full lift vs. spacer kit. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,574, Level: 37 Points: 3,574, Level: 37 Points: 3,574, Level: 37
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 112k
Garage
full lift vs. spacer kit.

I have been sifting through the suspension/ lift threads and cant really decide which direction to head next on my commander.
I will start by qualifying and give you guys my aim...
I'm not building an off-road play car. This vehicle is my daily driver, I have 2 carseats in the back on standby(haha, cant believe I put that out in the open) it is, however more than just a grocery grabber. I am an outdoorsman, I hunt and fish avidly. With that being said, I'm looking for a little performance, and to take the annoying stock appearance and have a semi beefy looking stature to the truck.
I had to talk my wife into -no easy task, seeing as how I hydrolocked my dodge ram "off-roading"- getting the DayStar 2'' comfort ride spacer lift. I told her I needed it "so that we weren't just wasting the tires off of the dodge, and needed the lift to put them on the jeep" not a lie, it just sold the project.

Now, question is: does anyone know if that spacer lift comes out of the box as the only solution? or does a leveling kit need to be added?

2) From what I have read, if I don't plan on doing any technical trail riding and don't have any real intense need to have maximum range of motion for the struts, are replacement struts necessary?

I'm trying to keep the project in the $200 range, I have all the tools and do this kind of crap on my own(drives the wife nuts). Is it doable or do I need to invest in more parts/more than 2" or full suspension lift....?

much obliged.

..:Snow man:..

Join or Die

...my advice to you when war comes: draw your sword, and throw away the scabbard.
~T.J. Jackson, VMI, 1860
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

It really depends on the mileage of your Commander too. If you have relatively low miles then you might be good with just throwing on a spacer lift and call it a day. Most members around here are running with the Rough Country spacer lifts. If your mileage is somewhat high and if you're going to go through the process of removing the suspension then you might as well replace what's in your budget or what you think needs attention sooner rather than later. Some common components to replace while you're doing such work are the upper control arms (which includes the upper ball joints and upper control arm bushings), shocks/struts, spring isolators, and sway bar bushings. Other components to consider and not as common are lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings, tie rod end links, and bump stops. I believe I covered most of them but like I said, I think a lot of what really "needs" to be replaced all depends on your mileage. You can add a 2" lift from Rough Country for under $200 and call it a day but what will need replacement soon after with the added stress on the suspension parts? Good luck!

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
thanks Luv,
I only have 84K miles on my truck. everything is tip top underneath, bushings all look to be relatively new, or just really well maintained.
the nagging question still is if and when I settle for the spacer lift... will I still need the leveling kit too.

I'll just enjoy my coffee and wait....

Join or Die

...my advice to you when war comes: draw your sword, and throw away the scabbard.
~T.J. Jackson, VMI, 1860

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Sorry, forgot to add that the Rough Country spacer lift will level the Commander. It actually does a better job at leveling it than my current Old Man Emu full suspension lift. I've used the Rough Country spacer lift on my old XK and kept the same shocks and struts and the ride was still smooth. However, I eventually replaced my upper control arms with the Jeepin by Al UCAs and it helped with the angle of the upper ball join with the RC lift.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
good looking out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
Sorry, forgot to add that the Rough Country spacer lift will level the Commander. It actually does a better job at leveling it than my current Old Man Emu full suspension lift. I've used the Rough Country spacer lift on my old XK and kept the same shocks and struts and the ride was still smooth. However, I eventually replaced my upper control arms with the Jeepin by Al UCAs and it helped with the angle of the upper ball join with the RC lift.
Looks like a good bargain. In comparison though, the DayStar comfort ride spacer lift comes with all four corners, and includes sway bar modification brackets, designed to increase/return to factory characteristics range of motion and stability provided by the original factory equipment.
but hahah, still cant find anyone or the information that provides me with the answer of whether or not the DayStar lift requires further leveling.... Just guess I need to do the old fashioned thing and just call the manufacturer and ask.

Join or Die

~T.J. Jackson, VMI, 1860
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in