Most Recommended Lift? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Most Recommended Lift?

First things first, gotta get the new XK lifted. From the more experienced XK people, is there a "best" option out there?
I want the OME HD setup. I contacted Crawl Offroad (haven't got a response back yet). Looking at either just the OME lift, or their modified OME lift using the adjustable Bilsteins and strut spacers also. That seems like the route I'd like to go.

I've seen so many combinations of rear springs with the OME front springs, then just as many shock/strut options. I'd like to get this right the first time, so what is the best setup combination I can go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
I would not recommend OME springs + bilstein 5100 struts + strut spacer.

Either the 5100 struts or strut spacer would be fine, but using both would take you beyond recommended angles for front end components. Your UCA would contact the spring, and significant wear would occur on front end components.

If you want 4"+ lift you need to go with the superlift.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
I would not recommend OME springs + bilstein 5100 struts + strut spacer.

Either the 5100 struts or strut spacer would be fine, but using both would take you beyond recommended angles for front end components. Your UCA would contact the spring, and significant wear would occur on front end components.

If you want 4"+ lift you need to go with the superlift.
^^^^^ You hit it the nail on head their. Their is a lot of bad crazy advice going on in some of the face book groups. Guys taking short cuts on normal mods wearing out and breaking their Jeeps. Then complaining because they can't afford to fix it and calling their XK\WK a POS.

zharry lucky gave you sound advice. Their is a lift limit without using the drop brackets from SL. We figured out a while ago that without the drop brackets about 3" of lift is the max for durability. At 3" you can reasonably DD and off road your XK without wearing out and breaking parts at a accelerated rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Since you guys are on the subject, how well would a RC or RR spacer + Blistein 5100 work up front? That seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way to do it. My plan(sorry for hijacking) is 5100's first, and then later adding the spacers. Lastly Load Levelers in the back with quick disconnects. Does this sound right?
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 PM

What size lift are you trying to get?

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 PM
Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

3", or basically whatever I can do without damaging everything under the front end. I will probably also buy one of the drop UCA , but only after the originals fail, simply because they're kinda expensive. $$$ I do not want 4" or the SL,at least not until I get car for my wife to drive, but that won't be anytime soon. But I do want a quality setup
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL-XK View Post
zharry lucky gave you sound advice. Their is a lift limit without using the drop brackets from SL. We figured out a while ago that without the drop brackets about 3" of lift is the max for durability. At 3" you can reasonably DD and off road your XK without wearing out and breaking parts at a accelerated rate.
And this is exactly what I'm going for. Not looking to get crazy with the actual height, and not that particular about exact inches measurement. Just looking to improve the look and give me a little more clearance when off road. But within my 2.5-3" of gained height, I want to ensure I get the best components to acheive that.

Thanks for the advice guys!
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

So, with that advice in mind, what's recommended more? OME springs with Bilsteins? Or just the OME kit and add strut spaces if needed to level front/back? Either set up should keep my angles decent. Is there any major (on or off road) ride difference between OME shocks and Bilstein shocks?
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM

For a 3" lift I think this pretty close to what Matt is or was using.

Parts
OME HD springs up front
Bilstien adjustable lowest setting up front. You can then measure your hub to fender length and see if you can lift it a little higher. I think 23" is the magic number somewhere around their I'd have to look that up though.
Super lift springs rear. I like a slight rake to the front and I think its functional for towing as well. Or OME with some spacers.
Bilstien rear shocks or Fox 2.0 shocks. You want extended length of at least 28" for wheel travel.
Front disconnects
The rear only takes minuets to unbolt the sway bar. With this setup you could run without a rear sway bar or get disconnects
Rusty's adjustable track bar. This is to keep your DS off the fuel tank.
JBA UCA
new isolators
Maybe do the lower ball joint while things are apart and also a good time to paint stuff
You might need a 1" spacer on the driver side rear to compensate for the fuel tank weight. But that can be added easily down the road.

Modifications I recommend.
Move the rear brake passenger side brake line bracket. Or get extended ones. The driver side probably don't need it but confirm this on your XK.
Fuel tank modification to add room for the control arm to drop more.
Pinch weld mod

Please take hub to fender measurements before you lift you XK

Not sure If I missed anything but if I think of something I'll edited it in. Or Matt can just yell at me

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 PM

I like to have some rake to the front and don't think it looks to bad either.

little different look

The main point I have is if you mix and match quality parts you will be ok. OME, bilstien, Fox, Super lift all good brand names. Just don't over do it on the lift and you have a chance of not snapping parts on your first off road trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in