Coil Spring Problems - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Coil Spring Problems

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere on the forum but I could not find it and its been quite awhile since I have been here.

I have an 2006 Limited Commander with the tow package and 4.7 L. Purchased new and have done some light towing. The only suspension work was the addition of bilsteins all the way around and Robby's front leveling kit that he and I installed when new. When looking at the Jeep from the front or rear you can clearly see it sits lower on the drivers side both in the front and the rear. There is a 1/2" deference in height with the drivers side being the lowest. It seems to have gotten worse but was never even since new. I was looking to simply replace all 4 coil springs but wanted some other options. I like the front being up 1" from stock (thanks to Robby) and was not interested in lifting the whole thing since I like the ride and look of the stock tire size and they were just replaced. Was thinking of OME 1.25" coils for the front and the 1.50" for the rear that does not seem like a whole lot of lift unless they under estimate their product. Also, if I did go that route would I still keep Robby's 1/2 leveling kit on it or do the OME coils also level the jeep so Robby's would have to come off. They do not however show a different coil for left and right and I was under the impression that the drivers side should be a longer or heavier spring due to the drive, fuel tank, battery and all on that side.

Not sure what has caused all this and am wondering if the factory put the coils on the wrong sides to start with and by the way I am really not as "big" as some of you may be thinking at this point so it was not a driver weight issue.

When searching for factory coils for the commander they show my part number with 9 different spring codes for the front and if a remember right 6 for the rear. I think all the different codes are for build such as hemi, towing, 3.7, 4.7 as well as left and right side but even the dealer cannot tell me exactly what springs with what codes go where. One dealer says one thing and the next says another.

I really like the ride quality and the look and handling so I want to stay as close the factory in that regard as possible but 1.25 -1.50 is not a great deal of difference from that.

I would add that nothing is broken or bent and the springs are all seated properly. The Jeep has never been off-road

Any thoughts, suggestions, input would be welcome.

Last edited by Commander Ron; 06-07-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

The OME springs will give you more than 1.25 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear!

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56 Points: 7,218, Level: 56
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Their part numbers for the coils (OME 2990 1.25 and OME 2992 1.50) only show the lift I mentioned. I was concerned they would lift it more than that so may not be an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in