OME shock replacement options. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mongo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,118, Level: 40 Points: 4,118, Level: 40 Points: 4,118, Level: 40
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OME shock replacement options.

Hi,
About 50,000 miles ago, I installed a complete OME Old EMU HD kit with 265's.
I don't do much off-road. I installed the kit to get to my farmhouse without snow-plowing first.

Now, the ride is very harsh. Every little crack in the pavement is met with a clunk. I hate it !

Keeping the OME HD springs, I'm craving for a somewhat mellower ride.

What shocks are proven road friendly replacements for the OME ones ?

Dominik
Montreal.

Dominik alias Walterkilo
Green Giant: 2007 Commander Limited, Hemi, complete Old EMU 2"HD lift kit front and rear. 1,5" spacers, 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Bilsteins would be a good option. 5100s in the rear and 4600s in the front. What is making the clunking noise?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94 Points: 23,935, Level: 94
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterkilo View Post
What shocks are proven road friendly replacements for the OME ones ?

Dominik
Montreal.
I had Bilstein 4600 Shocks and Struts installed to replace the OEM shocks & struts and they have been great.

You can see pics of what they look like installed here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...l-springs.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-11-2016 at 06:20 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,118, Level: 40 Points: 4,118, Level: 40 Points: 4,118, Level: 40
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Bilsteins would be a good option. 5100s in the rear and 4600s in the front. What is making the clunking noise?
Luckyse7ens,

I do not know what is making this clunking noise. A friend of mine riding in the back told me he thought the noise was coming from the back...

Anyhow, I believe the OME shocks are goners. I have a set of new Al's UCA ready to install and will also replace that front wheel (or front differential) bearing that sings at the slightest left turn.

Will Blisteins fit the OME coils up front ?

If so, I will go with 4600s up-front and 5100s at the rear. I suppose that 5100s will be helpful while towing...

Dominik
Montreal.

Dominik alias Walterkilo
Green Giant: 2007 Commander Limited, Hemi, complete Old EMU 2"HD lift kit front and rear. 1,5" spacers, 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:36 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterkilo View Post
Luckyse7ens,

I do not know what is making this clunking noise. A friend of mine riding in the back told me he thought the noise was coming from the back...

Anyhow, I believe the OME shocks are goners. I have a set of new Al's UCA ready to install and will also replace that front wheel (or front differential) bearing that sings at the slightest left turn.

Will Blisteins fit the OME coils up front ?

If so, I will go with 4600s up-front and 5100s at the rear. I suppose that 5100s will be helpful while towing...

Dominik
Montreal.
4600s and 5100s are valved the same. Same internals. 5100 series is simply longer in the rear. Works perfectly for a ~2" lift.

5100 front shocks have adjustable spring perches that are capable of raising the front .75" - 1.5" - 2". If you want to stay current height youll need 4600's in the front, as 5100s will lift an additional .75" at a minimum. Since you are installing Als UCA you COULD probably use those @ .75" if you so choose. Anything more than that would likely result in steering rack and CV damage. 4600's work fine in the front with OME springs as you really don't gain any additional travel due to the IFS.

When you installed the OME kit did you trim your gas tank skid? The skid gets in the way of full droop on the drivers side.

Just an FYI I have 5100's front and 5125's rear (even longer than the 5100's 26" extended IIRC). My fronts are set @ 2" lift with stock springs (and rustys strut spacer for another .5"), I have Rustys Off Road rear springs and 2 additional coil isolators for around 2-3" lift IIRC.

Bilsteins take a bit to break in, seem a little stiff at first but they really ride great now.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 06-16-2016 at 03:21 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Common clunks in the Commander, at least from what I've seen posted.

Sway Bar bushings and end links.
Upper Control Arm damage.
Tie-Rods and Steering Rack mount bolts loosening, especially when lifted.
Rear Axle Control arm bushings wear out (upper and lower, NOT the panhard rod/track bar). The sound comes from the under or behind the rear seats.

Lifting the vehicle will stress those things more, perhaps NOT the Sway Bar, but the others definitely.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Common clunks in the Commander, at least from what I've seen posted.

Sway Bar bushings and end links.
Upper Control Arm damage.
Tie-Rods and Steering Rack mount bolts loosening, especially when lifted.
Rear Axle Control arm bushings wear out (upper and lower, NOT the panhard rod/track bar). The sound comes from the under or behind the rear seats.

Lifting the vehicle will stress those things more, perhaps NOT the Sway Bar, but the others definitely.
Wanted to add to this that I had a pop. Turned out to be alignment bolts not proerply torqued down by the alignment shop. Could feel this one @ your feet as much as hear it. Doubt this is OP's issue, but couldn't hurt.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 06-16-2016 at 03:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

OH, I should mention, the vehicle ride is a combination of spring rate and damping from the shock absorbers.

So just a softer shock might NOT produce the effect you're hoping for.

But, at the same time, many vehicle are often "Over Damped" a damp rate higher than the spring rate requires to provide a firm feel to the ride and better handling by almost creating virtual increased spring rate. So it might give the results you're looking for.

The OME shocks might have just blown out very quickly, cause they're poor quality, i.e. under damped, and that might be why you get adverse reactions to every bump in the road. So it might just be new shocks you need.

Now that I've thoroughly contradicted myself, my point is, I'd probably try the same thing myself, just be prepared that a new set of shocks might NOT fix your problem, it just might be the springs are NOT the right spring rate for the conditions you drive in.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:14 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
OH, I should mention, the vehicle ride is a combination of spring rate and damping from the shock absorbers.

So just a softer shock might NOT produce the effect you're hoping for.

But, at the same time, many vehicle are often "Over Damped" a damp rate higher than the spring rate requires to provide a firm feel to the ride and better handling by almost creating virtual increased spring rate. So it might give the results you're looking for.

The OME shocks might have just blown out very quickly, cause they're poor quality, i.e. under damped, and that might be why you get adverse reactions to every bump in the road. So it might just be new shocks you need.

Now that I've thoroughly contradicted myself, my point is, I'd probably try the same thing myself, just be prepared that a new set of shocks might NOT fix your problem, it just might be the springs are NOT the right spring rate for the conditions you drive in.
I'd be terribly surprised if the spring rate was too high or something, particularly if this is an issue that has really only showed up recently. Still a good point to bring up of course.

If it was a v6 with no accessories then I could see that as a possibility though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in