[HELP] Modifying Rear OME lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
[HELP] Modifying Rear OME lift

Hi Guys,

Jeepcommander.com and Jeepforums has been so much help with my rig.

i haave the full OME lift and i just measured it the other day and i seem to be sitting and 22.5" in the front. so i just purchased JBA strut spacers which should bring me closer to 23" and that the max i want to go with out messing anything up.

I also just purchased some JBA UCA. been paranoid after seeing a few wrecked WK XK due to the stock uca giving out.

On to my question now.

I want to level the rear to match the front. i was thinking of 2 options

1) SL rear springs. (cant seem to find them, could someone point me to where i may be able to get them) will i be able to run them with the OME shocks or do i need a longer shock? also, would i need longer rear control arms to go with that? like the ones RRO sells?

I a looking to getting a adjustable track bar in the near future.

2) add a 1/2- 1" spacer.

thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

You'll want longer shocks with SL springs. You won't need longer control arms. You will want to get that adjustable track bar sooner then later. I believe the SL was on back order so getting the springs might be a little difficult. You could just add a spacer to the rear to level things out. Its a pretty cheap temporary solution until you can get what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL-XK View Post
You'll want longer shocks with SL springs. You won't need longer control arms. You will want to get that adjustable track bar sooner then later. I believe the SL was on back order so getting the springs might be a little difficult. You could just add a spacer to the rear to level things out. Its a pretty cheap temporary solution until you can get what you need.
Nailed it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63 Points: 8,899, Level: 63
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

You should message a member called "gangstarr", he purchased an extra set of SL springs when he installed his, I think he just called up Superlift and ordered a set for like $100. You could also add a rear 2" lift spacer in conjunction with the OME springs, like CoreXK; I have some daystar spacers you can have for free, just pay shipping.

Either way, I ran used SL springs for a year or so before I sold the XK. There are a few things to consider, as Sal said:

1.) Longer rear shocks, I used F-150 Monroe load levelers ~$100

2.) Longer Bump stops, most use body lift pucks\extd. bolts + stock bumpstops

3.) Longer Swaybar links
Some use extd JBA quick disconnects, or don't run a swaybar at all. I first used a set of used extd SL swaybar links, but upon hitting a rut hard while off-roadin', the link was able to make contact\dent the lower control arm. I ended up runnin it with no swaybar after that, and the jeep handled just fine, with max travel all the time, this works great with the load levelers.

4.) Minor trimming of gas tank skid
Need to cut out roughly a 4"x4" section from the top of the gas tank skid to give clearance for the driver's side lower control arm. Not too hard just a tight work area, I used a handheld hacksaw.

5.) Rusty's adjustable taskbar
This really helps the driveshaft keep clear of the gas tank while flexing. Matt has a pretty straightforward install write up.

Adding rear Superlift springs put the rear an inch higher then the front, which was OME HD struts\springs + 3/8" spacer. I think the rear measurement was ~39" ground to fender with worn 265/70/17's.

Good luck sourcing and installing the springs, they definitely give the XK a ton of lift for a fraction of what the whole kit costs.

2015 Pro-4x Nissan Frontier/Factory rear electronic locker in factory modified rear Titan axle/2.5"Front\2"Rear lift

Sold-2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander/3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer/4" rear SL springs/265/70/r17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E)/1.5" spidertraxx spacers/F-150 Monroe Load Levelers/4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders/Airflow snorkel/Thrush welded exhaust/

For Sale
Complete 3.07 to 3.73 V6 gear swap
Powertrax rear locker

Last edited by Ross; 03-19-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2006
2WD
WOW a bunch of great information here. Thanks guys i will need to read it a few times to let it sink in. and ROSS i think i will take you up on those Daystar spacers and run those until i can find a set of SL springs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24 Points: 1,729, Level: 24
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I'm also looking to run the SuperLift 4" lift springs in the rear and a modified OME spring/shock set up in the front.

I looked all over for them with no luck so far. I even started to consider the JBA 4" lift springs at $245.95, but if the SL springs could be found at about $100 I'd jump on them.

I just sent SL an email and asked if they will sell them separately from the kit along with the cost.
---------------------------------------------
Update on 3-30-15

I got a reply back today from SL that read as follows:

Thanks for your interest in our kits. For the commander we only have the 4Ē kit we sell. So I donít have a 2-2.5 lift for the rear. And to lift the rear you will need more than just the coils as you will need some drop brackets for everything to work together.

I know others have done it ...but according to SL, you can't just install a set of 4" rear springs without doing additional mods to the rear. I wonder if that's an answer for liability purposes or if they just want you to buy an entire SL 4" lift kit?

Last edited by BBCBIRD; 03-30-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in