Anybody familiar with Moog K160050 Front Strut Mount? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Anybody familiar with Moog K160050 Front Strut Mount?

I'd like to purchase the Moog K160050 front strut mount kit in preparation for having my OME kit installed but I can't find a clear answer and have been receiving conflicting information regarding this strut mount kit. I'd like to know if this strut mount kit comes with both the upper and lower spring isolators. Has anybody purchased this and can confirm?

I reached out to the guys at Moogs-Suspension-Parts.com and two reps said that it does contain both the upper and lower isolators but reps at Car ID and Jegs have said that it only includes the upper. The official name of the part is "Front Upper Strut Mount" so that could mean that it only includes the upper isolator. The pictures also only show one of them: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k160050. Just would like to know if I need to order the lower isolators too. I would think that the guys at Moog Suspension Parts would know better than the others but I'm not sure.

The Monroe Strut-Mate kit does include both upper and lower isolators but I would prefer to go with Moog.

Thanks for any info!

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LuvMyCommander; 08-28-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping to order everything together but decided to just order this part for now, that should answer my question. I will post the information and pictures once I receive the order to inform others that might be interested in this part as well.

Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I'm pretty sure it only includes the upper isolator. I ordered the Moog part listed above when I did my lift, but the lift kit I got ended up having a strut mount already, so I didn't use it. For that reason, I can't say with full certainty, but as I remember in opening the box, it was just the upper isolator.

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Cool! Funny story but a sales manager from moog-suspension-parts.com actually sent me an email today apologizing for the mix up but the correct response is that it only comes with the upper isolator. He said they were going to update the website with that information to avoid further confusion and after I checked the link again sure enough it now says that it only contains the upper isolator. I thought it would've been just the upper isolator too.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I purchased the Moog Strut Mount it does include the upper rubber isolator, BUT does NOT include the lower rubber isolator.

Order the lower rubber isolators, its worth the couple extra bucks, I re-used mine and regretted it, one side was fine the other was pretty deformed and squished.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I purchased the Moog Strut Mount it does include the upper rubber isolator, BUT does NOT include the lower rubber isolator.

Order the lower rubber isolators, its worth the couple extra bucks, I re-used mine and regretted it, one side was fine the other was pretty deformed and squished.
Thanks for the confirmation, Mongo. I'm still waiting on the parts to be delivered but I will order the lower isolators too along with the LCA bushings and ball joints. My XK has 83,000 and lifting it at this point will add more stress to the already worn parts so if I'm going to do it I want to do it right.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

My lower control arm bushings and ball joint seemed just fine at 110k miles when changed out my front Shock/Struts. I suppose it can't hurt to change them out early for the lift kit, but it might NOT be necessary.

Ordering the entire lower control arm would be faster and easier, cause you'll get all new bushings and ball joints with it. Plus it will replace the bushing for the shock/strut. If you're going to pay someone to press those bushings/ball joint out of the existing arm for you, overall cost might be cheaper to just get an entire new LCA, that is why they are being sold as entire assembly; although you're paying for a new metal arm that could be re-used, the labor costs in swapping just the bushings/ball joints is more than replacing the metal arm along with it and keep it to a quick unbolt/bolt in job.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Ordering the entire lower control arm would be faster and easier, cause you'll get all new bushings and ball joints with it. Plus it will replace the bushing for the shock/strut. If you're going to pay someone to press those bushings/ball joint out of the existing arm for you, overall cost might be cheaper to just get an entire new LCA, that is why they are being sold as entire assembly; although you're paying for a new metal arm that could be re-used, the labor costs in swapping just the bushings/ball joints is more than replacing the metal arm along with it and keep it to a quick unbolt/bolt in job.
Thanks for the tip! I was actually wondering about that as well, if it would be more cost efficient to simply replace the LCAs. I'll look into that as well.

My thought behind doing that at this point is because I want to keep this Commander long enough so that I can pass it to my son once he starts driving so I'd like to keep maintenance costs at a minimum. I think doing preventative maintenance now would help. He still has 7 more years to go but if I'm going to pay someone now to replace my entire suspension I might as well do the LCAs. Thanks again for the insight.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
If you haven't replaced anything buy the arm. I had replaced the bushing the strut connects to when I did the lift so I decided to just buy the other 2 (4) and ball joint(s). What a PITA! Overall I saved $40-50 each arm but the time saved would have made up for it by far!

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK Lover View Post
If you haven't replaced anything buy the arm. I had replaced the bushing the strut connects to when I did the lift so I decided to just buy the other 2 (4) and ball joint(s). What a PITA! Overall I saved $40-50 each arm but the time saved would have made up for it by far!
Wow. That's what I was thinking too, save time and hopefully money in the long run. Thanks for the feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in