OME HD lift question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Ome lift help

Okay guys, I need some help here. I've been wanting to lift the commander for a while now, and with all the researching on different lift and components, prices and reviews, I've decided on OME. Because the reviews, and pricing. I originally wanted the super lift but it's just so expensive. here is the link to what I'm eyeballing.

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-lift-kit.html

So the first option is. 2.25" lift scroll to bottom of link. Lift with shocks, but is recommend to upgrade struts. Which they have some designed to complement the lift better than stock. (Second option)
I will definitely do, but it just says front strut. Will the rear be fine if I choose to upgrade this option? Would I need to do anything to it or does the lift cover this already? And also info/opinions on the choices they have. OME or GR2 HD?

They also offer upgraded control arms which I would like to install as well, but was wondering if I can do the lift and everything and run stock arms until I can save up more money for them?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Also if anyone had this same setup, let me know how you like it. Ride, stiffness, control, etc. and what wheel sizes you're running. Also if you had to do a pinch weld still? Also post pictures if you have this lift. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
The 2.25" lift is not OME, it is a spacer lift. You can install it with shock/struts you already have or install new ones while you have them out. OME is a lift that uses coils to lift the XK. Here is the link to the OME lift on their page:
http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-ome.html . There are other sites that also sell the OME.

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayyabanha View Post
Okay guys, I need some help here. I've been wanting to lift the commander for a while now, and with all the researching on different lift and components, prices and reviews, I've decided on OME. Because the reviews, and pricing. I originally wanted the super lift but it's just so expensive. here is the link to what I'm eyeballing.

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-lift-kit.html

So the first option is. 2.25" lift scroll to bottom of link. Lift with shocks, but is recommend to upgrade struts. Which they have some designed to complement the lift better than stock. (Second option)
I will definitely do, but it just says front strut. Will the rear be fine if I choose to upgrade this option? Would I need to do anything to it or does the lift cover this already? And also info/opinions on the choices they have. OME or GR2 HD?

They also offer upgraded control arms which I would like to install as well, but was wondering if I can do the lift and everything and run stock arms until I can save up more money for them?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Also if anyone had this same setup, let me know how you like it. Ride, stiffness, control, etc. and what wheel sizes you're running. Also if you had to do a pinch weld still? Also post pictures if you have this lift. Thanks guys!
GR2 front struts are low quality KYB shocks AFAIK. OME is probably one of the few twin tube shocks I would even consider. IMHO if your replacing shocks atleast get some monotubes. Bilstein makes excellent shocks and I highly recommend them for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK Lover View Post
The 2.25" lift is not OME, it is a spacer lift. You can install it with shock/struts you already have or install new ones while you have them out. OME is a lift that uses coils to lift the XK. Here is the link to the OME lift on their page:
http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-ome.html . There are other sites that also sell the OME.
Nailed it.

Now, instead of the spacer lift I would suggest that you consider Rusty's as they are on sale right now.

Rustys front and rear coils ~$140 shipped

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...pring-spacers/

You should definitely consider replacing your rear shocks atleast. I'd consider these longer shocks:

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/33-225807/293460/4WD

Your front shocks are likely worn, and bilstein 4600 front shocks for stock replacement will work perfectly with this lift. (no longer shocks needed in the front due to IFS.)

You can have a shop press in MOOG adjustable HD Upper ball joints for you if you are paying someone to install the lift. Shouldn't cost much more. Don't try to press em by hand though.. I had no luck.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=461&jpid=12

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 10-12-2015 at 01:08 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered the OME setup. So coils shocks etc. also went ahead and got some new ucas. Should this be everything I need to run my new 265/70/17 and 1.5 spacers? Or is there something I'm forgetting that would be safe to upgrade or replace? Mainly city driving. Off-road every now and then.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Depending on your mileage there are a few other components you might want to consider. I recently went with the same set up, though slightly smaller tires, and since my XK has 85k miles I also replaced the lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, and replaced all 8 coil isolators. All these parts aren't expensive but if you or someone is going to do the work of replacing the suspension it'll be pretty simple to replace these parts while you're at it.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks luv! Yes I'll be replacing the ucas I'm not sure but I hope everything else is in good shape. Watched a video on YouTube of a guy installing the lift, he recommended replacing some of the bolts and nuts that are factory with new ones since some are self locking. Is this necessary? Or do most people just use all same factory hardware ?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

OME HD lift question

Okay guys I have posted this question on xk and modified xk group on Facebook but no one will answer. My question is can I put this lift on without replacing the Factory bolts and nuts? The video attached is a great step by step walk through video, but he recommends to replace these factory hardware. I understand it is recommend but is is 100% necessary? I've had the lift sitting and dying to put it on, but am wondering if I need to order these replacements or can I still use factory and be fine? He listed a parts number list for these bolts and nuts but I can't get them to come up. Please help! I'm dying to get this lift on!

http://youtu.be/sIJC3VYYmqw
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Here is the parts number list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1446003881018.jpg (12.5 KB, 48 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:35 AM

I had the same lift installed and reused the nuts and bolts. I was more concerned about replacing other parts as preventative maintenance while getting this installed.

Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayyabanha View Post
Thanks luv! Yes I'll be replacing the ucas I'm not sure but I hope everything else is in good shape. Watched a video on YouTube of a guy installing the lift, he recommended replacing some of the bolts and nuts that are factory with new ones since some are self locking. Is this necessary? Or do most people just use all same factory hardware ?
I haven't read of anyone else replacing the nuts and bolts. I know I didn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in