No trying to beat a dead horse... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 714, Level: 14 Points: 714, Level: 14 Points: 714, Level: 14
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

No trying to beat a dead horse...

I know these topics have been discussed exponentially already, and I've read through just about every thread that I've found that's relative and I'm still curious.

I bought a Daystar 2" lift for my XK because my local 4WD shop won't stock RC or RR because they've claimed to have seen too many failures. So I already have the Daystar lift sitting in the garage. I'm getting ready to finally install it in a few weeks, and decided that while I'm at it, I might as well spruce up the entire suspension. In my research, I'm aware that the Daystar kit won't actually level the front of the XK, which IS something I would like to do, so I need to increase the lift in the front, but I'm not exactly sure how much.

I read about the Monroe Load Leveling shocks in the rear and that they give a tiny bit of boost as a side effect, particularly if using the 58643 version and properly fabricating spacers for the mount out of washers.

My big question is on the front. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100 struts, set to the lowest setting (.75), thinking this would bring the front up even, but I also heard some people suggest ditching the front components of the Daystar lift and simply setting the Bilstein's to the highest (2") setting.

I don't plan on using the Jeep for any sort of rock crawling or anything where I will need to articulate over anything. I simply want the added clearance on farm roads and whatnot. Currently, my front center of hub to wheel well is 18" and my rear is 20". I would like to run something like 265 70r17 with a 1-1.25" spacer.

Can someone more knowledgable chime in on this to direct me whether I'm even remotely close to putting something together that will (A) function together cohesively and (B) get me the desired effect I'm looking for (a taller and level XK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

No responses so I'm just going to hack my way through it tomorrow and see what happens. I purchased the longer load leveling Monroe shocks for the rear and I'll add the flat washers to the upper mounts. Also bought bilstein 5100s for the front and I'm going to attempt to install them at the 2 inch setting and avoid anything from the day star kit and see where that gets me. The lack of response on this forum made me instantly miss my old Volkswagen where people were constantly eager to chime in with input. Perhaps I should have bought the jk instead.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I'm a fan of the daystar lift for the reliability aspect of it since you're not actually increasing the range of suspension angles you encounter with it. But no, if you install the whole kit, it doesn't level out the XK. I installed the Daystar kit up front and left the rear stock and ended up level within 1/8". 20" from ground to wheel well at all four corners. Because your front end, like mine, is almost 2" shy of the rear, you really can't safely lift the rear much while also leveling the front, as much over 2" lift in the front starts getting you into problems with other components. The daystar front components plus the .75" setting on the bilsteins would get you closer to level but you'd probably retain a bit of the factory rake.

With this setup, I'm running 245/75R17, which is a 31.5" tire, and with just the tiniest sliver of a rub before wheel spacers, and after 1.5" spacers and slight modification to the splash guards up front, still next to no rub. The 265/70R17 is a 31.6" tire, so we're close and you would be fine if you chose not to lift the rear and opt for the level.

Be careful with those spring compressors if you're doing this all in your garage! I'd also suggest replacing your sway bar bushings while you're in there since it's a common failure point. I've replaced mine twice now in the last 15k miles for clunking. I'm switching back to Mopar rubber for the next set since the clunk just returned so, food for thought.

This is a great forum with plenty of helpful and competent people, but the XK isn't a super popular mod-heavy platform, so we don't have quite the traffic. A lot of times you'll get more/faster response on the jeepforum in the wk/xk section since it's a bigger forum and that section covers the Grand as well. I use both but prefer this place for the more thorough coverage of the XK specifically.

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -

Last edited by Schlotzky; 11-13-2015 at 08:05 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, and my apologies if my last post came off crass. I was just frustrated and took it out via forum text. I was able to get the day star lift in with the bilsteins at the .75" setting. As of right now it's looking pretty level. I picked up a set of 255 75 17s and they're being mounted right now. I trimmed the upper ball joint bolt that looked like it might come close once the tires were in, so hopefully that gives me the clearance I need to run these tires for now on the stock wheels. I didn't order any spacers yet because I want to see how everything comes together first. Is that going to be an issue? The shop also told me that they may not be able to align it properly on their rack due to the lift, but that they would let me know. I did order new sway bar bushings but it's pouring today so I figure I'll put the in this weekend. Did the end links and so far the truck was tracking straight so hopefully the alignment doesn't require a ton of adjustment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

My tire shop didn't have any issues aligning mine. In fact, they said they only had to make minimal adjustments to get it in spec. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with alignment, so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

With a 255, depending on the tire, you should be pretty good with the upper ball joint stud as it's really additional width that starts getting you really close. I have almost an inch to the factory stud on my 245/75R17s. The spacers are really mostly for looks or clearance to said bolt, and actually make rub significantly worse. You may get away with no rub at all on that tire size depending on the specific tire, but you'll definitely need to do some light trimming and/or modifications to the splash guards to get rid of the rubbing you'll induce on full lock with the spacers. My 1.5" spidertrax put the tires flush with the fenders which looks great, but pushed the tires into the splash guards on lock where there was none without spacers.

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in