Stock ride height coil springs? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 AM
quickster2

Stock ride height coil springs?

I want to maintain the stock ride height for now. Is there a recommended replacement coil spring vs. OEM? I have new struts, shocks, bushings, etc., not satisfied with the initial "bounce" of the suspension. I have 98K on a 2008 Hemi Limited QDII.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

What exactly are you looking to do?

2007 Red Rock Crystal Pearl Overland
- 2" Daystar lift - 245/75/17 Revo 2s - 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers -
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
quickster2

Stock ride height more taut suspension.

I want to stiffen up the suspension. When going into a dip or undulation I am not happy with the dip in the front to back end. Side to side I am good with all of the bushing work, end links, etc.. I have new struts and shocks the only thing I did not change was the coils.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
which struts and shocks are you running?

I'll beg MOOG has OEM replacement springs. Most people just go up to OME springs when looking to replace them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 AM
quickster2

I have new Monroe Reflex Struts # 71377 on the front & new Monroe Load Adjusting (coil on shock) 58646 on the rear. All new sway bar bushings & end links front & rear. The issue is going over a speed bump or undulation the pitching front to rear is excessive in my opinion. Side to side or in turns is good.

Moog does not carry the coils. They sent me to coil spring.com whom I've talked to. They don't have the spring rates for both sides of the coils. The Commander coils are different left & right.

Thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

What brand/model shocks/struts did you install?

Its hard to describe suspension reaction, and spring and shock does interact to affect all reactions, but dissatisfaction with the "bounce" of the suspension sounds more like the shock to me (based off the limited description you've given us).

Coil Springs, especially the quality they are using today, will last many millions of cycles, they likely will still be performing like new when the vehicle is sent to the junkyard. Of course extreme off-roading, hitting an extreme pot-hole or towing an extreme overload (or poorly distributed load) could damage a spring.

So, unless you've suffered damage to the springs, I can't imagine the ride or initial "bounce" being any different than OEM, because of the springs. I'd be looking at different parts of the suspension, including tires, or the shocks. You would NOT be the first person to get new shocks that didn't perform as well as OEM shocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 05:34 AM
quickster2

I have new Monroe Reflex Struts # 71377 on the front & new Monroe Load Adjusting (coil on shock) 58646 on the rear. All new sway bar bushings & end links front & rear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 135000
This may not go well with the purists.... BUT, if you want to maintain a competent ride height for such things as snow, but don't require the articulation for navigating off-road, AND you're sick of the "bounce," try this....

H&K lowering springs with the 5100 Bilsteins at each corner with the fronts in top position and a 2" lift kit in the rear. You will be very happy. I recently did this, and could not be happier. Complete transformation to a much more stable ride. It is not too stiff, the ride is nearly level with perhaps 1/2" lift in the front. A very mild front rake is all that remains. Pitch and roll are so much better, as is nose diving with braking. I would take the time to replace your lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links (the moog parts are working well for me).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 135000
PS... Soak the bolts for several days and get your hands on a big cheater pipe if you don't have an impact. They will come loose without heat and beating with careful technique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in