Problems after the lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
Problems after the lift

OK took the Commander into the shop today to see if my mechanic had any ideas what was making the noise. He was kinda busy so sent me to another buddy who has a suspension/alignment shop. He put it on the lift and shook the hell out of it and came to the conclusion the noise is not in the suspension, but coming from the drivetrain more specifically the transfer case. Took it back to my buddy's shop he put it on the lift. He didn't think the angles on the transfer case were that bad and shouldn't be the problem. My half shafts have some extreme angle on them though and he thinks that is the problem. I can't afford to throw money at it until it is fixed. The wife is already pissed about me putting money into lifting it and now I need to put more money in to get it right. any help is appreciated.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by XK Lover; 09-08-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

sorry friend, there's not a lot of information in your post. What sort of noise is it? What circumstances do you hear the noise? (speed, throttle input, steering, etc etc etc)

give us as much info as you can so we can try to help.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Everything is stretched out a bit further now so if anything in your suspension was bad or on its was out you would definitely hear it more now. You can shake every part of that front end by hand all you want but it ain't gonna do a thing! Lol! I had a clunk forever and couldn't figure it out. It ended up being a lower ball joint and I must have shook it (by hand! Lol!) A hundred times and said that can't be it! Wasn't til I go it out that I could tell. If you give a little more information on what you are hearing we could probably narrow it down.

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
well right after the lift there was a steady clicking, vibration noise indicating to me it was the CV joint. I ordered new half shafts and have them sitting in the garage because I wasn't able to get that lower bolt out of the strut fork. Yesterday there was loud popping and wheel jumping almost like something was trying to break and come through the floor boards. I knew something was seriously wrong at this point and that's why I took it to the shop. I guess in the back of my head I still think it's those half shafts just needing replaced, but with the added doubts from talking to people today I am concerned it's not the problem.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Points: 18,953, Level: 87 Points: 18,953, Level: 87 Points: 18,953, Level: 87
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: No
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 159000
Garage
Did the mechanic take it out for a drive with you, in an effort to replicate your concerns?

Shaking it around doesn't nearly simulate the impact of hitting a pothole at 30mph, or decelerating and braking while turning...

Looking at the front suspension, I'd replace the sway bar end links just to mark that off the list. I'd also be curious about the condition of the lower ball joints. Noises are hard to troubleshoot over the internet, if you think you've screwed up a CV somehow, then by all means that's probably the noise.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 PM

well, here's what I think:
I think that if you've already got the halfshafts there in the garage, then put 'em on. And while you're disassmebling to do so, you'll very likely find the noise-maker.

I'm a fan of replacing parts when I have to take them off and put them back on. Things like bushings, ball-joints, hardware, etc. And struts, if they've got some miles on them. ???

Finally: what size tire / wheel / spacer are you running? any chance you're hearing a wheel rubbing the inner fenderwell? that can make a hell of a shaking / racket.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

There is a whole thread on steering racks making noise after doing a 2" RC lift, might be worth reading and seeing if that is the problem. You seemed convinced its driveline, and maybe the conditions you get the noise would make it very likely only driveline, but you haven't really told us enough to rule one source of the noise from another.

Sway Bar bushings can cause clunks and bangs, as you the body sways one direction from the other or at least start to sway from neutral. And Commanders have them wear faster than other vehicles. But the sound would never be at the same frequency as driveline.

Push, Pull, Twist, Shake of the suspension and driveline to find slack and worn out joints, only works if the weight/pressure/force is off the joints/suspension/driveline. You have to put the vehicle up in the air and take the weight/pressure off the suspension, there is no way a human can produce the same force on a suspension as a 5000lb vehicle moving 60mph. Even with the weight/pressure off, a bad joint could still NOT show slack with just the force of a human.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Definitely sounds like a cv joint or a bad wheel sensor.

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-niceCommander View Post
Definitely sounds like a cv joint or a bad wheel sensor.

??? Bad wheel sensor?

I've never heard of a bad wheel sensor making a noise.

whatcha thinking? clue me in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
??? Bad wheel sensor?

I've never heard of a bad wheel sensor making a noise.

whatcha thinking? clue me in.
Maybe he meant Wheel Bearing?

Wheel Bearings usually make grinding or dull roar noises, although I guess its possible for them to make clicking noises, CV joints would be more likely to make that noise.

Something could get stuck between wheel sensor and tone ring and cause a noise, I guess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in