Advice regarding Old Man Emu lift kit. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Advice regarding Old Man Emu lift kit.

Hey guys looking for some input. A while back I had the rough country 2" spacer lift on my 2007 Commander. Well I had some funny noises going on with the front end took it too the dealership and they told my my steering rack was shot. Had approximately 60,000 miles on the car at the time. Well I had an extended warranty and they replaced it all, they didn't notice the spacer lift I worried that the lift had caused the issue so I removed it. Well it looks like it's time now to replace the shocks rear ones are starting to leak. I've been looking at the Old Man Emu set up. So my questions are. Any of you guys with this set up experience any negative side effects from the lift as far as the steering components. Also would you recommend getting the JBA upper control arms or maybe save a few bucks and get perhaps a set of Moogs. Also the guys that have the lift any downside to getting the kit with the rear rocky road shocks instead and saving like $300? Thanks for any input guys just looking for some advice before dropping the money. Otherwise maybe I'll just do regular shocks and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:31 AM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Heard good things about OME but never had actual experience though, hope other people here would chime in. You may want to check Rancho kit, brother-in-law recently installed and very pleased with huge improvement on his TJ.
http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Rancho_Jeep_Shocks.22367

Also, this discussion should help:
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13930
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Get OME HD springs front and rear, and bilstein 5100's rear, and 4600hds front. 5100's and 4600's are internally the same shock, just 5100's are chrome finished and longer for the rears. 5100 front struts are adjustable and actually will lift your front end a minimum of .75." You'll need longer shocks in the rear, and stock length in the front hence the mix and match recommendation.

JBA UCA isn't necessary with just OME springs. I'd get the MOOG "Problem Solver" UCA's with the all metal ball joint and zerk fitting.

That should save you a few hundred $$
Wombler likes this.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 07-20-2015 at 03:16 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Ok great thanks for the advice. How much lift overall do you think I will get. And do you think the steering rack issue I had was just a fluke and not caused by the lift?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB261 View Post
Ok great thanks for the advice. How much lift overall do you think I will get. And do you think the steering rack issue I had was just a fluke and not caused by the lift?
I have heard of racks wearing out with rough country lifts.

There is a way to adjust the rack if you have the steering pop.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Get OME HD springs front and rear, and bilstein 5100's rear, and 4600hds front. 5100's and 4600's are internally the same shock, just 5100's are chrome finished and longer for the rears. 5100 front struts are adjustable and actually will lift your front end a minimum of .75." You'll need longer shocks in the rear, and stock length in the front hence the mix and match recommendation.

JBA UCA isn't necessary with just OME springs. I'd get the MOOG "Problem Solver" UCA's with the all metal ball joint and zerk fitting.

That should save you a few hundred $$

Hi guys, so i'm about to embark on a lift for my Jeep and I know there are lots of threads out there which I have already scoured but I wanted to ask a few questions specific to my set up and needs.

I was all set to go for the 2" OME HD set up when I saw your post above and @TwoBobsXK post from another thread (below):

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...estions-2.html

[QUOTE=TwoBobsXK;488137]I'm a little late to the conversation but I do have real world experience with OME HD springs and Bilstein shocks on my '06 Hemi...

First, the lift comes from the springs - shocks have little to do with lift or ride height with the exception of shocks like the Bilstein 5100's which have adjustable ride height. On my Hemi, the springs lifted me about 4 inches in the front and around 3 inches in the rear, making my XK perfectly level. The ride is outstanding - much better than the stock ride, very controlled and not at all harsh. The OME springs are progressive, meaning they give you a smooth and controlled ride during normal driving but will absorb and rebound well when pushed hard off road or heavily rutted roads.

I have the 4600 series Bilstein shocks and they work very well with the OME springs. The installation is pretty straightforward, though as noted earlier if the lower clevis bolt is seized in the control arm bushing it becomes a real bear. In my case I was fortunate enough to be able to remove the lower clevis bolt and didn't have to resort to a grinder or sawzall to cut it out. Since my XK had about 110,000 miles on it when I did the project I decided to replace the lower control arms as a unit and lathered up the clevis bushing with anti-seize for ease of removal in the future. The rear shock and spring replacement was easy, but to make it smoother I disconnected the sway bar link so the axle could drop further without hitting the fuel tank. DO NOT attempt to compress and assemble the front shock and spring assemblies! Far too dangerous for portable spring compressors in the garage. I take mine to a local shop where they assemble them for $40 and then I bring it back to them for an alignment once I've done the installation of springs and shocks. They've done the job for me on two Jeeps now and no way I'd try to do that job at home - and I do all my own wrenching.

My Jeep, driving and what I want to achieve:
- Got the 2006 Hemi, 110,000 QDii
- I've got 1.25" spacers
- Extra weight is my family of 5 (3 young kids), Northern Innuit dog and bags (not everyday)
- Pretty much all road driving aside from some tracks nearby to get to areas for dog walks, not for offroading
- I def want to stiffen up the ride as can't stand the bounce I'm currently getting
- I'd like to be able to do is run 265/75/17s on the stock wheels - Tacomaworld suggest that would be 32.65
- I don't want to mess around with new ucas (unless my ball joints are gone when I will probably just go for the Moog problem solvers)
- I don't want to mess up geometry or driveshafts, I want to keep the lift as simple as possible.

My questions are:

1 - is there any reason you would go for Bilstein shocks over the OME shocks when using the OME HD coils?
2 - if I go with OME coils am I best to stick to OME shocks?
3 - do the OME HD springs level the Commander as I see conflicting posts on this with people using spacers still to lift the front?
4 - would going with the OME HD coils and the Bilstein 5100s or 5125s front and back give me more height than just going with OME set up? Or would you go with 4600s at the front
5 - if I'm after the most stable ride on undulating roads and round corners which should I go for?
6 - is there another option I'm not considering (don't want to just use spacers as I really want the better quality (stiffer) ride)
7 - I saw a post on this thread talking about getting a 5" lift with the OME, what is that all about? Is there a safe way of getting more lift out of the OME setup?

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this....

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 AM
Points: 6,648, Level: 53 Points: 6,648, Level: 53 Points: 6,648, Level: 53
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCommanderPayne View Post
1 - is there any reason you would go for Bilstein shocks over the OME shocks when using the OME HD coils?
2 - if I go with OME coils am I best to stick to OME shocks?
3 - do the OME HD springs level the Commander as I see conflicting posts on this with people using spacers still to lift the front?
4 - would going with the OME HD coils and the Bilstein 5100s or 5125s front and back give me more height than just going with OME set up? Or would you go with 4600s at the front
5 - if I'm after the most stable ride on undulating roads and round corners which should I go for?
6 - is there another option I'm not considering (don't want to just use spacers as I really want the better quality (stiffer) ride)
7 - I saw a post on this thread talking about getting a 5" lift with the OME, what is that all about? Is there a safe way of getting more lift out of the OME setup?
1/2. Bilstein shocks are better known, but ultimately they aren't the best choice for OME springs. 4600s aren't designed for a spring lift, and while they'll still do fine up front, they are slightly shorter than OME struts. OME struts are also valved to match their springs and will work better together.

3. OME springs may or may not level the Commander. They didn't for me; I still had a front rake similar to stock.

4. Going with 5100s in the back won't net you any more height, but it will up front. However, it'll probably bring you up too high; I ran OME springs with a 7/8" spacer up front and sat at 23.5" hub to fender. I needed an RC spacer in the rear to level it all out. You also can't go this high without aftermarket UCAs.

5. For the most stable ride, go with OME HD springs and matching shocks. Since they are designed to work together, the damping qualities will be best with that setup.

6. If you're willing to shell out significantly more money, JBA does make coilovers and rear springs, as do smaller companies like CB Engineering and Jeeperf. However, unless you're planning on dune racing or something, those options probably aren't worth the money, and will probably give you a softer ride anyway.

7. The most you can get out of OMEs is around 5" before you start having serious probems. However, you won't get to this point without JBA or RRO UCAs. The stock UCAs will contact the springs at this height, regardless of what ball joints you put in there. The extra height will also put a lot of extra strain on the steering rack and half shafts.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 AM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
[QUOTE=consumedbywater;527441]1/2.

3. OME springs may or may not level the Commander. They didn't for me; I still had a front rake similar to stock.

7. The most you can get out of OMEs is around 5" before you start having serious probems. However, you won't get to this point without JBA or RRO UCAs.

Great, thanks for the concise reply. Regarding these two points.

3 - if it doesn't level it how soon into the build can you tell and what would I have to do? I'm just thinking about time and labour costs (as I will have to have a professional do this with me helping) of then undoing all the work to fit in a spacer.

7 - How are people getting above the 2" lift with the OME kit (I couldn't work this out from the other threads) I wouldn't want to go much higher than 2" and definitely not mess about with affecting the drivetrain etc. but to be able to get some 265/75/17s on would be great, while keeping the great ride that the OME supposedly gives.

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Points: 6,648, Level: 53 Points: 6,648, Level: 53 Points: 6,648, Level: 53
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCommanderPayne View Post
3 - if it doesn't level it how soon into the build can you tell and what would I have to do? I'm just thinking about time and labour costs (as I will have to have a professional do this with me helping) of then undoing all the work to fit in a spacer.

7 - How are people getting above the 2" lift with the OME kit (I couldn't work this out from the other threads) I wouldn't want to go much higher than 2" and definitely not mess about with affecting the drivetrain etc. but to be able to get some 265/75/17s on would be great, while keeping the great ride that the OME supposedly gives.
You won't be able to tell how much lift you'll get from the springs, or whether they'll level the Jeep, until everything is installed and settled. Some people claim to see as much as 3.5" of lift up front level with the rear from just the OME setup, while others like me saw almost exactly 2" front and rear.

After installing, you can try to slightly increase lift by throwing a 3/8" spacer up front and stacking spring seats in the rear. However, you probably won't be able to run 265/75/17s without minor rubbing.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 AM
Points: 326, Level: 6 Points: 326, Level: 6 Points: 326, Level: 6
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

4WD
Current Mileage: 82000Km
Garage
I went with 5100s all around and OME HD springs and my XK sits level. I don't have the third row anymore (so that's some extra weight off the back).
Also, load in the trunk will make it squat even with the HD springs, so take your average load into account.

,======o00o.
/__||_l__l,\___\,___
l_--\__\__l_---[]llllll[]
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in