Overwhelmed With Front Strut Info - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
TMT
Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Overwhelmed With Front Strut Info

Hey all,

I have been overwhelmed with all of the info on front strut replacement, the information is everywhere and a bit confusing, so let me apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked many, many times.

I had a front strut leak around 35,000 miles and need to get it replaced. (I have been procrastinating). I had one of the front end links start clunking last year and I replaced those with no problems. I definitely need to get the front struts replaced.

Anyway, I have read about replacing strut mounts and rubbers, etc., when doing the struts. As I have not torn down the front end like some of you and am unfamiliar with everything I am looking for, what should be replaced when doing the front struts?

I also found a great thread with step-by-step instructions and pictures on replacing the struts but cannot find that thread again. I have been hitting, (literally with a hammer), the lower bolts and spraying them with PB Blaster for a couple of weeks.

I know I am asking a lot but thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

The vehicles is a 2007 Sport with a 4.7 and about 40,000 miles.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Are you asking how to get the lower bolts out? Put a jack under the LCA and raise it just a tad to get the tension off the bolts.

2007 Jeep Commander Overland - Steel Blue
5.7L Hemi + QDII
4" SuperLift
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
TMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT View Post
As I have not torn down the front end like some of you and am unfamiliar with everything I am looking for, what should be replaced when doing the front struts?

I also found a great thread with step-by-step instructions and pictures on replacing the struts but cannot find that thread again.
Thanks, but no, not at all. I am asking what parts are required besides the struts themselves as in my original post above.

Thanks.

And thank you for the tip on using the jack on the LCA.

Marty

Marty

Last edited by TMT; 03-01-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add info

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The other parts with the Shock/Strut that wear out and should be replaced with it. The upper strut mount and maybe the upper and lower spring cushions (rubber discs the spring rest on).

Definitely do the upper strut mounts with the shock/strut, debatable whether those little cushions need to be replaced, but they often do squish and deform. Most upper strut mounts will come with the upper cushion and the lower cushion only costs like $7 a piece.

The rest should come apart and go back together without breakage. Except that LCA thru bolt. Any thing other than the upper strut mount and spring cushions are just as easy to replace before and after the job, so no need to replace while you're doing this job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
TMT

Thank you and a PM sent, Mongo.

Marty
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
TMT

Weather was good so I decided to tackle the struts and rear shocks today, as well as some new discs and pads.

Thank for the tips and help, everything went just fine and the lower strut fork bolts came right out. (I had been treating with PB Blaster and hitting them for about a month).

Next comes an alignment.

Marty
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Points: 6,560, Level: 53 Points: 6,560, Level: 53 Points: 6,560, Level: 53
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 114000
did you get a chance to find the directions on how to replace the shocks/struts?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Doing an alignment for a strut change?

Well, having alignment checked or alignment done for anything you suspect might have it out, certainly doesn't hurt, so I won't recommend against it. As well, wear or rough use can put an existing alignment out, needing a realignment without removing and replacing any suspension pieces.

But, you don't need an alignment for any or every suspension piece replacement or maintenance.

It depends if the work done altered the adjustments, or changed the suspension geometry in a way to change the alignment.

On MacPherson Strut Suspension cars, that the strut acts as the upper control arm of the suspension, replacing the strut without a doubt requires an alignment.

The Commander and many others are NOT true MacPherson Strut Suspensions, arguably we are using the wrong term when we call the Commanders front shock that is a spring over shock configuration, a "Strut". Just as much argument its a valid term as well.

On the Commander, you can replace the shocks front/rear without needing an alignment, unless you replace additional pieces that would affect the alignment adjustments or suspension geometry. Sure, the front suspension could sag a bit and new struts with new strut mounts can bring it back up to original ride height. If the alignment was done at the original ride height, then bring it back just brings it back to the original alignment.

Lift kits, especially on IFS will change the suspension geometry and almost always require an alignment done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in