Monroe Load Levelers on a Unibody (Uniframe) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Suspension / Lifts This is the place to discuss the suspension, lift systems, and other stuff underneath your Jeep Commander

1Likes
  • 1 Post By consumedbywater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Monroe Load Levelers on a Unibody (Uniframe)

Just finished getting an alignment done. First thing the mechanic asked is why I have rear load leveler shocks mounted on this unibody vehicle. He said these will destroy a unibody based on the upper mounting point and the pressure involved.

I know tons of you run them and I wanted your input/thoughts.

I am currently running the F-150 Monroes (58643) with a 2" rear spacer lift. Monroe also offers the load levelers 58646 specific for the Commander. Why would they offer them if they SHOULD NOT be used, and would it lessen the unibody impact using the 58646 designed for the Commander even though they are still load leveling?? Will the 58646 still serve their 'load leveling' qualities/purpose on a 2" lifted rear?

I just looked up the specs on the Bilstein 5100 (33-225807) that I know a lot of you run as well on your lifted XK's, and the specs basically match the OME shocks, but are designed for lifted vehicles.

I plan on driving this thing into the ground since it's paid for, so I don't want to jack anything else up.

Monroe 911278 (OME replacement)
Compressed Length 15.125"
Extended Length 24.250"

Monroe 58646 (Commander Load Leveling)
Compressed Length 15.160"
Extended Length 24.870"

Monroe 58643 (F-150 Load Leveling)
Compressed Length 16.59"
Extended Length 27.55"

Bilstein 5100
Compressed Length 15.39"
Extended Length 24.76"

I think all that makes sense...

Jeremy
2010 Commander 3.7 Sport
17" Moab black wheels -- 245/70 Hankook Dynapro ATM -- 1" wheel spacers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
IMO that mechanic's comments are silly...

MANY have run load levelers and no problems at all. Granted, the Monroes will place consistent pressure on both upper and lower mounting points when there is a load that compresses the coilover spring, but that load is insignificant compared to driving down a washboard road and the shocks are having force exerted on them both on compression and rebound. If the mounting points can't handle that pressure then time to turn in the Commander and get something that is engineered properly (sarcasm...) Lots of owners of lifted Libertys run the load levelers and the mounting system is almost exactly the same as the XK - same weld nut in the upper mount and lower mount attached to the axle. No issues and I've personally seen the KJ's with load levelers wheeled HARD.

The vast majority of the Jeep's weight is still on the springs - the Monroes are just helpers. My vote is in the "Don't worry about it" column...

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

Last edited by TwoBobsXK; 05-25-2017 at 10:14 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21 Points: 1,406, Level: 21
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsXK View Post
IMO that mechanic's comments are silly...

MANY have run load levelers and no problems at all. Granted, the Monroes will place consistent pressure on both upper and lower mounting points when there is a load that compresses the coilover spring, but that load is insignificant compared to driving down a washboard road and the shocks are having force exerted on them both on compression and rebound. If the mounting points can't handle that pressure then time to turn in the Commander and get something that is engineered properly (sarcasm...) Lots of owners of lifted Libertys run the load levelers and the mounting system is almost exactly the same as the XK - same weld nut in the upper mount and lower mount attached to the axle. No issues and I've personally seen the KJ's with load levelers wheeled HARD.

The vast majority of the Jeep's weight is still on the springs - the Monroes are just helpers. My vote is in the "Don't worry about it" column...

Bob
Ha, thanks Bob. After some more research throughout the day, I am sticking with them. However, since I dont tow anything ridiculous like a boat, (typically either my bike on a hitch bike rack, or my dirt bike on a hitch carrier) are the F150 LL overkill? Even with the 2" lift I'm wondering if I should just stick with the Commander LL monroes... I'm not necessarily looking for the extra 1" or so the f150 LL provide.

Jeremy
2010 Commander 3.7 Sport
17" Moab black wheels -- 245/70 Hankook Dynapro ATM -- 1" wheel spacers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
The primary reason to switch to the F150 load leveling shocks is the extra length. I'm not sure how the stiffness of the Commander shocks compares to the F150 versions, but the extra length of the F150 versions is very beneficial for a 2" lift.

When you bump up to a taller rear end, the Commander length shocks top out before wheel travel ends, effectively limiting your wheel travel. This reduces the life of the shock as well as your wheel travel.
TwoBobsXK likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92 Points: 21,500, Level: 92
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Commander OEM rear shocks have exactly 9 inches of travel (15.25" fully collapsed and 24.25" fully extended).

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ck-length.html

Bilstein 5100's (33-225807) have slightly more travel 9.37 inches of travel (Collapsed Length (IN): 15.39 Extended Length (IN): 24.76)

Bilstein - Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorber - 33-225807 | 4WheelParts.com

So, it's collapsed length at rest is .14 inches longer and it's fully extended length is .51 inches longer than the factory shocks.

While rear axle travel is a factor for replacing the OEM rear shocks - it's not the only factor; the 5100 also has superior internal valving compared to the factory OEM gas shocks.

5100 Series - Shock Absorbers
Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorbers are high gas pressure monotube shocks designed specifically for lifted pickups, SUVs and Jeeps. The shocks feature a 46mm digressive piston with self-adjusting deflective disc valving. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling or occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (zinc-plated steel body, Triple-C-Technology® coating)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-26-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Suspension / Lifts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in