit provides lift with the use of replacement springs front and rear. The struts are not needed to gain lift, as it is all in the springs. The springs are the same length as stock, just higher spring rates I believe. Because of this, you can just order the springs and use your stock struts if you want to save a bit a money. Many just upgrade the struts to replace worn stockers.

On a side note, is your username a reference to the rap group Gangstarr?

-Ross
Yes my name is a reference to the rap group.

I am familiar with the rc and daystar spacer lifts. I am currently running the daystar. My question was about the budget lift that includes shocks and springs compared to the ome that also includes struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Figure on spending 1200-1300 OME. But it is worth it if you can.
I started with a RC lift then changed to OME a few years later.
OME is a lot of work if you have not taken the front struts and
springs out before.
If you go OME get the heavy duty front and rear.
I can get the ome for $790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I'd say this figure is a bit high. Rocky-road.com has the complete kit for $790.

Strut/spring install and alignment cost me $200 at my local shop. For the rear, I purchased an old set of 4" SL springs from another member and installed 'em my self. Rear install is very straightforward and I wouldn't suggest paying someone else when its so easy to do it yourself. Not to mention it's a great learning experience if you've never worked on your suspension before. I'm sure the shorter OME springs would be much easier than the longer SL springs to slip in with the axle dropped.

So, if you do the rear yourself and shop around for a well priced install, your probably looking at around $1000 total.

Yea my local shop quoted me $250 for full install.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 02:32 AM

I was in the same boat as you with the daystar kit a few years back. I ended up just getting the front HD OME springs/struts to bring up the badly sagging front end. After install I gained 3" of lift in the front, which really blew me away. With just the daystar in the rear, it was about an 2" higher in the front. So I put on some F-150 Monroe load leveling shocks in the rear, which gave me an inch of lift, and placed the front at just an inch higher than rear.

Recently I swapped in Stite's old SL springs in the rear which gave me 2" of lift, putting the rear an inch higher. You can achieve the same results by placing the daystar spacer on top of the rear OME springs. This setup has allowed members to fit 33"-34" tires, with a bit of trimming haha.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Can you use the daystar spacers with the ome hd in the front and rear? To give 4+ inches of lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in