Rough Country 2 inch lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rough Country 2 inch lift

I'm new to lifting vehicles and I have some questions. I got the rough country 2 inch lift recently. After it's on, will it sit level? What are the recommended tires I put on the Jeep afterwards? I wanna stick with 17 inch rims. Also, how bad will it look with stock wheels until I get new tires? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
It will sit level, but the front fender is a larger opening so if you focus on that it could appear higher in the front.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Points: 4,117, Level: 40 Points: 4,117, Level: 40 Points: 4,117, Level: 40
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Curious as well about how it would look with stock tires. I have my 2" RC kit sitting in the garage, and I was going to wait until my wife's Pilot needs new tires.. so I could move my Fortera's over to hers (they have 25k on them), and I could get new bigger tires - and lift done at the same time. That could be 6+ mos... so thinking about doing the lift now, but wonder what it would look like. Couldn't find any pictures on here through various searches. Anyone?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

SCMIIW, but the RC kit just uses pucks to raise the vehicle?

Pucks or Blocks are NOT the way to raise a vehicle, at the same time, only 2" should NOT be much of a problem. The increased ground clearance and bigger wheels will give you some additional off road ability, but you've done nothing for suspension travel, it is the same as OEM for off road ability.

The drawback will be more stress on the steering and front drive shafts, I've seen enough posts, that NO they will NOT go bad right away, but eventually they may wear out sooner than stock ride height.

When you raise a vehicle, you often need to modify the bump stops as well so that the suspension bottoms out on the bump stops like it should and NOT the shocks or springs. It depends on the suspension, where its bump stops, but it can damage springs and shocks if the suspension bottoms out on anything other than the bump stops after you modify it.

Long shocks can help, at least in the rear, cause they will allow an increase in rebound. The front, I think you'll be limited by the IFS.

Bigger tires, will likely need wheel spacers to get them to clear, seen plenty of posts that Commanders are NOT suffering any ill effects of the wheel spacers, everyone is using 1" or less, other vehicles have had increased wear or failures from wheel spacers.

If you're dying to know what it will look like with stock tire/wheels, raised 2", you could always use a jack and some stands/blocks to raise the body 2" and just look at it for yourself.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
SCMIIW, but the RC kit just uses pucks to raise the vehicle?

Pucks or Blocks are NOT the way to raise a vehicle, at the same time, only 2" should NOT be much of a problem. The increased ground clearance and bigger wheels will give you some additional off road ability, but you've done nothing for suspension travel, it is the same as OEM for off road ability.

The drawback will be more stress on the steering and front drive shafts, I've seen enough posts, that NO they will NOT go bad right away, but eventually they may wear out sooner than stock ride height.

When you raise a vehicle, you often need to modify the bump stops as well so that the suspension bottoms out on the bump stops like it should and NOT the shocks or springs. It depends on the suspension, where its bump stops, but it can damage springs and shocks if the suspension bottoms out on anything other than the bump stops after you modify it.

Long shocks can help, at least in the rear, cause they will allow an increase in rebound. The front, I think you'll be limited by the IFS.

Bigger tires, will likely need wheel spacers to get them to clear, seen plenty of posts that Commanders are NOT suffering any ill effects of the wheel spacers, everyone is using 1" or less, other vehicles have had increased wear or failures from wheel spacers.

If you're dying to know what it will look like with stock tire/wheels, raised 2", you could always use a jack and some stands/blocks to raise the body 2" and just look at it for yourself.
Plenty of members are using the rough country lift with no ill effects other than normal wear and tear items wearing out. As you say spacers are not ideal, OME springs would be a better solution.

@ the current age of these vehicles, shocks, ball joints, and bushings are worn and likely to need replaced sooner rather than later. Would a lift possibly accelerate wear? sure

Wheel spacers are fine exceeding 1", most people run 1.5" SPIDERTRAX spacers. I'm not entirely sure why this came up though.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Thanks, I brought up the spacers because he asked about bigger tires, and the spacers are often necessary for clearance. I wasn't sure on the sizes folks are running, thanks for clearing that up.

Agree with everything you said. Block/Pucks not ideal, but up to 2" of lift usually is fine and doesn't cause problems. If you're talking 4" with spacers pucks, I'd think you'd be running into problems.

Like I said, the extra ground clearance and bigger wheels will give you some better off road ability, so its truly NOT a worthless, just for looks, mod with 2" spacers. But a real lift uses springs and shocks and modified suspension pieces that create greater wheel travel in the suspension with that lift. Pucks/Blocks just raise the vehicle while keeping the same suspension travel.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Points: 6,007, Level: 50 Points: 6,007, Level: 50 Points: 6,007, Level: 50
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Stock tires with rc lift vs kenda klever 255/75 just under 32" maybe 31 3/4 dia
I'm a big fan of Google you can type in pretty much anything involving the commander and find a link to someone talking about it on this forum or even others. Tons of pics too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg
Views:	3110
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	14754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0235.jpg
Views:	4888
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	14762  

Last edited by XK-RoadRage; 02-27-2015 at 10:09 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Points: 1,069, Level: 17 Points: 1,069, Level: 17 Points: 1,069, Level: 17
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Not trying to hijack this post but I have the RC lift on my 08 Commander and got about 2.5" of lift. I have 18" wheels, anyone know if 275/65/18 (32") tires will fit? Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Points: 1,567, Level: 22 Points: 1,567, Level: 22 Points: 1,567, Level: 22
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

wow those tires definitely make it look better. Awesome before and after pics
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Points: 6,007, Level: 50 Points: 6,007, Level: 50 Points: 6,007, Level: 50
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Thanks coop..

Gscrews

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13494[/url]

Last edited by XK-RoadRage; 02-28-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in