RC Lift to Bilstein 5100 Headache help!! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tisoy909 Send a message via Yahoo to Tisoy909
RC Lift to Bilstein 5100 Headache help!!

Just needed to access the XK knowledge bank here for some help guys! I've just replaced all four stock shocks with Bilstein 5100's on my Hemi and im stumped on what to do next as the 2inch lift setting I've chosen on the 5100's is now much lower than the RC 2 inch spacer was prior to the switch.

I was completely satisfied with the leveled out stance of the RC lift, and would like to maintain that height and leveled appearance achieved. But the need for new shocks had me go with new bilsteins all around, which were also a challenge to find. I left the two RC spacers in back, and set the 5100's at the 2" inch lift setting up front. The result is now an unbearable amount of rake. Because I was satisfied with the amount of lift in the rear I would like to leave the RC spacers in the back, but what do I do about these fronts. Center wheel to fender line measurements give me about 1 1/2" inches less in the front compared to the back whereas the RC was just about perfectly leveled out. I should have measured prior to the switch but it was your standard RC lift on a hemi commander and just about leveled out. I suppose my question is should I get the biggest spacer possible to fit on top of the front perch, which I understand to be about a 9/16th lift from RR or maybe a spring spacer for the fronts if there even is one? Or, maybe an OME for the front and adjust the perch down to .75 lift? What to do here? I cant handle the looks of my Commander now looking as if its ready for some silly cannonball run or something. The only good I can report at this point are those 5100s ride really well on road in lieu of dead shocks. What to do here guys? Thank you!

Last edited by Tisoy909; 12-19-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
http://jeepinbyal.com/jba-strut-spacer-plate-set.html

Or OME MD and 5100's @ lowest setting. Of course then you'll want OME springs in the rear.

RC is more like 2.25" lift. so that strut spacer set should put you right around the same rake.

How about some before and after pics?

Have you let it settle a bit?

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 12-19-2014 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tisoy909 Send a message via Yahoo to Tisoy909
Luckyse7ens, I didn't let suspension settle yet, though the thought of that would mean it may just settle more. Rears I had done about a week prior when i received the 5100s for the rear. Im thinking whats happening here is the 2 inch setting on the 5100's doesnt really create a 2 inch effect of lift maybe due to the weight of the Hemi, could this be why Bilstein doesnt call for application on the Commander and just the Grand Cherokee only? Really wish I had some before pics But what I can tell you is that the wheel center to fender line measurements now are 21 3/4" in the rear and 20 1/4" up front, giving me a 1 1/2" rake. I wouldnt be surprised if the RC is a bit more than 2"inches of lift. It gives a very good and leveled out lift which is probably why i'm finding it hard to accept this "new look". Regardless, I'm thinking of putting the front RC spacers back in and moving the 5100's 2inch setting down to its minimum of .75" and see how things turns out. if that turns out bad then just throw the biggest shim spacer in there I can find and start putting aside for a Superlift. I feel if i get a complete set of the OME springs i'll feel it would have been money better spent towards the Superlift.

Last edited by Tisoy909; 12-20-2014 at 10:05 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

From what I have read, what you're saying is you removed the front RC spacer to replace it with a shock that advertises 2 inches of lift. You need the RC spacer back into the front, and set the 5100s at .75. That should level you out, and give you a nice controlled ride and a dead level commander. Save the rake for the leaves.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:40 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Edited:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL-XK View Post
shocks keep your tires planted on the ground. Setting the shock to the correct hieght puts the shock in its proper operating range. Which means proper ride and full range of motion. I don't think I've heard of anyone using the 5100 to lift their jeep by its self. You need your spacers put back in or get a lift spring like OME as mentioned. Getting the OME isn't a waste if you do the modified super lift. Which having the 5100's and OME would put you right on track.
I have 5100 struts set @ 1.5" lift on my Commander. The lower spring perch is adjustable.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
I have 5100 struts set @ 1.5" lift on my Commander. The lower spring perch is adjustable.
I got ya! I got myself confused obviously which happens especially that late at night and checking multiple forums all at once.

The 5100's obtains lift by preloading the spring. The RC uses a spacer which pushes the entire setup down. A preload lift is more ideal than a spacer lift. I'm assuming he used his stock springs so their probably just wore out and toasted. The best solution is new OME springs. He could search around and see if anyone is selling their Hemi coils. I'm sure their are a few floating around the forums.

Standard OME springs:
OME990 = MD = 14.56" free height , 8.9 coils, 530 lbf/in, 18mm wire
OME991 = HD = 14.37" free height, 8.9 coils, 630 lbf/in, 19mm wire
I think stock OEM hemi springs are 500 lbf/in and 17mm wire but not 100%

I would also recommend ordering all new isolaters and such and get it all done at once. Again, sorry about the confusion from my previous post. I will edit it so nobody reads it and gets confused by it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in