New Commander Owner - Need help building up my Jeep! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New Commander Owner - Need help building up my Jeep!

Hello All! I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander, 5.7 HEMI, Outlander, Quada-Drive II. It appears to have a basic 2" lift (strut and spring spacers) with 31" tires. I bought this to build memories with my kids, so would like to get it trail ready as soon as possible.

I'd like to put a 4" lift on it (with 33" tires assuming), a roof rack, a front bumper with winch mount, and a rear bumper with spare mount. I would appreciate some experienced Commander owners to recommend best components to achieve this build (on a budget). Your input is appreciated! Here are some concerns/guidelines:

- 4" lift kits - From what I've read, Superlift is the best??? Old Man Emu is good, but may wear out your front axle joints quicker since the front differential is not lowered, and the ride angle of your front shafts are then greater. Since I have a 2" suspension spacer lift, could I just add a 2" body lift and call it a day? Are there other good/affordable suspension lifts? What about doing an OME lift, and somehow lowering the front differential a bit? My issue with the Superlift is that it's expensive, and I would likely have to pay someone to install it for me. I'm sure I could do an OME install myself, but I don't want it to cost me more in the long run by ruining my front drivetrain. So looking for some affordable ideas. (Does the Superlift kit come with detailed installation instructions?)

(I realize how aggressive I intend to drive it can dictate the lift. Let's just say I'd like to build it right the first time, and not have to change it out later as I get more aggressive with the vehicle. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to handle most obstacles short of extreme rock crawling.)

- Rear bumper with tire mount questions: Are there any that allow you to keep your stock/factory back up camera in place? Or do you have to move the camera or install a new camera? Foregoing a new rear bumper is an option too, if under the vehicle can hold a 33" tire??? Is that possible? I don't like the idea of storing the tire on the roof rack, cause I lose the space for camping gear (I have a family of 6). What's the biggest tire I can store under the truck?

- Front bumper questions: I've seen some brush guards with winch mounts. Are these as good as just replacing the whole bumper, or is it better to replace the whole bumper?

- Roof rack questions: I'd like to add some LED lights too. Are there roof racks that come with the LEDs already installed? Any other things I should look for in a roof rack?

- The previous owner lost the factory front differential skid plate, so I need to replace. I think some front bumpers come with front skid plates, but I don't know if they protect the differential. Any companies out there sell replacement skid plates, or bumper/skid plate combos out there?

Please be gentle, I'm a new 4x4 owner (never owned one before), but excited to get on some light trails with my family. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
You say you want to do all of this "on a budget".

I hope it's a large budget my friend cause I'd say you are looking at least $8,000 for everything you want to do and it could easily be more if you are paying for labor too.

Welcome to the forum, here are some good links to get you started:

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

A lot of general Commander questions are answered in the thread listed below.

Start with the 2nd post in the thread, take your time and read it in it's entirety, there is a lot of good info throughout.

Looking to Buy
TwoBobsXK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-22-2016 at 03:33 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks Big Blue

Thanks Big Blue

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammando View Post
Thanks Big Blue
Anytime, welcome aboard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Tags
lift help , new commander build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in