Spacer lift installed. Front sitting too high - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Spacer lift installed. Front sitting too high

Just installed 2.5"/2" front/rear spacer lift. Everything went together without a hitch, but the front end is now sitting about 1" higher than it is supposed to. Installed the rear and it lifted exactly 2". I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear. After I installed the right front and dropped it to the ground, both left and right fronts ended up sitting about an inch higher (3.5") than they are supposed to. Any clue what I did wrong in the "put everything back together" stage of the install? Did I do something out of order causing both sides in front to sit an inch too high?
TIA
- Jeremy

Jeremy
2010 Commander 3.7 Sport
17" Moab black wheels -- 245/70 Hankook Dynapro ATM -- 1" wheel spacers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39 Points: 3,844, Level: 39
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 99,000
Garage
Lightbulb Newly Installed

If you just lowered the XK to the ground after installing the kit, and measured it then I would take it around the block a couple of times ans see if the XK stretches a little bit and settles in to where it wants to be. May be have your alignment checked?

Swanny
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsjeremy View Post
Just installed 2.5"/2" front/rear spacer lift. Everything went together without a hitch, but the front end is now sitting about 1" higher than it is supposed to. Installed the rear and it lifted exactly 2". I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear. After I installed the right front and dropped it to the ground, both left and right fronts ended up sitting about an inch higher (3.5") than they are supposed to. Any clue what I did wrong in the "put everything back together" stage of the install? Did I do something out of order causing both sides in front to sit an inch too high?
TIA
- Jeremy
First off, I'll reiterate what Swanny said - Go get an alignment done ASAP. It won't effect the way your Commander is sitting - but when you have that big a change in your suspension geometry, a post-lift alignment is an absolute must-do, or you will kill your tires in no time at all.

Now that being said Jeremy, I'll say this; I don't think you did anything wrong and I'll use this pic of my XK when it was stock - when I first bought it to illustrate why;

See how my Commander sitting when it was stock - with the rear higher than the front?

Most spacer lifts, like the RC lift for example are designed to be leveling lifts.

Well how do they accomplish leveling the Commander out?

Well, the spacers in the front are typically designed about an inch to an inch and a half higher than the spacers for the rear and are designed to raise the front an inch to an inch and a half higher than they raise the back - to have your Commander sit perfectly level - or very close to perfectly level.

So if you ask what did you do wrong? I would say absolutely nothing - other than maybe not being aware of what the lift you were going to install was supposed to do.

Even though it raised the front an inch and a half higher than the rear - I'd bet your Commander is sitting perfectly level - or very close to it.

That's what spacer lifts are designed to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-20-2017 at 06:59 PM.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16

4WD
Current Mileage: 136000
Garage
" I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear."
From this statement it was level but after the other side was installed it's now nose high by an inch, so the rake now is reversed

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMICOMMANDERStl View Post
" I next installed the left front, lowered it to the ground and it sat perfect, 2.5" and even with the rear."
From this statement it was level but after the other side was installed it's now nose high by an inch, so the rake now is reversed
I'm curious to know if he actually measured the front and back as it sits now, with a tape measure.

Spacer lifts do give the illusion that the front looks higher than the rear - when it actually is not.

I'd like to see/hear what the actual height in inches is, on a level surface, from the ground to the center/bottom of each fender flare front & back.

In other words, this distance measured (see pic below) on both the front and back fender flares.

Then you'll know without any question, if it's really sitting an inch high in the front - or not.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-21-2017 at 04:03 AM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
To me the more accurate measurement is from the center of the wheel to the lip of the flare. There are lots of different tire sizes which adds or detracts from lifts when we compare - but the center of the wheel to the flare remains consistent since the tire size is removed from the equation.

Also, the front wheel opening is bigger than the rear opening so if the ground-to-flare measurement is the same the front will actually be slightly lower than the rear. I measure the height from the ground to the top edge of the rocker just below the doors - one measurement at the front edge of the front door and the rear edge of the rear door. On mine, the height from the ground to those two points is 18 3/4" - so my XK is sitting exactly level. But the hub-to-flare measurement in the front is 22" and the hub-to-flare in the rear is 21 1/2" - the difference is the larger opening of the front wheel well.

When comparing lift heights of our XK's if we all use the hub-to-flare method we know how much lift we have compared to others. There are too many different tire sizes to get an accurate idea of lift measuring from the ground to the flare.

My 2 cents...

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
4WD
Current Mileage: 126000
Take some pictures and we'll tell you what we think
Big Blue likes this.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobula View Post
Take some pictures and we'll tell you what we think
Posting some pics would definitely be helpful.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 170,000
Garage
This thread has me concerned as I was going to order the RC lift and spacers this week. I did see one lifted XK the other day by me and the front also looked higher. It was a larger lift though. Maybe 4".
I'll prob just be running my stock tires for a while since they were just put on when I bought the XK.
Unless someone would want to buy my stock 245s. Then I may be able to persuade the boss lady into getting some larger tires. That would be nice, maybe I will post something in the for sale section after the lift gets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns134 View Post
This thread has me concerned as I was going to order the RC lift and spacers this week. I did see one lifted XK the other day by me and the front also looked higher. It was a larger lift though. Maybe 4".
I'll prob just be running my stock tires for a while since they were just put on when I bought the XK.
Unless someone would want to buy my stock 245s. Then I may be able to persuade the boss lady into getting some larger tires. That would be nice, maybe I will post something in the for sale section after the lift gets on.
To each his own.

I have the 2 inch RC Lift and it's been awesome for me, I have no complaints.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in