Jeep Commander Forum banner

JKS Rear Sway Bar Quick Disconnects

25K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  cmdr jim 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing the quick disconnects on Friday. I was able to take a few pictures during the install since some of adam's were a little blury. His instructions were great however the sizes he stated were wrong, well at least the were for my year Commander. Both the upper and lower bolts for the stock sway bar were 18 mm. Not 17 mm for the top and 3/4 for the bottom like stated. Anyways, the install went smooth and the results are amazing!

Picture of stock sway bar end link.
[/IMG]

New JKS Quick Disconnects.
[/IMG]

Old vs. New
[/IMG]

Old end link off.
[/IMG]

lower end of disconnect installed on sway bar.
[/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
Qick Disconnect installed.
[/IMG]

Just a little Flex.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

#3 ·
That is great ,,, well done :)

in this pic, was the link disconnected? or set to longer length?

Was there any rubbing in the other pushed tire?

Any tension on the break lines?

#4 ·
Looking Good, Bro! How do you keep the sway bar out of the way when it's disconnected? Thanks for the write up and pics!

Slainte'
Shannon

#5 ·
07 is correct on the size of the bolts I didn't have the right metric sockets for my 1/2" drive so I just had to assume based on the sockets I did have. Great pics, Is that the point where your rear tire lost traction?

#6 ·
Ahmed said:
That is great ,,, well done :)

in this pic, was the link disconnected? or set to longer length?

Was there any rubbing in the other pushed tire?

Any tension on the break lines?
The link was disconnected at the time of the picture. There was no rubbing on the other tire. As for the break lines there was no tension.

#7 ·
IrishmanO'C said:
Looking Good, Bro! How do you keep the sway bar out of the way when it's disconnected? Thanks for the write up and pics!

Slainte'
Shannon
Im really not sure how to keep it out of the way. Haha. Adam mentioned using a bungie or something. When i disconnected mine i just pushed them forward and they stayed where they were at due to the tension of the top bolt holding them in. I assume they would stay there while off roading.

#8 ·
adamag25 said:
07 is correct on the size of the bolts I didn't have the right metric sockets for my 1/2" drive so I just had to assume based on the sockets I did have. Great pics, Is that the point where your rear tire lost traction?
No that wasn't the point where it lost traction. The tree stump was not big enough to flex all the way out. I cound not find anything larger in the yard to flex on.

#9 ·
It would be very good if you can manage to get some pics to show how to disconnect the links.

How much you payed for it?

#10 ·
If you look at the 6th Picture, you just pull the pin on the bottom of the Quick disconnect and thats it. Very Easy. I paid $130.

#11 ·
07JeepXK said:
Im really not sure how to keep it out of the way. Haha. Adam mentioned using a bungie or something. When i disconnected mine i just pushed them forward and they stayed where they were at due to the tension of the top bolt holding them in. I assume they would stay there while off roading.
I've been running these on the front of my TJ for a couple years now. They won't stay put without something to hold them out of the way. Sooner or later they will try their evil best to wiggle down into the most obscure, breakable spot they can find.

I tried bungee cords. That lasted less than a mile on my first hardcore trail. Fortunately, better prepared jeepers had some heavy duty zip ties that lasted the rest of the trip.

JKS sent a pair of mounting studs with my kit. The idea is to find a place out of the way on the frame to mount the stud. When the disco is pulled, you put it onto the stud and lock it in place with the same pin.

Once I finally got mine installed, I have had no more problems. But I won't try bungees again!

#12 ·
sespe, can you take a photo of your set up that we can add to the HOW TO section?

#13 ·
So if you disconnect the sway bars say for a weekend trip to the trail - do you have to have the brake lines relocated as Get Lost mentioned earlier?

#14 ·
another thing to think about. if you have long travel shocks like me, if you flex the suspension to the max the rear springs will fall out. its pretty easy to fix if you are not in the middle of a freezing river. ask me how i know. it would not be hard to keep the springs in place. i'm going to get to those parts as well.

and you need to extend the brake lines.

anyone interested in extended brake lines?

#16 ·
I can disconnect them and not worry about anything even with the 2 inch BDS lift. Only because i have stock shocks on the rear which limit the travel. My springs wont fall out and my brake lines are fine!

#18 ·
So this might be a stupid question then, since I have the stock shocks still in place, do I achieve any added articulation by disconnecting the sway bars?

#19 · (Edited)
You have almost the same setup as i do (lift and stock shocks) and i notice a huge difference with them disconnected so id have to say YES!

#20 ·
thanks - I think I'll try it this weekend with the sway bars out.

#21 ·
One more question - with the sway bar disconnected - does the sway bar itself remain in an "upright position" or does it rotate down? I'm sure I'll find this out when I take of the "connectors", but want to make sure so I'm not surprised either way.

#22 ·
Once you disconnect the end links the sway bar stays where it is. So you dont have to worry about it at all.

#23 ·
Great - thanks for the info and help - this thread will come in handy again after taxes next year when I can afford the disconnects and new wheels! And hopefully, I'll be able to take a trip out to WY to visit the official JeepCommander Forum shop for some more accessories.

#25 ·
Since mine won't come off until Sunday night for my Monday trail ride - I'll hae to defer to those that know...

#27 ·
with the links disconnected and longer shocks: the break lines need to be extended, the springs need to be held in place so they don't fall out, and the upper control arm will contact the gas tank skid plate.

with the links disconnected and stock shocks: the break lines are not in danger, the spring will not fall out, and the upper control arm will not contact the gas tank skid plate

#32 ·
with the links disconnected and longer shocks: the break lines need to be extended, the springs need to be held in place so they don't fall out, and the upper control arm will contact the gas tank skid plate.

with the links disconnected and stock shocks: the break lines are not in danger, the spring will not fall out, and the upper control arm will not contact the gas tank skid plate
So, I am assuming those of us with the Rocky Road lift who opted for their shocks fall into the first category, correct?

#28 ·
bjamrow: One more question - with the sway bar disconnected - does the sway bar itself remain in an "upright position" or does it rotate down? I'm sure I'll find this out when I take of the "connectors", but want to make sure so I'm not surprised either way.

I was wheelin' with a guy that only disconnected the bottom pin on his Wrangler and the disconnect speared his brake line. Luckily someone had a spare. Make sure you secure the link up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.