Tire rub / lift - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,456, Level: 36 Points: 3,456, Level: 36 Points: 3,456, Level: 36
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 165,000
Tire rub / lift

So I just got a set of pathfinder ATs that are 245x70x17 and i have some rub on the fenders, interestingly more when turning to the left.

To remedy this I was thinking about getting OME medium springs and I have some questions. Currently the front is about 2" lower than the rear.
I have a v6, would medium springs(2990) be a good fit?
I want it level, would only installing front springs be okay?

Thanks!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

What do you have in the rear that makes a 2" difference front and rear?

I would think it would be smarter to do the same type of lift front and rear, and NOT a mismatch. i.e. longer springs in the front and blocks in the rear. But granted, as long as you're NOT pushing the limits on the suspension and the lift is mild, like 2" or less, I'd think you'd be ok.

Stock, the Commander had a little more wheels pace in the rear than the front, that does give it a bit of a raked forward look. I don't think it was 2", more like an 1". The front spring pads and strut mount, as they wear, might make the front sag a bit, making the forward rake look more pronounced. Fresh spring pads and strut mounts raised it back up for me, but there is still the stock forward rake look.

The Blistein 5100 shocks have adjustable spring perches, and the lowest setting still raises the front up 3/4" to make the stock suspension look level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

4WD
It is a stock 2007 base model V6, doesn't even have a hitch
I'm told the rear is higher for towing, but the stock front springs look like maybe they have sagged(worn pads like you said) or a bit short/soft stock. I measured with a ruler but I feel I was able to get a fairly accurate measurement.
I was planning on only installing the springs in the front and leaving the rear as is and hope it is close to level.

Thanks for the quick response!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

The rear is a solid axle with more wheel travel than the front independent suspension, that is why the wheel tubs in the body are higher, NOT only for more wheel travel of the rear suspension, but also since the axle can tilt and drive higher wheel up even higher.

Look at the rocker panel between the wheels, with a fresh spring pads and strut mounts, parked on level ground, you will see the rocker panel line is parallel with the deck, even if the top of the wheel tubs make it look like it rakes forward.

I would measure first, and make sure you really have a 2" difference, I really think if you get 2" front springs, you'll be riding high in the front, especially if you do swap in new pads and strut mounts when you change the springs (which you should). Its NOT going to look good and might handle rather poorly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Those are concerns I had which prompted my posting here. In interest of solving the rubbing problem I'll be doing the front soon as possible. I already told my buddy I have lined up for this if it doesn't look right we'll be doing the rear next.

Curious if anyone else did only the front OME springs?

Thanks
Jason
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Where is it rubbing specifically?

The pinchweld mod is likely all you need.

I ran bilsteins 5100's on the front @ 1.5" lift and simply stacked a few spring isolators in the rear (Cheap @ rockauto!) for about .75" lift for awhile.

I would go with OME MD springs with the v6. OME HD will be noticably stiffer and sit a bit higher.

Just OME springs front and nothing in the rear would look nose high IMHO.

I would not have liked the bilsteins @ 1.5" with nothing in the rear. OME MD will lift the front more than that for certain in your case.

If you do new springs, definitely replace the shocks. They will be worn out by now and you have to completely disassemble the front to get the springs replaced anyways.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 05-31-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I'm not sure what the pinchweld mod is? Haven't looked that up yet.
I considered the bilstein's but it had new shocks a couple years ago, the stock springs look really pathetic so decided on the OME springs, a front set of mediums are on their way here . Attached a photo of a rub area, which is my main concern to fix right now, and ultimately would like it level or close to level.
If it is crazy nose high afterwards I'll have to order up a set of rear springs or maybe consider just a spacer in the rear? I measured again in front of the garage and it came out with an inch and a half of height difference, when i measured in the garage lastnight i'm fairly certain there was 2" of difference.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rub.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	19681  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse46 View Post
I considered the bilstein's but it had new shocks a couple years ago, the stock springs look really pathetic so decided on the OME springs, a front set of mediums are on their way here . Attached a photo of a rub area, which is my main concern to fix right now, and ultimately would like it level or close to level.
If it is crazy nose high afterwards I'll have to order up a set of rear springs or maybe consider just a spacer in the rear? I measured again in front of the garage and it came out with an inch and a half of height difference, when i measured in the garage lastnight i'm fairly certain there was 2" of difference.

Jason
How are you measuring?

For me from axle to fenderlip I was seeing about 1-1.5" difference front to rear in stock form IIRC.

What is your measurement from center of wheel to fenderlip in the front?

Anywho that is much closer than I would expect from 245/70r17's. IIRC We have members running 245/75r17's with little to no rub.

I'm betting that your rubber spring isolators are worn out and that your springs may be on their way out if you measure less than 18.5" from axle to fenderlip.

Who is installing your new springs?

Also if that is where you rub then pinchweld will not fix your rubbing.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 05-31-2016 at 05:39 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

4WD
I was measuring from a ridge on the tire to a crease on the fender. I'll see if I can get a measurement from axle center to fender lip
Those are pathfinder all terrains, they do seem to have thick tread. Can't see in the picture, but I have black rock wheels that probably have an inch or 2 of offset.
A buddy and I are going to install the springs, I got a set of OME mediums, I'm planning on picking up new isolators also.

Thanks
Jason
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse46 View Post
There is a pinchweld in the front wheel wells, its near the rear of the wheel well, that is like a seam of metal that extends out into the wheel well.

If the larger tires rub on that pinch weld, the seam sticking into the wheel well, you can use a dremel and hammer to make a few cuts and pound it down, folding it over, to lay flat on the surface of the wheel well and get another inch or so, so tires don't rub.

BUT, the tires could be rubbing from somewhere else.

As well, you could use wheel spacers, depending on where its rubbing, moving the tires out a 1/2"-1" won't effect much and might give you the room to prevent rubbing.

There was a thread on here, where someone collected info from posts and had a whole lists of tires and sizes and if they rub or not and how to get the clearance, whether that be wheel spacers, lifts or the pinch weld mod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in