Rough Country 2" lift, lateral noise. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PickleSlice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rough Country 2" lift, lateral noise.

Hello all, new Commander owner, but not new to vehicles. I've done some searching but I don't see any threads about my particular issue. I have an 06 Commander with a 2" Rough Country lift installed by the PO. It has a clunking noise that comes from lateral movement. A good example is pulling into a driveway at an angle and the Jeep starts rocking left and right as it settles. I've crawled under and everything appears tight, but I did notice the driverside rear spring appears to be installed incorrectly. It's my understanding the the end of the coil is meant to point forwards correct(I hope that makes sense)? Would this cause clunking?

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L, Rough Country 2.5" Lift, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, DiabloSport i1000, Stock Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

In case anyone ever searches this issue, the problem was the track bar. Replaced it and it is good to go. Probably need to buy a adjustable one since the my axle looks to be off around an inch.
RedLeg827 likes this.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L, Rough Country 2.5" Lift, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, DiabloSport i1000, Stock Wheels and Tires
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,044, Level: 94 Points: 24,044, Level: 94 Points: 24,044, Level: 94
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I have the 2 inch rough country lift kit as well and I also had it in my previous vehicle which was a 2008 Grand Cherokee.

Both Grand Cherokees & Commanders seem to have the common problem of the front upper differential bushing wearing quicker than the rest of the suspension components.

With the 2 inch rough country lift kit installed, if the front upper differential bushing is worn, you will have some slop along with some miscellaneous creeking when turning/cornering.

Obviously that wasn't your issue, but, it is another potential source of suspension creeking/noise with a lift kit installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-17-2016 at 06:30 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Latteral motion, is cornering, shifting side to side. It almost sounds like you're talking about rocking, or rolling, side to side as you drive up an incline, one wheel before the other.

The rear suspension is a 5 link, 4 links and a panhard rod. Also called a track bar.

So there are 3 possibilities:
The Track Bar, which seems to be your problem.
The Front Diff mounting bushings, a common one.
The Sway Bar mounting bushings, another common one.

The track bar is non-adjustable, and it is set at length that will center the axle at stock ride height. Since you've raised the stock ride height, that has pulled the axle off its center slightly. Yes, an adjustable track bar would allow you to change the length and re-center the axle at the new ride height. Most good lift kits will come with an adjustable or proper length track bar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in