Jeep Commander Forum banner

Front Suspension help - over 22.5"

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wingdog 
#1 ·
I installed an 2.5" lift on my Jeep Commander. It raided the height of the front by 3", before the lift I had 18.5" from hub to fender, after lift I had 21.5". The issue I have is when I drive the vehicle the front of the commander raises to 24" from hub to center which is over the 22.5" safety height.

I have Bilstein struts in the front, is this self raising depending on road conditions. How can I correct this? What front trusts could install to correct this, recommendations?

Thank you for you help.

#4 ·
????? So when you drive the front end comes up another 2.5" than from when its resting???

First, how did you measure this if the vehicle is moving?

I can see weight shift while your accelerating causing the front end to come up, but you can't be accelerating constantly while you drive? What exactly is going on that makes the front come up 2.5" than when its still?

And finally where does this 22.5" safety limit come from? Is it a state law or something? The law really says no vehicle will have more than 22.5" distance from hub to fender lip?

#5 ·
The 22.5 is not a state law, from what I have read on this forum one should not go over that height with a spacer lift, I found several post then mentioned the hub to fender should not be more than 22.5". If one does go over this height you start running into angle issue, CV issues.

What is the highest/biggest spacer lift one can put on a commander. I wonder if my lift is too big and that is why I'm running into issues?

I think its getting hangup on the shock. I thinking the upper control arm is pushing on the strut.

I installed an 2.5" lift on my Jeep Commander. It raised the height of the front by 3", before the lift I had 18.5" from hub to fender, after lift I had 21.5". The issue I have is when I drive the vehicle the front of the commander raises to 24" from and then will take a day to settle down back to 21.5" I think its getting hangup on the shock. I thinking the upper control arm is pushing on the strut.

I have Bilstein struts in the front, is this self raising depending on road conditions. How can I correct this? What front trusts could install to correct this, recommendations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.