I just lifted my 2007 XK Limited HEMI with OME MD kit (I ordered the parts, an off-road shop installed for me).
I know I should went with HD and that's what I decided, how I ended up with MD is a result of multiple unfortunately events ( ordered the HD kit from thesteelarmadillo, they order it from a wholesale company, the wholesales drop shipped to me about two weeks ago. I was in a hurry on the day I received the parts, forgot to check the part numbers, just dropped them at the shop same day, then I dropped my commander at shop last week for installation, it's not until after installation that I checked part number sticker on the springs, wow, they are OME-990 and OME-992....)
My xk was pretty much full armored before the lift, I have the set of three Mopar skid plates, 4xguard matrix guard full kit, also installed the 4xguard belly guard at the same day when OME kit were installed. other parts being installed with OME kit at same time are JBA upper A-arm, Rusty's rear track bar, spidertrax 1.5'' wheel spacer, also did the pinch weld mod. will install 4xguard front skid plate and rear differential guard soon.
I still have the old tire with stock size(245/65/17) now, the hub (center of the wheel) to fender measurement are : Front 20 3/4'', rear 20 1/2'', pretty much same between driver/passenger sides. As I understand it, since the front fender well is larger, this means it's pretty much leveled front to rear. If my memory services me right, the measurement before lift (with matrix guard, skid plates) were: Front less than 18 1/2'' if not just 18'' (it was much lower than other stock commanders I think) , rear about 19 3/4'', so OME MD lifted front more than 2 1/4 inch, rear less than an inch.
my front oem suspension were very weak and soft before the lift, especially after I had skid plates and matrix guard installed about one and half month ago. I like the ride quality with OME now, and don't mind go little more stiffer. It's just the lifted height is not up to my expectation, especially the rear. Consider it may drop down probably 1/4 to half inch when the springs settle in several months, also I'm planning to get a rear steel bumper with tire carrier in few months before replacing the stock size tires to 265/70/17 goodyear duratrac, I image that will push the rear down probably another half inch? I will may also use a portable winch front or rear.
So looking for advices on the upgrade I can do. Overall I want front 1 to 1 1/2 inch higher than now, rear 1/2 to 1 inch higher than front, so it will level when I get the rear steel bumper and when I go travel with fully loaded up trunk
1. Replacing both front/rear MD springs to HD springs ? It's hard to accept the cost ($340 parts + 4-5hrs labor) when I'm thinking that only if I checked the part numbers on the day I received the parts...
, so if I'm going to replace the springs, I would like to do more at same time with pretty much same labor cost.
2. Just replace the rear with HD springs, It's probably only one hr labor or I can do it myself. But I remember reading somewhere that it said it's not suggested to have MD front and HD rear.
3. Replace with HD spring front and rear, add one 3/8'' RRO spacer or two 1/4'' spacers at front, add 1 or 1 1/2 inch spacer at rear(suggestion on the rear spacers?), with this option, do I have to replace the rear OME shock with longer ones?
4. Go with superlift. can I use current OME strut and front MD springs with it? Can I just buy only the front parts of the kit from superlift, so I can just get JBA rear spring? If the OME front MD or HD springs can be used with superlift, Should I get 4 inches or 6 inches JBA springs? What shocks should I use?
5. any other things needed be done with option 3 or 4? or any other options?
70% usage of the commander is long distance travel, going some FSR roads for hiking/climbing, going some not-so-hardcore "off-road" places for camping. Is it even wise to go that much lift with superlift ? consider more than half of the millage will be on hwy.
Come back to measurement, Front 20 3/4'', rear 20 1/2'', I know it's pretty low compare to many people with OME kit, how much difference you can usually get between MD and HD? I was reading the documents on ARB site yesterday, the new guide says 1.25'' lift with "MD" springs(2990/2992) on light loaded XK, 1.5'' with "HD" Springs(2991/2993) on XK with medium load(90-400lb).
I know there are lots of questions I posted here, I appreciate any helps and thank you for your time.