I want a lift, but don't know where to start... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 180, Level: 3 Points: 180, Level: 3 Points: 180, Level: 3
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I want a lift, but don't know where to start...

Hi all, newbie here. I have owned Jeeps wrangler before, but this is my first Commander (bigger family - needed the 7 seats)...
Anyway, I got me a 2010 Jeep commander a couple of month ago, I'm pretty happy with it so far, already took it camping with the family. But I have to lift this car and put some bigger tires soon to fall in love with it completely.

So, I was simply gonna go with a RC lift kit, but I decided to do some research first, and now I'm pretty confused

Options:

Should I go with the 2" RC kit and replace the shocks at the same time?
Should I go with the 2" RC kit and replace the shocks later?
Do I need to replace the springs?
Should I go with the Old Man Emu kit (high price) but replace it all at once? is it worth it?

All I want is bigger tires, a leveled jeep, and a smooth ride... I don't want to feel every bump in the road.

Thanks for all of your suggestion!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42 Points: 4,427, Level: 42
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Hay,

Welcome to the forum. which trim do you have on your XK, is it the hemi, how many miles do you have on it?

for a simple lift you can go with the spacer lift

RC & Rusty advertise a 2" lift

Rockyroad advertises a 2.25" Lift

your ride will eventually start sagging so you might need new shocks (depending on milage)

I recommend the Aftermarket UCA for lifted XKs, JBA has one and so does Rocky road, I have the JBA one.

I have the full OME HD lift and it is a stiffer ride.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega48er View Post
Hay,

Welcome to the forum. which trim do you have on your XK, is it the hemi, how many miles do you have on it?

for a simple lift you can go with the spacer lift

RC & Rusty advertise a 2" lift

Rockyroad advertises a 2.25" Lift

your ride will eventually start sagging so you might need new shocks (depending on milage)

I recommend the Aftermarket UCA for lifted XKs, JBA has one and so does Rocky road, I have the JBA one.

I have the full OME HD lift and it is a stiffer ride.
I got the Sports version with the smaller engine. 120K miles on it. It runs strong, but I can feel every bump in the road.
If I have to replace the shocks and/or the springs eventually, I was wondering if I should just go ahead and bite the bullet and install the OME kit that comes with all the parts? Old Man Emu Jeep Commander XK Medium Load Suspension Kit

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

If you do go with a full OME kit then I would recommend the MD kit. I have the HD kit on mine and it's a bumpy ride in the city, it's a little stiff for the family. The OME kits are totally worth it and I feel it's the proper way to lift our Commanders. Spacer lifts maintain the factory ride and if you're going to disassemble the front suspension to add the spacers you might as well replace whatever is in your budget and especially if it looks like they've never been replaced before considering your mileage. For example, you might not need new coils with the spacer lift but you would benefit from some good Bilstein shocks and struts. You might also consider new sway bar bushings and check your tie rod end links. It also wouldn't hurt to see how bad your ball joints are.

It is recommended, but not required, to use aftermarket upper control arms such as the Jeep by Al ones so that it corrects the angle on the upper ball joint and relieves some stress on it when lifting our Commanders.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
cgajes likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyCommander View Post
If you do go with a full OME kit then I would recommend the MD kit. I have the HD kit on mine and it's a bumpy ride in the city, it's a little stiff for the family. The OME kits are totally worth it and I feel it's the proper way to lift our Commanders. Spacer lifts maintain the factory ride and if you're going to disassemble the front suspension to add the spacers you might as well replace whatever is in your budget and especially if it looks like they've never been replaced before considering your mileage. For example, you might not need new coils with the spacer lift but you would benefit from some good Bilstein shocks and struts. You might also consider new sway bar bushings and check your tie rod end links. It also wouldn't hurt to see how bad your ball joints are.

It is recommended, but not required, to use aftermarket upper control arms such as the Jeep by Al ones so that it corrects the angle on the upper ball joint and relieves some stress on it when lifting our Commanders.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Thanks for the tip. I'm convinced and will order my OME Kit this week. I'll check for the bushings, tie rod end links and ball joints cost and see if I can afford them right now, any recommendations?

Thanks again!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I received the 2" Old Man EMU kit yesterday! I'll attempt installation this weekend... Can't wait to get the new tires!!!
luckyse7ens likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 AM
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Hey man, I went with the rough country 2" lift. It's just spacers but made a huge difference on my commander. I did it myself and kept going back and forth on the RC 2" and rocky road 2 1/4" but after a month of research I went with the rough country. As I'm sure you've noticed, the stock commander sits "nose heavy" which i wasn't a fan of. But both kits are spaced lifts which use your stock suspension and don't require replacing your arm bars or other mods. I actually really like the rough country, it doesn't ride stiff and even though it says it's a 2", it raises the front about 3.5" with 2" in the back and evens out the dive. It SUCKED to install myself (as all lifts will) and the videos/instructions aren't exactly what is required to get it on but now that it's done, I would recommend the rough country 2" and it's cheap. Like $150 cheap with good quality parts. Hope that helps! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:00 AM
Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25 Points: 1,849, Level: 25
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

+1 on OME lift kits, I've met couple of guys on them and are very impressed. A new upper control arms will make it even better, should be worth adding while you are there. Update us how it feels.
cgajes likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty92 View Post
+1 on OME lift kits, I've met couple of guys on them and are very impressed. A new upper control arms will make it even better, should be worth adding while you are there. Update us how it feels.
I just googled the "upper control arms"... some go for around $60 and some for around $450...
I notice the most expensive ones are recommend for vehicles with a lift, but, is it really worth spending that much money for something its not even broke? What else would I gain by changing this? better ride perhaps?

Thanks!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgajes View Post
I just googled the "upper control arms"... some go for around $60 and some for around $450...
I notice the most expensive ones are recommend for vehicles with a lift, but, is it really worth spending that much money for something its not even broke? What else would I gain by changing this? better ride perhaps?

Thanks!
The stock will eventually give out. It will happen on a down travel event, especially if you add larger tires. The upper arms are made for the weight of original equipment and angles that are supported by the original design. All of that goes out the window once you lift and throw on those big beef eaters that hurl mud at all the little grass eating leaf cars.

They are not cheap, but what is your plan for the rig really? I am going to keep mine until the roof falls off and then maybe call it a convertible.

Do you need them right this second? no. Do you hit the rocks a lot? if that is a not really, then again not a super huge need right now.
I you do plan to trail the more exotic trails, then I would invest. If you plan to keep all four tires on the ground when trail driving, then you will be fine for many miles and smiles.

Dave
cgajes likes this.

'06 Hemi Limited 4X4, 6(ish)" lift, 35" General Red Letter, 2" spacers, Mopar CAI, RER and mygig lockpick, blue Interior LEDs, stub antenna 3", Callahan Red Brake set, 6.1L SRT8 exaust headers, full custom 3" exhaust from headers back, Fastman 847 ported TB, BBK Fuel Rails, 6.1L injectors, JBA UCAs, Nitro gear 4:10, SA hidden front winch mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in