Beef up the rear suspension??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28 Points: 2,223, Level: 28
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Beef up the rear suspension???

Hey folks. I need some advice from someone who knows... What's the best way to beef up the rear suspension on my 06 Commander? 'Don't want to jack it up, but need to prevent the sag when I hook up our 22' camping trailer. Anyone been there, done that?
Thanks in advance.
Mackle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28 Points: 2,173, Level: 28
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Weight distributing hitch with the correct bars for the weight.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

First thing that popped to mind- if you don't have a Hemi get yourself some rear springs from a Commander Limited with a Hemi, they're stiffer and will sag less. Obviously shocks could also help but I'll let others that are more experienced with the load shocks chime in.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Points: 4,329, Level: 41 Points: 4,329, Level: 41 Points: 4,329, Level: 41
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I use the air bags that go inside the spring. The kit is cheap, I think it was $100 canadian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 Limited 5.7 HEMI QD2
4xGuard Belly Guard
k&n intake
Magnaflow catback
Kicker Speaker Upgrade
2" RC lift
Bilstein front shocks
F150 rear load levelers
Rola roof rack
255/75/17 BF Goodrich M/T KM
Spidertrax 1.25 spacers
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 PM
quickster2

Monroe 58646 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber. New sway bar bushings and end links. If that is not enough look at spring air bags as suggested or something from Timbrin or SuperSprings.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all.
I do use the weight distribution hitch.
Didn't know the 4.7 had less rear spring that the hemi. I'll look into that.
and, at this point I think I'll go with air bags.
Thanks again,
Mackle - Kure Beach, NC
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I think the tow package is the one that had the higher rate rear springs, NOT necessarily the Hemi. Confirm it as you look into it. Also check the Front Spring Rate, for proper and "SAFE" handling, you need the proper balance front/rear of spring rates, so if your swapping springs in the rear to a higher rate, you want to swap the front to the springs that came with those rear springs.

Of course the vehicles have Stability Control now, so arguably that would keep you safe instead of proper front/rear spring balance.

And keep in mind, I don't think there is that big of difference in spring rates, so if you're sagging a lot now, it will likely only help a little bit, might want to investigate the aftermarket solutions that address sag particularly.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Mongo. The sag is not too bad, but I'm wanting it to be level, and trying my best to avoid trading vehicles. Other camper folks want me to get a pick-up, but they don't understand how much i love the Commander. Towed over 3000 miles last winter without a problem. Just seeking continual improvement.
Thanks again,
Mackle
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:53 AM

What little I read, there is very little difference between the spring rates, if anything the tow package "beefing up" was for better roll rate and handling when towing, NOT counteracting sag from the tongue weight. BUT, I could be wrong.

A lot of Chrysler Vehicles had an option for "Load Leveling" Shocks, NOT sure if they came with the Commander, they were an option on the Mini-Vans. I think they are sold aftermarket as well.

Load Leveler shocks have extra equipment internally, valving that uses the pumping action of the shock, if the shock is compressed below the reference height, to increase pressure and extend it back to its reference height. I.E. if you load up the back of the vehicle and the back end sags, after a mile or two of driving the shocks pump up to return it back to stock ride height.

Its kinda like an air shock, except automatic and you don't have to add air to get it back to stock ride height. Of course, unlike air shocks that can be used to adjust to any custom height, the load levelers have one height only. If they weren't available OEM over the dealer counter, I think they are available aftermarket.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 AM

I did a quick google search, all I found for load leveling shocks were these Monroe shocks that really are just springs over the shock to add some more spring rate to the suspension.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...646_0484373103

What I was thinking about was the ZF Nivomat shocks, if they weren't on the Commander they may have been on another Jeep with similar shock.

The advantage of a load leveling shock is if they are adjustable, you'll can adjust them to get your desired ride height, if you go with a spring with just a slightly higher spring rate, you may find unloaded ride height is undesirable or it only improves the rear sag a 1/4".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Tags
rear shocks replacement , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in