Superlift vibration issues with QDII? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11 Points: 585, Level: 11
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Superlift vibration issues with QDII?

So I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI, and Quada-Drive II.

I was just ready to pull the trigger on buying a 4" Superlift kit for it, when Superlift mentioned that almost half of the people who install these on "all wheel drive" Commandos experience a vibration when driving. They did not specify at what speed or anything, just that they suspect it's from the front drive shaft.

I'm new to off road vehicles, so forgive my ignorance here...

So I've read on this forum that Quada-Drive II is the best Commando four wheel drive system. It is however, an "all wheel drive" system, right?

That said, is there an issue I should be concerned about before moving forward with the 4" Superlift kit? Has anyone else experienced this issue with QDII and a superlift kit? Is the problem and rememdy known by those in this forum?

One thought would be if there is a way to turn off the AWD function of the QDII when just road driving. Is that possible?

Now I'm nervous about buying a 4" Superlift kit. Any advice would be appreciated? I couldn't find any threads on hear directly discussing vibration issues for QDII with a 4" Superlift kit. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Welcome to the forum Commando, I can't help you with your lift problem, but can tell you that there is no way to disable the all the time 4wd on the QDII.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
You can't turn off 4-HI which is the full-time 4WD function.

You can turn off the 4 wheel traction control & electronic stability control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-28-2016 at 11:37 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:36 AM
Points: 3,668, Level: 38 Points: 3,668, Level: 38 Points: 3,668, Level: 38
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammando View Post
So I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI, and Quada-Drive II.

I was just ready to pull the trigger on buying a 4" Superlift kit for it, when Superlift mentioned that almost half of the people who install these on "all wheel drive" Commandos experience a vibration when driving. They did not specify at what speed or anything, just that they suspect it's from the front drive shaft.

I'm new to off road vehicles, so forgive my ignorance here...

So I've read on this forum that Quada-Drive II is the best Commando four wheel drive system. It is however, an "all wheel drive" system, right?

That said, is there an issue I should be concerned about before moving forward with the 4" Superlift kit? Has anyone else experienced this issue with QDII and a superlift kit? Is the problem and rememdy known by those in this forum?

One thought would be if there is a way to turn off the AWD function of the QDII when just road driving. Is that possible?

Now I'm nervous about buying a 4" Superlift kit. Any advice would be appreciated? I couldn't find any threads on hear directly discussing vibration issues for QDII with a 4" Superlift kit. Please help.
My Commando has the QD-II and SL 4" and I can tell you that there is a certain vibration, kind of a harmonic at 30-35 mph that you can feel in the steering wheel and also creates kind of a buzz in the dashboard. On my Jeep this may be more tire related though, as a recent rotation seemed to enhance the vibration.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 PM
Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46 Points: 5,236, Level: 46
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tisoy909 Send a message via Yahoo to Tisoy909
Hey do any of you guys know a place to get a good price on the Superlift 4" now? Im finding ebay and Amazon at pretty much the same price but then I browse Craigslist there are some local ads, here in Cali showing around the $1899 mark. Mine is an 07' Hemi with the QDII. Just thought i'd throw it out there since im just about ready.... Thanks in advance!

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.6 Hemi - 1.5" Spidertraxx - Bilstein 5100 Front with 2plates of Rusty's spacers - RC 2" inch rear with Bilstein 5100 - Pinch Weld Mod - stock JK's with Nitto Trail Grappler 265/70R17

Last edited by Tisoy909; 01-02-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92 Points: 21,475, Level: 92
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammando View Post
Just to clarify, all wheel drive systems are generally categorized as systems where all 4 wheels are engaged all the time, typically without any additional 4WD capabilities.

The closest thing a Jeep Commander has to all wheel drive would be the Quadra-Trac I 4WD system - but even Quadra-Trac I has the additional enhanced capabilities of 4 wheel traction control and electronic stability control, which in my view, makes it more capable then just a normal "all wheel drive" system.

Once you step up to Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II, you now have a 2 speed transfer case at your disposal which gives you the ability to drop down into 4-LOW and this is the distinction between an "All Wheel Drive" System and a LEGIT 4WD system in the realm of today's technology. Both Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II use the same NV245 transfer case.

Then Quadra-Drive II gives you the additional capability of an electronic limited slip differential which is as good as it gets in the Jeep Commander world.

Rear end gearing is also a factor.

4WD Commanders that are Trail-Rated will have 3.73 gears in the rear end for maximum low-end torque.

I have Quadra-Trac II with 3.73 gears and even without the electronic limited slip differential, I'm here to tell you that when I drop into 4-LOW, it feels like there isn't anywhere I can't go.

My XK is a Big Blue Tank.

Last edited by Big Blue; 01-04-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Tags
qdii , quadra drive ii , superlift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in