XK with OME MD Lift, advice on upgrade option needed - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

XK with OME MD Lift, advice on upgrade option needed

I just lifted my 2007 XK Limited HEMI with OME MD kit (I ordered the parts, an off-road shop installed for me).

I know I should went with HD and that's what I decided, how I ended up with MD is a result of multiple unfortunately events ( ordered the HD kit from thesteelarmadillo, they order it from a wholesale company, the wholesales drop shipped to me about two weeks ago. I was in a hurry on the day I received the parts, forgot to check the part numbers, just dropped them at the shop same day, then I dropped my commander at shop last week for installation, it's not until after installation that I checked part number sticker on the springs, wow, they are OME-990 and OME-992....)

anyway..

My xk was pretty much full armored before the lift, I have the set of three Mopar skid plates, 4xguard matrix guard full kit, also installed the 4xguard belly guard at the same day when OME kit were installed. other parts being installed with OME kit at same time are JBA upper A-arm, Rusty's rear track bar, spidertrax 1.5'' wheel spacer, also did the pinch weld mod. will install 4xguard front skid plate and rear differential guard soon.

I still have the old tire with stock size(245/65/17) now, the hub (center of the wheel) to fender measurement are : Front 20 3/4'', rear 20 1/2'', pretty much same between driver/passenger sides. As I understand it, since the front fender well is larger, this means it's pretty much leveled front to rear. If my memory services me right, the measurement before lift (with matrix guard, skid plates) were: Front less than 18 1/2'' if not just 18'' (it was much lower than other stock commanders I think) , rear about 19 3/4'', so OME MD lifted front more than 2 1/4 inch, rear less than an inch.

my front oem suspension were very weak and soft before the lift, especially after I had skid plates and matrix guard installed about one and half month ago. I like the ride quality with OME now, and don't mind go little more stiffer. It's just the lifted height is not up to my expectation, especially the rear. Consider it may drop down probably 1/4 to half inch when the springs settle in several months, also I'm planning to get a rear steel bumper with tire carrier in few months before replacing the stock size tires to 265/70/17 goodyear duratrac, I image that will push the rear down probably another half inch? I will may also use a portable winch front or rear.

So looking for advices on the upgrade I can do. Overall I want front 1 to 1 1/2 inch higher than now, rear 1/2 to 1 inch higher than front, so it will level when I get the rear steel bumper and when I go travel with fully loaded up trunk

1. Replacing both front/rear MD springs to HD springs ? It's hard to accept the cost ($340 parts + 4-5hrs labor) when I'm thinking that only if I checked the part numbers on the day I received the parts..., so if I'm going to replace the springs, I would like to do more at same time with pretty much same labor cost.

2. Just replace the rear with HD springs, It's probably only one hr labor or I can do it myself. But I remember reading somewhere that it said it's not suggested to have MD front and HD rear.

3. Replace with HD spring front and rear, add one 3/8'' RRO spacer or two 1/4'' spacers at front, add 1 or 1 1/2 inch spacer at rear(suggestion on the rear spacers?), with this option, do I have to replace the rear OME shock with longer ones?

4. Go with superlift. can I use current OME strut and front MD springs with it? Can I just buy only the front parts of the kit from superlift, so I can just get JBA rear spring? If the OME front MD or HD springs can be used with superlift, Should I get 4 inches or 6 inches JBA springs? What shocks should I use?

5. any other things needed be done with option 3 or 4? or any other options?

70% usage of the commander is long distance travel, going some FSR roads for hiking/climbing, going some not-so-hardcore "off-road" places for camping. Is it even wise to go that much lift with superlift ? consider more than half of the millage will be on hwy.

Come back to measurement, Front 20 3/4'', rear 20 1/2'', I know it's pretty low compare to many people with OME kit, how much difference you can usually get between MD and HD? I was reading the documents on ARB site yesterday, the new guide says 1.25'' lift with "MD" springs(2990/2992) on light loaded XK, 1.5'' with "HD" Springs(2991/2993) on XK with medium load(90-400lb).

I know there are lots of questions I posted here, I appreciate any helps and thank you for your time.

Last edited by ericyin; 03-24-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Going to a full superlift is going to cost quite a bit, as I was quoted 800 for labor alone a few years back. You should look into the setup that I'm runnin', as this is also my daily driver on the highway.

My setup is with HD OME springs/struts up front + 1/4" leveling spacer, which gives me around 3" of lift. This puts me at 23" hub to fender, which is the really the max you can go without blowing cv's and tie rods due to bad angles.

In the rear, I have a set of used 4" SL springs, which put the rear at an inch higher than the front. These springs were just listed for $124 new in the "SL springs part #" thread recently started by gangstarr. That means they are even cheaper than OME HD springs, with all the results of the Superlift. With this setup, members have been able to run 33-34" tires. Install isn't too bad and a is a good learning experience, so I'd only pay for the front install if I were you.

To see how much a rear steel bumper will affect the SL springs, check out Matt's profile. He is runnin' SL springs with a steel armadillo bumper. I have all the exact mods as you as far as skids, except I have 265/70/17's. Here's a pic of my rig to give you an idea of how it could turn out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20140131_174851.JPG
Views:	3858
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	10105   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20140131_174857.JPG
Views:	5147
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	10113   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20140131_174924.JPG
Views:	6050
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	10121  

2015 Pro-4x Nissan Frontier/Factory rear electronic locker in factory modified rear Titan axle/2.5"Front\2"Rear lift

Sold-2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander/3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer/4" rear SL springs/265/70/r17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E)/1.5" spidertraxx spacers/F-150 Monroe Load Levelers/4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders/Airflow snorkel/Thrush welded exhaust/

For Sale
Complete 3.07 to 3.73 V6 gear swap
Powertrax rear locker

Last edited by Ross; 03-24-2014 at 10:44 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Going to a full superlift is going to cost quite a bit, as I was quoted 800 for labor alone a few years back. You should look into the setup that I'm runnin', as this is also my daily driver on the highway.

My setup is with HD OME springs/struts up front + 1/4" leveling spacer, which gives me around 3" of lift. This puts me at 23" hub to fender, which is the really the max you can go without blowing cv's and tie rods due to bad angles.

In the rear, I have a set of used 4" SL springs, which put the rear at an inch higher than the front. These springs were just listed for $124 new in the "SL springs part #" thread recently started by gangstarr. That means they are even cheaper than OME HD springs, with all the results of the Superlift. With this setup, members have been able to run 33-34" tires. Install isn't too bad and a is a good learning experience, so I'd only pay for the front install if I were you.

To see how much a rear steel bumper will affect the SL springs, check out Matt's profile. He is runnin' SL springs with a steel armadillo bumper. I have all the exact mods as you as far as skids, except I have 265/70/17's. Here's a pic of my rig to give you an idea of how it could turn out:

I really like what you put together for your lift with OME springs upfront with additional 1/4" leveling spacers and 4" SL springs in the back. The 1" higher rear rake isn't bad looking at all ...especially when its weighed down a bit and levels off (you wont be tail end drooping)

I was originally thinking a 2-2.25" RC or RR spacer lift kit, with an additional 1/2" spacer up front, and a 1/4" in the rear, just to get a little more out of it without going too far.

But this seems like a better way to go, assuming that the 4" SL springs don't lift the rear to a point where any drive train issues will occur or I'm going to wear parts out quickly. I saw thread showing that going above 3" creates issues. Is it an issue at all with the 4" SL rear springs?

I know OME offers a heavy and medium spring and I would use the OME HD spring up front...but does SL offer a heavy vs med spring for the rear? looks like the 2 rear springs are # 01-515.
Also, with the 4" rear spring, did you have to change out anything such as brake lines or anything?
I found the thread where the springs were being discussed https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...d.php?p=286673

This is also my daily driver on the highway and some light off road stuff, like dirt roads/trails at deer camp... so I'm not looking to get carried away but want to do it once and in a way I will be happy with. Plus I want to get a 265/70/17 tire in there too.

Last edited by BBCBIRD; 03-20-2015 at 11:50 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50 Points: 5,968, Level: 50
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

A Update

After one and half years, I finally went with superlift upgrade patch. It could be three months earlier if not for back order of superlift steering knuckle.

To get it done once for all (sure hope so), I went with modified superlift this time. In additional to superlift, I used OME front struct + OME HD spring (new spring no cutting, without superlift preload plate), JBA 6 inch coil at rear, added Rusty's adjustable rear Upper/Lower control arm. Rear shock is still superlift one, will switch to fox ones next month. Spidertrax wheel spacer, JBA UCA and Rusty's rear track bar which I had before are all in place. Tire is 285/70R17 Duratrac, this is pretty much largest tire I can go without changing rim.

After initial drive and alignment, hub to fender is at 25 1/2 (front), 25 3/8 at back. I think it will eventually drop to 25 or so after spring settle finally in few months.

P.S Now I have an almost full set OME MD kit (without front struct) in hand, also a pair of new superlift rear springs and rear LCAs. If anyone in WA state area wants them, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XK-Front.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	16609   Click image for larger version

Name:	XK-Rear.jpg
Views:	1636
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	16617   Click image for larger version

Name:	XK-Side.jpg
Views:	1860
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	16625  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Damn that looks nice. Pretty much what I'm shooting for, if you don't mind me asking, what do you have in parts $$? PM me if you want. Thanks! Just trying to wrap my head around the cost so I can start saving.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 AM
Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tisoy909 Send a message via Yahoo to Tisoy909
So, just to make sure I understand correctly, you don't have the SL knuckle in the front or the SL front spacer but instead have OME HD springs and HD shocks for the front and JBA 6' springs for the back in there with the SL rear shock? But everything else from the SL kit is in there? Are the OME HD springs a 6inch lift? It looks really nice.

Last edited by Tisoy909; 01-06-2017 at 04:25 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisoy909 View Post
So, just to make sure I understand correctly, you don't have the SL knuckle in the front or the SL front spacer but instead have OME HD springs and HD shocks for the front and JBA 6' springs for the back in there with the SL rear shock? But everything else from the SL kit is in there? Are the OME HD springs a 6inch lift? It looks really nice.
You dug this one up from the grave.

OME HD springs alone are NOT 6" lift in the front. He is running superlift spacer + OME HD spring.

Here ill link a modified Superlift thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...hread-2563202/

This goes for WK's and XKs of course.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 01-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Points: 128, Level: 2 Points: 128, Level: 2 Points: 128, Level: 2
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Very nice jeep man
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55 Points: 7,139, Level: 55
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 88750
Garage
Looks good. You can fit 315/70/17 on stock rims you just need to run a bit lower PSI. I am getting ready to put 315/70 on my stock wheels. I just prepped the XK for this size. I run a modified OME lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Hemi XK
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Hey, I know this is an old thread but just wondered if I was reading it correctly and with the OME HD springs with a 1/4” spacer you got to 23” hub to fender and that enabled you to get some 33s on there?

I’m getting the same setup (with the OME shocks) and thinking of the 1/4” spacer. Should I be able to fit 33s on there too or have you done something more to get them in? Cheers

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in