Got some JBA uppers. Should I replace struts? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
ulv
Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Got some JBA uppers. Should I replace struts?

Per many recommendations here, I have a box of JBA upper control arms sitting in a box. I have not installed them yet because I am debating if I should replace the struts since I will be down there anyway.

2007 Commander, only has 54,000 (heh don't kill me). But I put new Bilstein 5100 shocks in the back when I threw the lift on, as the dealer told me one of the stock shocks was leaky. Front still has stock struts.

So my questions are, should I bother replacing the struts at low mileage? Or do it since I'll be down there and the shocks in the back are new.
Also, any strut recommendations for someone who offroads one a month? Bilstein seems to market their 4600s for road use only.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,393, Level: 92 Points: 21,393, Level: 92 Points: 21,393, Level: 92
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulv View Post
Per many recommendations here, I have a box of JBA upper control arms sitting in a box. I have not installed them yet because I am debating if I should replace the struts since I will be down there anyway.

2007 Commander, only has 54,000 (heh don't kill me). But I put new Bilstein 5100 shocks in the back when I threw the lift on, as the dealer told me one of the stock shocks was leaky. Front still has stock struts.

So my questions are, should I bother replacing the struts at low mileage? Or do it since I'll be down there and the shocks in the back are new.
Also, any strut recommendations for someone who offroads one a month? Bilstein seems to market their 4600s for road use only.

Thanks
Despite the common misconception, XK's actually have shocks in the front not struts.

I have Bilstein B6 4600's (Part # 24-186797) in the front and I have no complaints.

As far as replacing them at low mileage - if you have at least 50,000 miles on your factory front shocks and you are replacing the upper control arms anyway, I'd pull the trigger and replace the front shocks at the same time, that's one less thing for you to worry about down the road.

Funny thing is I just had my JBA Upper Control Arms for lifted XK's shipped yesterday.

JBA Upper Control Arms Jeep Commander Replaces PN 52090206

I'm gonna have them put in around April 10th.

I figured with the extra weight of the hidden winch mount WAM custom steel front bumper I'm getting ready to order, it would probably be a good idea to beef up the front end a little more.

I spoke to Natalie from WAM Bumpers Friday evening and she will be e-mailing all the info on their custom front bumper options so I can pick one out and order it. I want one with the hidden winch mount - and a winch of course - hopefully I can get that ordered in the next day or 2 so that it will hopefully be ready around the 3rd week of April to be installed.

That's the plan anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,986, Level: 100 Points: 58,986, Level: 100 Points: 58,986, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Despite the common misconception, XK's actually have shocks in the front not struts.
I bought my 2006 brand new and it came from the factory with struts in the front and shocks in the rear.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 03-25-2017 at 01:26 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
I bought my 2006 brand new and it came from the factory with struts in the front and shocks in the rear.
https://youtu.be/h8uEA50thsQ
Commanders do not come from the factory with struts in the front Tom - they come with coilover shock absorbers.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-25-2017 at 11:14 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Points: 1,108, Level: 18 Points: 1,108, Level: 18 Points: 1,108, Level: 18
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
https://youtu.be/h8uEA50thsQ
Quote:
My 2008 came with shocks.
did they switch in the middle of the production run.. or are you guys just talking semantics?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 AM

2WD
Monroe Suspension 58646 Load Adjusting Shock Absorber - Rear fit Jeep Commander

I guess you can put "Struts" on the rear too.. lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedl View Post
did they switch in the middle of the production run.. or are you guys just talking semantics?
There is a thread where I went into alot more detail about this with another member and it also has some detailed pics, I'm trying to find it.

When I do, I'll post the link here so you can see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: took me a while to find it, but here it is;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-photos-6.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK
I'm trying to decide if I want to do an RC lift or just replace shocks and springs. Decisions, decisions... I do have experience with full lift cuz I did the full Monty on my KJ with JBA Coilovers, OME rear springs, wheels, tires, regearing, etc. so this isn't a new concept to me. But had to buy new tires for the XK since the 'all weather' tires that were on it when I bought it in November didn't work for me - I do a lot of traveling in the snow belt areas of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Western New York. I bought a set of good AT's so not real excited about buying another set of tires to suit a lift (the XK would look so goofy with the stock tires on an RC lift, wouldn't it?)

Anyway, thinking about buying a set of Quick Struts for the front (poorly named) and the Monroe SensaTrac coilover shocks for the rear to give it a 1" boost. Thoughts?

Not trying to be nit picky but the front of the XK/WK uses coilover shocks and not struts (early post in this thread called them McPherson struts.) Since the XK has both upper and lower control arms the front, the spring/shock combo doesn't control lateral forces or position the top of the spindle - the upper control arms do that. The front shock simply has a spring on the outside of it - hence the term "coilover." So the front shocks need replacing at the same time as the rears since they are doing the same type of work - and arguably more since there is so much more weight in the front than the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
Bob,

I hear what your saying Bob, but, I have always heard the front suspension of XK's referred to as struts - because the shock and the spring appear, at a glance, to be one component.

Now that being said, I went to Bilstein's website and my Bilstein B6 4600's (that I have in the front) are actually listed as shock absorbers - not struts.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/24-186797

But when I read this, you can sort of see the difference between the two;

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/d...ocksstruts.cfm

Here is one of my front B6 4600's installed - with what Bilstein has pictured as a strut, right next to it for comparison - and then there is a picture of a B6 4600 shock absorber - without the spring installed to the right of the strut.

Side by side, you can clearly see that there is a difference between the two - but they do look similar - somewhat.

So Bob, I would say your statement that they are actually shocks in the front and not struts - is correct.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-25-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM

2WD
Quote:
There is a thread where I went into alot more detail about this with another member and it also has some detailed pics, I'm trying to find it.

When I do, I'll post the link here so you can see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: took me a while to find it, but here it is;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-photos-6.html
wow

thats craziness.. they sure the hell look like struts
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by housedl View Post
wow

thats craziness.. they sure the hell look like struts
I thought the same exact thing and I was calling them struts too - until the day I had that conversation - it's an easy misinterpretation to make.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
ulv
Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31 Points: 2,658, Level: 31
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Got it! Will be getting the 4600s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in