08 Commander lift question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

08 Commander lift question

Im very new. First post picking up my commander Friday.

Anyway, I've been reading alot about different lifts and trying to find the best option for me. I just want a 2" lift so I can put some 265 70/17s on and make this jeep look like a jeep not a soccer van.

It will be a daily drive. However, I will be taking it off roaD. Hunting and fishing plus back trails to the beach front. Should I get spacer lift or Ome springs and bilstein shocks for front and back?

Also will.be replacing the front bumper with a steel one wit a winch and curious which front springs/shocks would be best up front to keep it from sinking in the front.

Last question belongs In another spot but ill ask it.here.to.save space. Where do you buy the wider fender flares for The commander?

Thank you and looking forward to some good answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
I have not seen aftermarket flares for this vehicle, some were custom made for one, but I don't think they were ever made available. Some of them come from the factory with faux rivets in them, they may be wider than the ones without.

Some members have cut their flares and that looks good with a big tire and lift. Paging sal-xk

*Edit*
if your getting a heavy duty bumper and winch I would go with the OME HD springs definitely.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 03-18-2015 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for.the help. Does the ome springs with shocks give same lift as a spacer lift? I don't want any rubbing at all.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theriddler07sms View Post
Thank you for.the help. Does the ome springs with shocks give same lift as a spacer lift? I don't want any rubbing at all.
OME springs will lift 2.5-3" depending on MD or HD (HD being higher) and weight. You may lose a bit of height with bumper and winch (but not much since thats what the HD was designed for), and you could counter that with strut plates if you so choose. Either way you'll get more height with the springs than you would with stock springs and a spacer lift. With or without the bumper and winch.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...tes-xk-wk.html

Instead of the strut plates you could use bilstein 5100 struts @ the lowest setting, which lift an additional .75," known as the "Modified OME lift."

http://www.crawl-offroad.com/#!produ...5/modified-ome

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 03-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

The steel armadillo makes front steel flares CLICK HERE

I cut my flares and bumper for more clearance and a better look. No body makes anything for the rear flares because of the design of the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Quote:
OME springs will lift 2.5-3" depending on MD or HD (HD being higher) and weight. You may lose a bit of height with bumper and winch (but not much since thats what the HD was designed for), and you could counter that with strut plates if you so choose. Either way you'll get more height with the springs than you would with stock springs and a spacer lift. With or without the bumper and winch.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...tes-xk-wk.html

Instead of the strut plates you could use bilstein 5100 struts @ the lowest setting, which lift an additional .75," known as the "Modified OME lift."

http://www.crawl-offroad.com/#!produ...5/modified-ome
That kit you linked Shows rear spring spacers? Does that increase lift even more? I'm really only looking for a couple inches. I do not want to mess with having to replace alot of underbody stuff because of to high of a lift.

Just enough to fit 265 70/17s without rubbing woth spacers and a higher stance.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM

2WD
Quote:
That kit you linked Shows rear spring spacers? Does that increase lift even more? I'm really only looking for a couple inches. I do not want to mess with having to replace alot of underbody stuff because of to high of a lift.

You either need wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing for 265 most likely or you can cut back the UCA bolt a bit.

OME lift springs are more than enough to clear those tires.

Yes that link has rear spring spacers and bilstein 5100's up front. This increases the lift more than the OME springs alone.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

You either need wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing for 265 most likely or you can cut back the UCA bolt a bit.

OME lift springs are more than enough to clear those tires.

Yes that link has rear spring spacers and bilstein 5100's up front. This increases the lift more than the OME springs alone.
So ome HD springs front and back, bilstein shocks up front. Does it replace the rear shocks too?

I've seen some videos where they replace control arms. Is that something that should be done too?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

2WD
Quote:
So ome HD springs front and back, bilstein shocks up front. Does it replace the rear shocks too?

I've seen some videos where they replace control arms. Is that something that should be done too?
That lift does, bilstein 5100 rear shocks.

Control arms aren't required, but typically @ this point people consider their UCA's @ EOL and figure they might as well replace them while they have the suspension in pieces.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 03-19-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

That lift does, bilstein 5100 rear shocks.

Control arms aren't required, but typically @ this point people consider their UCA's @ EOL and figure they might as well replace them while they have the suspension in pieces.
Sounds like that kit is the best kit for me than. A little spendy but itll be nice to have all new suspension parts than just putting a spacer in.

What's the difference from the Ome 2.5" lift to the Ome modified lift . Both you can choose HD springs . I'm confused on why one is better than the other

Last edited by theriddler07sms; 03-19-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in