Lowering a 08 Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lowering a 08 Commander

Has anyone lowered a commander like a SRT8 grand cheroke??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Points: 4,967, Level: 45 Points: 4,967, Level: 45 Points: 4,967, Level: 45
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

There are lower in kits that uses shorter but stiffer springs and online I have seen images of a lowered black commander with low-profile tires and a stereo system. I don't think that guy is on this form though. There's also a leveling kit the only raises the front if you're interested in leveling but not losing height.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

I believe Mopar offered lowering springs when the Commander was in production. I'm not sure if you can find these springs anymore.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 AM
Points: 2,939, Level: 33 Points: 2,939, Level: 33 Points: 2,939, Level: 33
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Not sure why you'd want to lower your rig. But this is my commander when I bought it. PO had put 20in. Rims on it with no lowering kit. I thought it look alright with just the rims. Any lower and it would have looked funny. Just my opinion.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Check the parts manuals and cross reference part numbers for springs. Most of the WK's ('05-'10 Grand Cherokee) suspension pieces are the same with the XK (Commander). Since they had different bodies and "maybe" different weights, the springs may be the one difference. I'm pretty sure the shocks/struts are the same.

Someone posted here about a blown Bilstein 5100 on their Commander and Bilstein refusing to honor the warranty because they do NOT list their 5100 for the Commander, just the Grand Cherokee, their 4600 is for both vehicles. People sell and use the 5100 on Commanders all the time because the suspension is so similar between the two. Don't know why Bilstein doesn't list the 5100 for the Commander, I suspect the Grand Cherokee has a few 5100's blow as well.

Check OME lifting springs, if they are the same for Commander and Grand Cherokee of the same years, then its a reasonable assumption that Grand Cherokee lowering springs would work reasonably well on the Commander as well, but its a risk if they don't list it as being for a Commander.

Personally, I am NOT into modifying suspension just for looks, granted I can see a minor adjustment to raise the front to level the forward rake of the Commander. Many vehicles that lower the suspension put up with lots of headaches and need repairs or early parts replacement. That varies, so perhaps a Commander might NOT be so bad. Hate to say it, but when I see a truck or jeep or SUV lowered, I can't help to think to myself, "You bought the wrong vehicle, should of got a big sedan".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 03-16-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in